MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-17-2015 at 10:00 AM   #1
psc1983

Liked: 0 Times

Hello
Hi, I'm starting my second year at Mac this September, I haven't picked a program yet because I was limited to taking 18 units in my first year because I came in as a mature student. I had not been to school in 13 years when I quit my job to come to Mac. Now I have no idea what I should do in regards to picking a program, I'm thinking Sociology. I originally came for Social Work but am unsure if that's the best choice for me now. Anyway, I hope this site will keep in touch with things on campus as I commute an hour everyday and I'm always out of touch with what's happening around campus.

See you around
Old 07-17-2015 at 10:55 AM   #2
Menzies

Liked: 10 Times

An academic adviser meeting might help clarify your major. Targeted courses in sociology might also help you decide.

As far as keeping in touch with what is happening on campus, this site does not list events on a regular basis. There is a group that runs off campus student events, including doing orientation, Society of Off-Campus Students (SOCS). You might find similar interests to some the grad students and they have events that are sometimes not exclusive to grad students that you could participate in. Lots of grad students participate in recreational programs through DBAC so that would be another way to meet up with people and get involved. The MUSC site might be another place to find out what's going on that might be of interest to you.

psc1983 says thanks to Menzies for this post.
Old 07-21-2015 at 08:03 AM   #3
TheMaster

Liked: Liked 2 Times

As a mature student, it is easiest to decide on the programme you wish to pursue from a goal/career oriented perspective. Why are you paying for university? What will you get out of it? If the answer is a love a knowledge, then it doesn't matter what you study. If you plan to use it to get a job afterwards, then choose carefully.
Old 09-01-2015 at 01:46 AM   #4
marlofurnitur

Liked: 0 Times

Hi friends!! Please add me