MacInsiders Logo
Old 04-06-2015 at 08:53 PM   #1
nashsth

Liked: 0 Times

Hello everybody :)
Hi everyone

My name is Nash Shrestha and I will be a student of McMaster (Mechatronics Engineering ftw ) starting this September.

I have a few (maybe stupid) questions regarding residence that I hope you guys could clear up. Any help would be much appreciated.

1) There are many residential buildings at McMaster, such as the Brandon Hall, Matthews Hall, etc. Does the cost of residence vary depending on the building or does it only vary depending on the size of the room? E.g. is a double room at Brandon Hall the same price as a double room at Matthews Hall? NOTE: I won't be living in apartment/suite style residences.

2) I want to have a nice scenic view when I get out of bed in the morning (I am a nature lover lol ). Hence, I came to the conclusion that Brandon Hall would be the residential area of choice for me (based on the virtual tour). However, I researched a little about Brandon Hall and discovered some of its *flaws*, as provided by the "The Pros and Cons to Each of McMaster's 12 Residences" thread by Sabrina Kokosarevic. The major flaw that I have problems with is the communal bathrooms. Is there another residence that is also offers nice views but also have more private bathrooms?

3) How are the life-style themes incorporated into residence buildings? For example, let's say that I want to be a part of the quiet community. Are the residential buildings designed so that each building houses certain types of communities?

If you guys could help provide a more clear picture of the residence experience at McMaster, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!

- Nash
Old 04-06-2015 at 09:22 PM   #2
Whelmed

Liked: 6 Times

1. Cost is only dependent on room type. A Double in Moulton is the same as a double in Whidden.
2. As far as I know, Les Prince is the only building with ensuite bathrooms. When you do your residence application and select your preferences, you can specify a room with a bathroom. As for the view, I stayed there for a couple nights and my room faced the football field. I'm not 100% sure what the other side of the building sees, but I'm guessing it's trees. At least you can watch football games without leaving your bed.
3. I haven't lived in a lifestyle community, but I'm pretty sure they are organized by floor, rather than an entire building (with Wallingford, the all girls rez, being the exception)
Old 09-01-2015 at 01:46 AM   #3
marlofurnitur

Liked: 0 Times

Hello friends!! Add me
Old 09-01-2015 at 08:58 AM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlofurnitur View Post
Hello friends!! Add me
Marlo Furniture? Bots aren't even trying to hide themselves.
Old 09-02-2015 at 11:56 AM   #5
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Wouldn't you be an Engineering Level 1 student? I was unaware that Mac had taken a page from Waterloo's book and started to place students in their disciplines prior to first year.