MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM

Health Sci vs Art Sci

Old 09-21-2014 at 05:02 PM   #1
HealthSci/Kin

Liked: 3 Times

Health Sci vs Art Sci
Hey I am a senior in high school applying to both health sci and art sci. I just wanted ask people who are in art sci and health sci what they most like and dislike about each program? Also if you could go back to your senior year would you make the same decision to accept the offer to the program you chose or would you change your decision? Also what are you planning to do after health sci or art sci?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2014 at 05:55 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

If you dislike group work, I'd recommend against health sciences. Do some reading on what problem-based learning (PBL) is, and then ask yourself if you want most of your courses to be taught like that.

I wasn't in health sciences, nor did I apply, because one of my high school teachers explained the group work aspect as "the group work I make you guys do that you all hate". After coming to Mac and actually seeing what it's like, I don't regret that decision for a second - I would have hated to be in health sciences. As for what people do after health sci, I believe they publish an annual pie chart on their website of where the graduating class each year is going. Most of them go to med school - but just because you're in health sciences, that does not guarantee you admission. Every year there are health scis who don't get in to med school (though they are vastly outnumbered by the people who do get in )

Artsci is pretty cool. You can combine your degree with any one of a number of specializations, or choose to keep it general. They're a pretty tight-knit community, and it's a fairly unique program. If you have a wide range of interests spanning many faculties, or you aren't sure what exactly you want to do with your life, it's a good option. People have gone to grad school (in many different grad programs), as well as various professional schools from artsci.

In both cases you have the freedom to specialize or stay general, and your degree is really what you make of it.

HealthSci/Kin says thanks to starfish for this post.

HealthSci/Kin likes this.
Old 09-21-2014 at 06:30 PM   #3
HealthSci/Kin

starfish, is art sci a pre med program? Does it already have the prerequisites for medical school built in?
Old 09-21-2014 at 07:28 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Health sci and artsci are both NOT pre-med programs. The idea of a "pre-med program" is largely an American concept.
You do not require a specific program/major in order to get in to med school, you just need the required courses which you can get from nearly any program (and I think McMaster has no required courses).
Old 09-21-2014 at 07:31 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Just to add because it won't let me edit my previous post - neither of them has all of the prerequisites built in, either. For example, organic chemistry is a common requirement for med school, and it is not required in either healthsci or artsci (unless you are in a specialization that requires it).

HealthSci/Kin says thanks to starfish for this post.

HealthSci/Kin likes this.
Old 09-21-2014 at 08:24 PM   #6
HealthSci/Kin

how does the double major in art sci work? Also health sci and art sci both have inquiry courses, i know it's hard to describe but what is inquiry courses?
Old 09-21-2014 at 09:09 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

It's like problem-based learning. Many programs have inquiry courses, either as a requirement or an elective.

Going into second year, you can choose to apply to one of the combined programs that exist, or talk to the department about creating a combination if the one you want doesn't already exist. The required courses for each existing combined program are on the artsci website.
Old 01-26-2015 at 08:14 PM   #8
macrauder15

Liked: 0 Times

They're similar in that they both use PBL, but I think Health Sci has a lot more group work. IF you don't like group work don't go to health sci