MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome Day Coming Soon! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 07-13-2010 01:35 PM
USS Coming to Mac ageless_12 General Discussion 2 01-23-2009 09:30 PM
Cooling to Heating Switchover lorend MacInsiders Announcements 8 10-10-2008 06:39 AM

Heating? When is it coming

Old 09-17-2008 at 06:10 AM   #1
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Heating? When is it coming
Well for the second straight week, my room had hit a fuse..and I had to wake my CA up at 7am in the morning to get my power back

I called the Rez place and they aren't really sure..I dont know about everyone else, but Im always freezing my a** off in the morning!

So does anyone know when the heating will be on? I really dont want to bother my CA again

Old 09-17-2008 at 07:53 AM   #2
bauhaual

Liked: 0 Times

When u say u called the Rez place do you mean the service desk? Because they should be able to help you. And if they don't know when the heating gets turned on, then probably no one does.
Old 09-17-2008 at 07:53 AM   #3
danman324

Liked: 1 Time

heating doesn't come on until closer to winter time. last year in rez we were baking in the intense heat for all of september, complete opposite to now i suppose... btw what rez are you in?, cuz i know with McKay once the heating did come on it didn't work for some rooms and you have to talk to the front desk to get it fixed.
Old 09-17-2008 at 09:03 AM   #4
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

When I was in Brandon last year, the heating was on when we came back from Thanksgiving weekend. I'm not sure if that's when it always happens, but it would probably be a good idea to turn off your AC before you and your roommate go home for the weekend, just in case...a guy on my floor left his going full blast, and when he came back after they had switched it, his room was a sauna!
If the people at the service desk don't know when it's being switched, then I don't know what to tell you...maybe put on a few more blankets haha. But I'd say that mid to late October is probably a reasonable guess.
Old 09-17-2008 at 11:43 AM   #5
MaHaRaJaH

i believe it's suppose to turn on mid-october by law...
Old 09-17-2008 at 01:23 PM   #6
KaylaMarie

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
Well for the second straight week, my room had hit a fuse..and I had to wake my CA up at 7am in the morning to get my power back

I called the Rez place and they aren't really sure..I dont know about everyone else, but Im always freezing my a** off in the morning!

So does anyone know when the heating will be on? I really dont want to bother my CA again

Consider yourself lucky
It's currently 28.2 celcius in my room (82.7F)
Last week it was almost 30

I can't WAIT for winter at this point :(
Old 09-17-2008 at 07:59 PM   #7
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Im in Hedden and or room is constantly BOILING....a good 5 degrees hotter than it is outside in the hallway. We have rigged up a fan to our window which is always open, leave the fan on at full blast day and night, and we even have the air condition on high.

Yet it does nothing...I really dont understand it...I really cant wait for colder weather and I really hope the heating doesn't make our room even worse.
Old 09-17-2008 at 08:02 PM   #8
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I had the same problem in my first year, I called and called and they said it would come on in mid-october.

Old 09-17-2008 at 08:22 PM   #9
evansj6

i was in les prince a couple years ago and had a very hot room, even in the winter i had my window open and it was still too hot in there!
Old 09-18-2008 at 05:51 AM   #10
kenvin100
Elite Member

I think our room/hallway is cold is cause im on the 10th floor of Brandon hall..if you know your science, the temperature does decrease the higher one goes up!

Our AC has been turned off since Welcome Week..yes i was freezing (and my roomie) and i didnt kno how to turn off the AC until the next day

I guess I'll put my heater in a REALLY LOW setting..hopefully, it doesnt fuse again!

Thx to whoever moved this to the right section

Old 09-18-2008 at 06:44 AM   #11
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Quote:
I guess I'll put my heater in a REALLY LOW setting..hopefully, it doesnt fuse again!
Er.....you do know that you're technically not allowed to bring your own space heater to residence for exactly reasons like this, right? Those things can draw like 1500 W.....I guess your CA must not know what's causing the breaker to trip, otherwise you probably would have be written up by now - I know I wouldn't appreciate being repeatedly woken up by someone who's using something they're not supposed to have in the first place.
Old 09-18-2008 at 08:31 AM   #12
kenvin100
Elite Member

wow ..really?funny, i saw some family bring a MICROWAVE to their rez..heck i saw a microwave box in my common room!

Well i have a solution now lol...i think i told my CA lol..ah well

Last edited by kenvin100 : 09-18-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-18-2008 at 05:04 PM   #13
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

microwaves and heateres are definately not allowed.. i can tell you that..
its a minor offence according to the RCC (residence code of conduct)...
"cooking with electric frying pans, ovens, microwaves,
etc. within individual residence rooms; using halogen
lamps or humidifiers; using heating elements (electrical
or otherwise) other than those supplied by McMaster
University & Housing and Conference Services"

if your CA finds out, you may be documented.. please take it away or something before it happens. its for the safety of your self and the building.

ps. and yes. brandon is freezing.. at least my room too. its constantly at 17-19 degrees...i want the heat on now!!

kenvin100 says thanks to Eva C for this post.