MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Health Innovation Lecture Series: Chronic Conditions & Child Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-15-2010 09:33 PM

health sci or kin

Old 02-26-2011 at 12:48 PM   #46
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

There's a million things you can do with a health science degree, just like there is a million things you can do with a life science, social science, basically any non specific degree. I really don't understand when people say 'what can you do with that degree if you don't get into med school?' Well basically the same things as a science degree... Here's a link to what our graduates do after university. Covers everywhere from law, medicine, dentistry, and a lot more. http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/graduates.html

alh24 says thanks to Chandlerowns for this post.
Old 02-26-2011 at 03:59 PM   #47
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by igeorge25 View Post
only programs leading to a PROFESSIONAL degree (medicine, nursing, dentistry, OT/PT, etc...) have clinical components because it is mandatory for them to learn, as after they graduate they will be able to practice some form of patient care.

no other program that is not leading to a professional degree can have any clinical aspect. it is unethical, unnecessary and illegal. just thought I would clarify for the OP. as a 2nd year undergrad, nursing is the only program that will have this component but I've heard it's hard to get really high courses in nursing which works against you when you want to apply to medicine. just saying.
Med Rad Sci also has a clinical component I believe. It seems a good rule of thumb is, as you mentioned, asking the question "Can I work immediately after getting this degree?" If so, you probably have a mandatory clinical component in that program.

Though I don't think it's illegal, or even unethical to have clinical aspects in any 'non-professional' degree programs. What I mean is, what makes a 2nd year nursing student more qualified than a 2nd year Health Sci student? Perhaps after getting some experience in a clinical environment the nurses become more qualified, but right when you start out...I think it's just as 'unethical.'

That being said, I think you hit the nail on the head with your third point: It's unnecessary to have clinical components to these degrees, in particular for those who want to do something besides something in the medical field. Most prospective medical students in say, Kin or Health sci, are getting exposure to the clinical environment by volunteering. I knew a couple of Kin students (back in the day) who worked at the gym as "sports medicine assistants" (not sure if there's an official title) for some of the Mac sports teams while in their 4th year, after having taken and excelled in a course in sports medicine.

------------

^^And as Chandlerowns mentioned above, a Health Science degree is just like a general Science degree...but this means that what you learn is based on the courses you take, and not on the specific major of study. Someone in biochem may be just as qualified as someone in physics, if they take sufficiently many physics electives. In Health Sci, your elective choices will often dictate what 'alternative career choices' you have.

Last edited by Mowicz : 02-26-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2011 at 04:07 PM   #48
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

health sci seems to be the easier way out imo
Old 02-26-2011 at 04:26 PM   #49
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Also in Kin, in 4th year there is the opportunity to take a placement course, where you can choose your own placement. I'm taking it right now, and I'm doing my placement one day a week in a clinic at Chedoke. So in Kin, there is the opportunity for clinical experience as well
Old 02-27-2011 at 01:28 AM   #50
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandlerowns View Post
I really don't understand when people say 'what can you do with that degree if you don't get into med school?' Well basically the same things as a science degree...
Not exactly. For example, you couldn't go to a graduate degree in math/physics/compsci (unless of course you've prepared well in advance). With that said, self-directed learning seems to be the best part about health-sci. You truly have a lot of options, and if you play your cards right, it will open many doors. Having a general degree has its advantages and disadvantages. You need to be aware, and plan things out.