MacInsiders Logo
Old 06-01-2011 at 05:59 PM   #1
Eric Wong

Liked: 0 Times

help :(
Hi, i will be attending mac in september for life sciences. My problem is i didnt take grade 12 calculus or grade 12 chem, i am aware that the replacement course must be taken inorder to take math 1ls3 and chem10a3 and 1aa3; however, i want to be able to take electives so i was wondering if it was okay if i took grade 12 calculus and chem in summer school and online respectively?

Would i be able to enroll in math 1ls3 and chem1a03/1aa3 if i take the grade 12 cal and chem in summer school/online and have it done by august 5?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2011 at 06:15 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

As long as you have the requisite courses before the drop/add date (I think its a couple of weeks into the semester) you shouldn't have a problem with taking those courses in summer school to avoid all that trouble.
Old 06-01-2011 at 06:19 PM   #3
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

Idk if you really can... Because what if those summer courses bring your average down or up? Mcmaster needs to know all about your grade 12 stuff before you get in. And they need to figure this out asap since they wanna send you a confirmation letter.

But again, I know some students who took summer school and got their offers late, but they got it. I think the changes are reduced to an extend. But now that i think about it.. it could be possible.

The whole idea is if mcmaster has the time to process your grades or not. Plus, when you do calc and chem.. you need to keep the average in mind too. So if any fluctuation happens.. it could be very harmful for your acceptance.

AND to be honest, just take whatever course you have to at mac.. If you already have the acceptance why risk it? and It's really not a big deal. And you most likely, would have to do another chem before 1a03 and 1aa3 cuz those courses are for the people who took highschool chem. And I understand everything will get pushed a little bit. But just do summer school after your first year, if you absolutely have to?

Hope that helps!
Old 06-01-2011 at 06:23 PM   #4
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

1. Relax
2. When you choose your courses, select Math 1f03, which is the grade 12 equivalent, you will then take 1LS3 during your second semester.
Old 06-01-2011 at 06:35 PM   #5
Eric Wong

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishk33 View Post
Idk if you really can... Because what if those summer courses bring your average down or up? Mcmaster needs to know all about your grade 12 stuff before you get in. And they need to figure this out asap since they wanna send you a confirmation letter.

But again, I know some students who took summer school and got their offers late, but they got it. I think the changes are reduced to an extend. But now that i think about it.. it could be possible.

The whole idea is if mcmaster has the time to process your grades or not. Plus, when you do calc and chem.. you need to keep the average in mind too. So if any fluctuation happens.. it could be very harmful for your acceptance.

AND to be honest, just take whatever course you have to at mac.. If you already have the acceptance why risk it? and It's really not a big deal. And you most likely, would have to do another chem before 1a03 and 1aa3 cuz those courses are for the people who took highschool chem. And I understand everything will get pushed a little bit. But just do summer school after your first year, if you absolutely have to?

Hope that helps!
it wouldnt have any effects on my top 6 average because that would mean that i would have 8 courses and i already got in, so i dont think they would care since i would have to met the conditions by june 30th and summer schools starts july 6th.
Old 06-02-2011 at 09:27 PM   #6
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Wong View Post
it wouldnt have any effects on my top 6 average because that would mean that i would have 8 courses and i already got in, so i dont think they would care since i would have to met the conditions by june 30th and summer schools starts july 6th.
This sounds about right. It makes sense to be able to do summer school for these courses to fulfill some prerequisites, though asking an administrator will get you the most certain answer.