MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-17-2010 at 04:29 PM   #1
soody

Liked: 3 Times

Help!!!
Hey guys, hope yall are doin good!!

I got accepted to engineering and is my first year..
So i have 13 courses todo!!
Im doing about 8-9 in the acedmacis year 2010-2011.. BUT i cannot take summer 2011 ddue to personal reasons...

So its possible to complete the rest of my courses in the acedmaic year of 2011-2012?
Thanks tc!

And please i want sure answers.. not maybe's!
tc have a good day
Old 08-17-2010 at 04:32 PM   #2
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

i would suggest talking to your academic advisor and telling them your situation. There are certain coureses you can do online if you need to
Old 08-17-2010 at 04:33 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by soody View Post
Hey guys, hope yall are doin good!!

I got accepted to engineering and is my first year..
So i have 13 courses todo!!
Im doing about 8-9 in the acedmacis year 2010-2011.. BUT i cannot take summer 2011 ddue to personal reasons...

So its possible to complete the rest of my courses in the acedmaic year of 2011-2012?
Thanks tc!

And please i want sure answers.. not maybe's!
tc have a good day
Quote:
To be eligible for a Level II Engineering program, a student must successfully complete all non-elective Level I courses with an overall Cumulative Average (CA) of 4.0 or greater. To help students who may have had academic difficulty during the year, the Faculty of Engineering has a remedial studies plan (called the M-Opportunity) that provides the opportunity to repeat failed courses in second term and/or in the summer. The results of these M-Opportunity courses are used to calculate a new CA (failed courses are still counted in the CA).
A student in Engineering I whose Cumulative Average (CA) is less than 4.0 can no longer continue in Engineering.

So as long as you complete all non-electives in Level I you'll be able to move on to level II. Then you can play catch-up.

If you can't complete all non-electives then you should talk to an academic advisor. You'll have to remain in Level I Engineering.

Old 08-17-2010 at 04:33 PM   #4
soody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
i would suggest talking to your academic advisor and telling them your situation. There are certain coureses you can do online if you need to

ooh... how can i get hold of one? :S
im sorry for thes stupid question LOL im just new
Old 08-17-2010 at 04:35 PM   #5
soody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

So as long as you complete all non-electives in Level I you'll be able to move on to level II. Then you can play catch-up.

If you can't complete all non-electives then you should talk to an academic advisor. You'll have to remain in Level I Engineering.

Well i plan to complete all non-elective courses but it might take me 2 years!

lets say i dont fail a course... and it takes me 2 years.. or lets say 1 and a half..
its all cool right? lol
Old 08-17-2010 at 04:35 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
ooh... how can i get hold of one? :S
im sorry for thes stupid question LOL im just new
http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/contacts.html

Sally Williams is the first year academic adviser, the other one is for upper levels.
Old 08-17-2010 at 04:36 PM   #7
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/current/advising.html
Old 08-17-2010 at 04:36 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Well i plan to complete all non-elective courses but it might take me 2 years!

lets say i dont fail a course... and it takes me 2 years.. or lets say 1 and a half..
its all cool right? lol
You have to figure out how to stay in Level I Engineering after unsuccessfully getting into level II, so talk to an academic advisor.
Old 08-17-2010 at 04:39 PM   #9
soody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You have to figure out how to stay in Level I Engineering after unsuccessfully getting into level II, so talk to an academic advisor.
Oh true.. I wouldnt want to be wasting a year doing like 3-4 courses!
Old 08-17-2010 at 07:41 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Oh true.. I wouldnt want to be wasting a year doing like 3-4 courses!
If you're not taking a full course load, and not doing summer school, you might have to!
Even without electives (I believe engineers have 2 elective courses or 6 units in first year...), that's still 11 courses you'd need to move on to level 2, and you're only taking 8-9. You'll also have to make up the electives at some point, and you're already kind of overloading in all of the other years (engineers take more than 30 units, whereas for everyone else that's considered overloading), so you probably won't want to take more courses on top of that. Definitely talk to an academic advisor, but you should be open to doing an extra year if you're not going to be getting all of the required courses in level 1, or reconsider taking summer school.
Old 08-18-2010 at 12:58 AM   #11
soody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
If you're not taking a full course load, and not doing summer school, you might have to!
Even without electives (I believe engineers have 2 elective courses or 6 units in first year...), that's still 11 courses you'd need to move on to level 2, and you're only taking 8-9. You'll also have to make up the electives at some point, and you're already kind of overloading in all of the other years (engineers take more than 30 units, whereas for everyone else that's considered overloading), so you probably won't want to take more courses on top of that. Definitely talk to an academic advisor, but you should be open to doing an extra year if you're not going to be getting all of the required courses in level 1, or reconsider taking summer school.

I WANT to take summer but i cant :( ... I have some personal difficuilties arising which wont let me take summer 2011...

Other wise ofcouse i would consider taking summer. the problem is, I have to complete both courses of physics. and one of math left, but when i register for physics, it conflicts too much :S
Old 08-18-2010 at 01:05 AM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

...why can't you just take all your courses during the year like everyone else?
Old 08-18-2010 at 01:30 PM   #13
soody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
...why can't you just take all your courses during the year like everyone else?

Well dont want too much load.. and second.. Too many conflicts
Old 08-18-2010 at 01:53 PM   #14
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

dude if you wanted a light course load you shouldn't have picked engineering. if you dont take enough courses this year then in the next years you'll have an even bigger course load to compensate for it, and the courses won't get any easier. do you mean conflicts between courses or personal conflicts? if you have issues going on in your life then the best thing to do would be to talk to an academic advisor about your situation. if its just a course then get on SOLAR and try switching the times of a course to fix it or choose another elective...
Old 08-18-2010 at 01:58 PM   #15
soody

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
dude if you wanted a light course load you shouldn't have picked engineering. if you dont take enough courses this year then in the next years you'll have an even bigger course load to compensate for it, and the courses won't get any easier. do you mean conflicts between courses or personal conflicts? if you have issues going on in your life then the best thing to do would be to talk to an academic advisor about your situation. if its just a course then get on SOLAR and try switching the times of a course to fix it or choose another elective...

OFCOURSE i know theres alotta load.... i just dont want it in first term....

I need to adjust to this place... and i mean course conflicts... Im trying to change the course timing around... but aint working... most of them are full aswell