MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two Mac Post-Grad Students' Summer Jobs lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-05-2010 11:08 AM
Grad photos for Social Science students Kathy2 General Discussion 5 10-02-2009 08:40 AM

Highrise for Grad Students

Old 05-06-2014 at 12:15 PM   #1
PhDMom

Liked: 0 Times

Highrise for Grad Students
Wondering if someone can help me out - are there particular highrise buildings or apartments complexes that Grad students tend to rent in? We will be coming to Hamilton to look at places in June and are trying to streamline our search. The place would just be for one person - probably a two bedroom unless the one bedroom is VERY spacious. Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Old 05-07-2014 at 02:43 PM   #2
camelie

West Village Suites is pretty popular for grad & med school students. I have a sublet there available until the end of August. If you're interested, let me know!

PhDMom says thanks to camelie for this post.
Old 05-07-2014 at 05:49 PM   #3
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

^^^ West Village also has no one or two bedroom apartments and is primarily catered to undergraduate students so that isn't what she's looking for at all.

There aren't any nice ones super close to campus but your best bets are Woodland apartments or Camelot towers. Both are pretty quiet and well-priced. I honestly suggest looking downtown instead, that's what I've been doing and I've been able to find nicer buildings that are still well-priced.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.

PhDMom says thanks to sarahsullz for this post.
Old 05-07-2014 at 07:55 PM   #4
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

My building at 1928 Main West is pretty much what you describe. Ten-ish minute bus ride to campus and according to the super, around 1/3 of the people in the building are students or somehow affiliated with the university. There are several buildings near me that could also work.

ashleighp, PhDMom all say thanks to Kudos for this post.

ashleighp likes this.
Old 05-07-2014 at 08:56 PM   #5
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

I haven't had personal experience with the Woodlands, but I've heard it described as "Cockroach Palace."

PhDMom says thanks to eullwm for this post.
Old 05-07-2014 at 09:28 PM   #6
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

The stretch of Main West starting from Whitney is the ideal place for a quality high rise apartment. Vacancy is scarce and take up very quickly so you have to be proactive. Maybe even talk to the super and promise to tip him/her for first dip. Once you do snag one though, its a beauty (depending on which apartment you get).

jamescw1234 likes this.
Old 05-08-2014 at 09:33 AM   #7
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Definitely try the Main and Whitney area, I have an apartment here and it is excellent. Amazing views, quiet neighbourhood, on the bus route that goes right into campus, close to grocery stores, restaurants, etc. That being said, apartments in this area go quite quickly, so you'll want to have first and last month's rent available when you see the apartment for viewing so you can sign a lease immediately after.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

PhDMom says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 05-09-2014 at 12:27 AM   #8
TAdance

Liked: Liked 6 Times

As a current grad student, I've lived houses and apartments in houses. Also my friends are in similar living situations with some living at the high-rise The Glen (50 Glen) or the Effort Trust apartments on Longwood or King. Avoid Camelot at all costs, Beverly Hills is okay but tacky, and The Glen has some bad history but my friend hasn't had too many problems.

PhDMom says thanks to TAdance for this post.
Old 05-20-2014 at 10:56 AM   #9
PhDMom

Thanks everyone! The location is not the most important factor as he has a car. We don't know the area at all - so were kind of hoping to get the name of apartment rental companies so we can have some viewings arranged when we come up. Someone mentioned the Effort Trust Buildings. I have also come across the Homestead Company that manages apartments. Any more tips? - I have heard both good and bad about the Woodlands. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2014 at 02:19 PM   #10
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
My building at 1928 Main West is pretty much what you describe. Ten-ish minute bus ride to campus and according to the super, around 1/3 of the people in the building are students or somehow affiliated with the university. There are several buildings near me that could also work.
Thanks for the tip about this building - just after this was posted my landlord called me to tell us he's selling our house. We went and looked at an apartment there and signed a lease for July 15th.

PhDMom says thanks to ashleighp for this post.

Kudos likes this.
Old 05-20-2014 at 02:50 PM   #11
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

Forest Glen condos (1965, 1966, and 1967 Main St W) have a lot of students and seniors. There are two or three bedroom units, and although they are condos the owners often rent to students. Because there are a lot of seniors that live there they are quiet. You also get an underground parking space and access to the swimming pool and tennis courts. Depending on the apartment and the owner the rooms usually run between $300-$600/month per room.

PhDMom says thanks to jaywa for this post.
Old 05-20-2014 at 04:19 PM   #12
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

I've had good experiences with Effort Trust. They have a few buildings on Main.. I was at 1928 Main St W - it was a good building, pretty quiet and fairly spacious apartments. Great mix of people - I had students, families, singles, and elderly people as neighbours. We had a 2 bedroom and it wasn't too expensive when split with 2 people. The bus stop is right across the street, 10 minutes to Mac, and it's near the beginning of the 51 bus route so buses rarely pass you because they're full (at least that's how I've experienced it). The apartments rent pretty quick, but available rooms pop up every so often!

PhDMom says thanks to kirsten..! for this post.
Old 05-22-2014 at 03:20 PM   #13
PhDMom

Anyone know anything about the Parkdale Barton Building? As well, I have heard both good and bad about the Woodlands - anymore personal experiences? Thanks!
Old 06-13-2014 at 01:10 PM   #14
PhDMom

180 Bold vs 125 Wellington
Me again - we have appts booked to look at both 180 Bold - as well as 125 Wellington. Also the Savaria & Pannonia Towers at 165 Queen and the building at 121 Melvin. Thinking about booking a viewing at 50 Glen as well. Any thoughts or previous experiences appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2014 at 06:47 PM   #15
PhDMom

Just in case anyone is following our search for an apartment - we started at 221 Melvin - ended up at 125 Wellington - and 125 Wellington is the winner!
www.125wellington.ca