MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help Asap!! Imtiaz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 10:49 AM
Need Help Asap!! Imtiaz Academics 0 07-03-2010 12:06 PM
I Need A Tutor ASAP - Physics 1E03 Bobert Academics 6 03-09-2009 05:25 PM

HELP rqd ASAP- Engineering1 textbooks

Old 08-15-2007 at 02:30 PM   #1
nikhil

Liked: 0 Times

HELP rqd ASAP- Engineering1 textbooks
hi,
This link gives the latest booklist for engineering1 students-
http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/prospective/textbooks.htm

Now the problem-
It doesnt list books reuired for Physics 1D04, Physics 1E03 and my complementary elective- economics

I put my searching skills to the use to reach these pages-
http://www.physics.mcmaster. ca/phys1d03/
http://www.physics.mcmaster. ca/phys1e03/
http://72.14.235.104/u/mcmaster?q=ca...d=2&ie= UTF-8

The physics pages don't seem to have been updated since 2006 and the economics one from 2005!

Please tell me if im going wrong somewhere and if there is some other webpage that has the latest stuff!

Thanks a ton!
Nikhil
Old 08-15-2007 at 02:50 PM   #2
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Wow, where did you find the websites with the course outlines?
Old 08-15-2007 at 04:19 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You're looking at what I would consider to be incorrect information.

Since you are buying your books from Titles, you should be looking at their website, which is here: http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/departments.htm
Old 08-15-2007 at 07:48 PM   #4
happy

unless the changed it from last year it should be 1d03 theres a engineering 1d04 which is programming. both 1d03 and 1e03 took the same text book same with math 1n03 and 1nn3 and econ takes a econ one but u don't need it, even the prof says don't buy it its junk compared to her notes
Old 08-16-2007 at 09:33 AM   #5
nikhil

alyssabriere, im a nerd......i put my nerd powers to use!
I Actually found the math link while I was using the search feature at the McMaster website. Once I knew the path of the math webpage, I worked through to get the address paths of physics pages etc.......the universities usually assign addresses logically and keep em symmetric. for eg. if there's a maths.mcmaster.ca, ud probably have a physics.mcmaster.ca etc........

Today I purchased the book for physics - Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 6th edition by Serway Jewett.
This book seems to contain electricity, magnetsim, optics and modern atomic physics but it DOESN'T HAVE any chapter on MECHANICS!!! Which is strange bcoz physics 1D04 is introductory mechanics.
Now here is the catch-
This book is Volume 2 and starts with part 4. The bookseller I went to, showed me another book by Serway Jewett which he claimed to be volume 1. The name of this second book was "Physics for Scientists" or something and it was the 3rd edition. The name was surely different to the book prescribed. Though on checking it's contents I found that it had Mechanics(laws of motion, vectors, rotation etc. etc.)

What do I do?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2007 at 01:20 PM   #6
Josh

Hey, AFAIK the Physics does come in two volumes (Volume 1 is the mechanics and Volume 2 is electricity, etc. I have these exact books since my brother's Physics class at UOIT used them too). Did you buy them from Titles? I'd assume they sold the two volumes together (IIRC, UOIT uses the same book and they sell the two together as a package). If not, then you should find, somewhere, the newest edition of Volume 1... I found a Volume One, but of the 7th Edition on Amazon for $85 (Odd, since Titles seems to offer both for $100). And Amazon apparently has one that appear to combine both volumes, which is maybe what Titles is selling...

On a semi-related note... I have the 5th Edition of Stewart's Calculus, along with the Solution Manual and something for MATLAB. Would people recommend upgrading to the 6th Edition, or just using the 5th and borrowing someone's 6th if something is drastically different?

Last edited by lorend : 08-21-2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Clarifications and Formatting