MacInsiders Logo

HELP: Never been on a GO Bus

Old 05-21-2012 at 02:16 AM   #1
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

HELP: Never been on a GO Bus
This is embarrassing but i need HELP. Can someone to me how the GO bus operates their service? How does their schedule work? (Does it tell you the exact time that the bus arrives OR it gives me a time in between that the bus arrives at random time )? I need to leave Mac after 1:30pm on Friday to go to mississauga. It it just one GO Bus ride ...OR its a bus&train ride?? (I would prefer just a bus ride without transferring). Where would the GO bus drop me off exactly in mississauga? How much does a GO bus ticket cost? Is the GO station open on weekends? Sorry for the barrage of questions but I would greatly appreciate the help from anyone who has taken the GO bus.
Old 05-21-2012 at 02:48 AM   #2
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Use this link to know the bus stop times http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...ard/MCUVS1.pdf

Also, it's just one bus ride and lets you know the time the bus is supposed to depart with the time you should arrive. It drops off at Square One. Last I checked it's 8.50 for one ride.
Old 05-21-2012 at 02:53 AM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

If ur last stop is Sq. One then a one ride should cost u up to 8 bux (get the pass from compass, coz the drivers get a lil annoyed if u buy a ticket on the bus

For Friday: u will need to catch the 47 @ 13:45 from MAC. (This is the stop by the Go bus shelter near the smoke stack. Also its the one with the largest crowd, cant miss tht)

Its a single ride, no transfers, although it will stop at 3 car pool along the way to Sq. one, Burlington, Bronte and Oakville.

On arriving at square One, u will stop right infront of a Starbux, and if you continue to move straight down, u will end up at Mississauga Trans and Sq. One itself.

http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...New=Y&station=

i couldn't attach the pic for some reason... any way. Look at the second column from the right and the row which says "McMaster term.", thats when the bus leaves from mac. You will arrive at Sq. one at about 14:30

hope this helps

Last edited by Leeoku : 05-21-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2012 at 03:55 AM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

These people have it right in terms of bus number/fare. I presume the website is right. You can pay cash at hand or buy a 10 ride (like tickets from compass) so that is being phased out. The Presto card works. Just get a card, add money and tap it when u get on/off.
Old 05-21-2012 at 08:53 AM   #5
jon.john23
Elite Member

Trust, i take the Go bus everyday from Sq one

remember like and thnk

Last edited by jon.john23 : 05-21-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-21-2012 at 09:53 AM   #6
amare

Liked: 22 Times

For now I would suggest sticking to the one ride until you get used to using the GO Bus/Train. Once you have then I would suggest getting 10-rides (if they're still available) since they're cheaper. If they're not get the Presto card (still get the same discount as with the 10-ride). Basically everything said above is right.
Old 05-21-2012 at 10:01 AM   #7
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
For now I would suggest sticking to the one ride until you get used to using the GO Bus/Train. Once you have then I would suggest getting 10-rides (if they're still available) since they're cheaper. If they're not get the Presto card (still get the same discount as with the 10-ride). Basically everything said above is right.
Or just get a presto card right away. They can also be used on the HSR and are so handy. Not to mention you don't have to commit 80 dollars at a time

myster likes this.
Old 05-21-2012 at 10:25 AM   #8
myster

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
Or just get a presto card right away. They can also be used on the HSR and are so handy. Not to mention you don't have to commit 80 dollars at a time
Agreed. Presto cards are so flexible. You get the 10-ride discount for any trip in the Go System.
Old 05-21-2012 at 11:01 AM   #9
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I don't like Presto at all (been avoiding it). From what I understand, you have to do x amount of rides before seeing any discount, instead of getting a small, consistent discount every ride.

(So it seems to be something like this, assuming you need 20 rides for the Presto discount)

Instead of getting say $2 off each ride using a 10 rides, you have to pay full price for 20 and then get a ~95% discount of the 21st and the rest. While mathematically it works out to be the same, it removes freedom from the rider by forcing you to keep using it to see any discount at all, and wiping the discount if you come up short. That makes exam time and summer school more expensive, and anyone who only goes home on the weekends/occasionally. I hate having to "wait" for a discount, because I don't believe in "promises" when it comes to things like this.

Plus I don't trust computers as much as possible when i comes to money. Everyday I still see something's card screwing up (usually because they forgot to tap off in their zone, which is another problem I have - I don't want to have to do a dance before I get off the bus. I'm tired, I want to go home.)

But now they are basically forcing us to get it, with 10 rides expiring in late july.

/rant... since the question's already been handled

ZSimon says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 05-21-2012 at 12:26 PM   #10
jon.john23
Elite Member

it depends

are you going just this one time?
or are u gonna be commuting for a while?

In my opinion get Presto, its a "lil" cheaper over all, for both the Go bus and only costs u 2 bux on HSR.

If its only a one time thing, just get a 2 ride pass.
Old 05-21-2012 at 12:26 PM   #11
amare

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I don't like Presto at all (been avoiding it). From what I understand, you have to do x amount of rides before seeing any discount, instead of getting a small, consistent discount every ride.

(So it seems to be something like this, assuming you need 20 rides for the Presto discount)

Instead of getting say $2 off each ride using a 10 rides, you have to pay full price for 20 and then get a ~95% discount of the 21st and the rest. While mathematically it works out to be the same, it removes freedom from the rider by forcing you to keep using it to see any discount at all, and wiping the discount if you come up short. That makes exam time and summer school more expensive, and anyone who only goes home on the weekends/occasionally. I hate having to "wait" for a discount, because I don't believe in "promises" when it comes to things like this.

Plus I don't trust computers as much as possible when i comes to money. Everyday I still see something's card screwing up (usually because they forgot to tap off in their zone, which is another problem I have - I don't want to have to do a dance before I get off the bus. I'm tired, I want to go home.)

But now they are basically forcing us to get it, with 10 rides expiring in late july.

/rant... since the question's already been handled
Additionally with Presto you have to renew your student discount every august before school starts to actually get the discount. With the 10-ride youve already paid for the discount. From what I understand, you can still use the 10-rides even after GO stops selling them until further notice. Thats why I would recommend the 10-ride until GO stops selling them. Presto can be a hassle with the reloading feature (you have to tap within 24 hours of putting money into the card)

jon.john23 says thanks to amare for this post.
Old 05-21-2012 at 12:32 PM   #12
jon.john23
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amare View Post
Presto can be a hassle with the reloading feature (you have to tap within 24 hours of putting money into the card)

unless u fill in directly at the Kisok at Sq. one

min of $10
Old 05-21-2012 at 01:13 PM   #13
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Unless you are travelling every day, and every night, I would keep my distance from Presto like britb pointed out. It's another thing you'll be worrying about since you can get charged quite a bit for messing up a tap off here or there.

10-rides are a solid option, and since the price of each ride can get hiked mid-year; 10-rides save you money there too don't forget

The only cool part about presto is that it lets you use the city buses as well; in Burlington and a few other cities.
Old 05-21-2012 at 01:38 PM   #14
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
Unless you are travelling every day, and every night, I would keep my distance from Presto like britb pointed out. It's another thing you'll be worrying about since you can get charged quite a bit for messing up a tap off here or there.

10-rides are a solid option, and since the price of each ride can get hiked mid-year; 10-rides save you money there too don't forget

The only cool part about presto is that it lets you use the city buses as well; in Burlington and a few other cities.
Okay hold on everyone you are all terribly misinformed. 10 ride passes will stop being sold at the end of June and they will no longer be accepted by the end of July.

With the Presto card it is automatically discounted to the 10 ride ticket price, with each 21st trip or something being severely discounted to compete with buying a monthly pass.

Registering my card and applying a discount has been a hassle though since I tried to register my card without using it within a week. Although it is much easier to load your presto card then to go to a kiosk and buy a 10 ride pass. You could do it the night before rather then going early and having to buy a ticket. It also connects to transit systems all over the GTA so you never know when you're stuck in Mississauga but luckily have your presto card to get on the MiWay

ZSimon says thanks to julianface for this post.
Old 05-21-2012 at 02:34 PM   #15
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
Okay hold on everyone you are all terribly misinformed. 10 ride passes will stop being sold at the end of June and they will no longer be accepted by the end of July.

With the Presto card it is automatically discounted to the 10 ride ticket price, with each 21st trip or something being severely discounted to compete with buying a monthly pass.

Registering my card and applying a discount has been a hassle though since I tried to register my card without using it within a week. Although it is much easier to load your presto card then to go to a kiosk and buy a 10 ride pass. You could do it the night before rather then going early and having to buy a ticket. It also connects to transit systems all over the GTA so you never know when you're stuck in Mississauga but luckily have your presto card to get on the MiWay
Thanks for correcting me. Damn the GO people are starting to use common sense..

drpatel likes this.