MacInsiders Logo
Old 06-25-2011 at 10:56 PM   #1
michelle.you

Liked: 0 Times

Help!
Hey! I'm going to Mac in the fall and I'm getting ready to register for courses and such. I'm just really confused!
Okay. So you know how (for example) psych says you need 3 hours so you have to pick 3 separate one-hour blocks? For something like soc it only says you need two lectures and one tutorial. So how would I organize my timetable with that? Is it also 3 separate one-hour blocks…?

I really hope thatquestion makes sense
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:07 PM   #2
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

In the master timetable it tells you what time the classes/tutorials will be.
So for example, if you do have 2 classes and 1 tutorial, you'll have 3 blocks for that class on your schedule, as you said. If there are more than one core sections, you can pick which core is most convenient for your schedule depending on what time the classes are, and same with tutorial slots. However, you can't do this right now, you'll be able choose to specific cores/tutorial times later in the summer when SOLAR re-opens. For now you just choose the courses you want.

Hope that helped!

Last edited by anon491 : 06-25-2011 at 11:09 PM.

michelle.you says thanks to anon491 for this post.
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:10 PM   #3
michelle.you

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
In the master timetable it tells you what time the classes/tutorials will be.
So for example, if you do have 2 classes and 1 tutorial, you'll have 3 blocks for that class on your schedule, as you said. If there are more than one core sections, you can pick which core is most convenient for your schedule depending on what time the classes are, and same with tutorial slots. However, you can't do this right now, you'll be able choose specific cores/tutorial times to later in the summer when SOLAR re-opens. For now you just choose the courses you want.

Hope that helped!
Ah! Thank you soo much!
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:12 PM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Each core corresponds to the required number of lectures. Each tutorial corresponds to the number of tutorials you need, etc.

So for a class you might have 3 lectures and tutorial. That means you will be assigned a core (ex. C01) which will then determine all thee lecture blocks. Then you might also get assigned a tutorial (ex. T01) which corresponds to a specific time and day of the week.

So what I'm trying to clear up is that you don't pick 3 lecture blocks. You pick a core section which will then determine your 3 lecture blocks.

michelle.you says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:17 PM   #5
abelon3

Liked: 12 Times

And in case you didn't know, first year psych is a little different than other classes. For psych 1x03 (psych 1, in 1st semester), you have online lectures and the same applies for psych 1xx3 (psych 2, 2nd semester) but you also have 1 real life lecture every week.

michelle.you says thanks to abelon3 for this post.
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:19 PM   #6
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelon3 View Post
And in case you didn't know, first year psych is a little different than other classes. For psych 1x03 (psych 1, in 1st semester), you have online lectures and the same applies for psych 1xx3 (psych 2, 2nd semester) but you also have 1 real life lecture every week.
Aside from the web lectures, Psych 1X03 has 1hr of tutorial every week, whereas Psych 1XX3 has 1hr of live lecture + 1 hr of tutorial, I believe.

Unless they changed it this year.

Last edited by anon491 : 06-25-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:29 PM   #7
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

my experience with 1st year socs is that each class can be very different.

for example: 2 hours of lecture: 2 classes @ one hour each plus 1 hour of tutorial

3 hours of lecture: 3 classes @ one hour each and no tutorial

3 hours of lecture: one REALLY LONG 3 hour class but you only show up once a week and no tutorial

and there have been classes where there is only one core and the tutorial is assigned so you have no choice as well as ones where i can choose..

it takes a bit of getting used to.

michelle.you says thanks to soltintal for this post.