MacInsiders Logo
Old 11-23-2010 at 08:55 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Help with MSWord
I recently switched from 2003 to 2007, so I'm having a little trouble.
Word is set up so that whenever I open it, it is automatically set to Calibri, size 11 font, double spaced. It annoys me to no end.
Would anyone be able to give me (very basic) instructions on how to change this? I'd like for it to start up like Word 2003 – Times New Roman, size 12, single spaced.
Thanks for any help! I have Googled this but I'm pretty computer illiterate, I can't follow any of the instructions I've found.
Old 11-23-2010 at 08:57 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Calibri is your friend.
Old 11-23-2010 at 09:05 PM   #3
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Here you go. I'd quote it, but it includes pictures, so it'd be easier for you to just go to the site yourself.

I really don't know why profs insist on Times New Roman as the only accepted font. It's horrible, to no end. IMO, serifs do not make type more easily readable! And even if they do it's not a noticeable difference, they're ugly, and they make the type seem cluttered.

Personally, the most elegant of fonts (while retaining legibility) are Helvetica, Trebuchet MS, Lucida Grande, and yes, Calibri.

___

EDIT: I forgot about spacing. Try right-clicking on a document, select 'Paragraph', and choose your preferred settings. See if there's a 'Use Default' button, or something to that effect. Click it.

I'm not too sure about that last one though, 'cuz I use Office for Mac 2011. Haven't used Word 07 in a couple of months.

Last edited by SilentWalker : 11-23-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2010 at 09:11 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
I really don't know why profs insist on Times New Roman as the only accepted font.
I've actually had very few who specifically said only TNR. I've had some give a couple of examples, and some that say any 11 or 12 point font.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-23-2010 at 09:16 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Thanks for the link!! I don't particularly like Times New Roman either, but a lot of my profs are hard asses about essay length and they require TNR. It's a pain to have to change everything every time I open a new document.
Old 11-23-2010 at 09:52 PM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Personally, the most elegant of fonts (while retaining legibility) are Helvetica, Trebuchet MS, Lucida Grande, and yes, Calibri.
You forgot comic sans.

camais, micadjems like this.
Old 11-23-2010 at 09:56 PM   #7
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

...but most of all, Wingdings. (Why does that exist?)
Old 11-23-2010 at 10:00 PM   #8
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
...but most of all, Wingdings. (Why does that exist?)
Because I need it to get the reversible reaction arrow for my chem labs.
Old 11-23-2010 at 10:03 PM   #9
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
You forgot comic sans.
Comic Sans is NOT for professional documents!
Old 11-23-2010 at 10:05 PM   #10
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Comic Sans is NOT for professional documents!

camais, micadjems like this.
Old 11-30-2010 at 02:33 AM   #11
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I've actually had very few who specifically said only TNR. I've had some give a couple of examples, and some that say any 11 or 12 point font.
Really? Almost every single one of my T.A.'s/Profs have been adamant that we use TNR and 12 points font, in fact my history T.A. has been known to penalize quite heavily if you don't comply.

Just saying, maybe it's just a first year thing.