MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HLTH AGE 1BB3 Aging and Society Shivani Patel Academics 0 06-25-2014 07:01 PM

HLTH AGE 1BB3 Aging and Society as an elective?

Old 06-26-2014 at 03:33 PM   #1
Shivani Patel

Liked: 1 Time

HLTH AGE 1BB3 Aging and Society as an elective?
Hey everyone,
I wanted to ask how HLTH AGE 1BB3 Aging and Society is for a first year elective. I'm going into nursing and I wanted an easy elective that has less workload and something I can get a high mark in. How is this course because I have heard mixed reviews and some people said that the exams were hard. This course was full for term 1 day when I registered for my courses so what do you guys think my chances are of getting into it? Do I have a chance of getting into it or will no one drop it. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-29-2014 at 04:10 PM   #2
aliesk

Hi!
Its an easy course if you put effort into it. Those who say it was tough, probably never went to class. I took it in term 2 with professor Joshi who is 10x easier than the other Prof. If you go to class, she will tell you what exactly is on the midterm AND exam. There is one midterm test, and it was easy as long you studied hard. MEMORIZE all the definitions. And take notes in class, i felt that her power points were really vague and general therefore attending class is crucial. There is one reflection essay, which in my case was marked hard but then again essays are marked subjectively by TAs (and essay writing is not my forte). There are tutorials every alternate week, that are 10% of your grade , you just have to attend and participate and you get full marks. There's also an experiential component, in which you had to choose either to volunteer or go to discussion groups with seniors again you just have to attend and participate and you get full marks.
Another thing for this course is that the text book is essential. The midterm only had a few simple questions from the text book, which gave everyone a false sense of security.But when taking the exam i think we all realized the significance of the text book. There were 80 M/C, and i kid you not 60 of the questions was related to text bk content. So when she tells you to do the readings, do them. All in all , its a really interesting and rewarding course. Professor Joshi made the course interesting ,enjoyable and fairly easy. You can get a 12 (A+) if you put in the effort, the coarse load is really light too.
I've also attached the course outline from last semester, if you want to see a detailed breakdown of the course and marking schemes.
Hope i've helped clarify your doubts !

Some Tips:
1. GO TO EVERY CLASS, EVEN IF THERE'S A RANDOM GUEST SPEAKER or .( everything is testable)
2. TAKE NOTES IN CLASS
3. INVEST IN BUYING THE TEXT BOOK
4. READ THE TEXT BOOK
5. STUDY WELL FOR THE MIDTERM (memorize all the definitions)
6. GET YOUR ESSAY PROOF READ BY YOUR TA
7. ATTEND ALL TUTORIALS (easy marks right here)
8. PREPARE FOR THE EXAM WELL IN ADVANCE AND READ THE BOOK
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Course Outline.pdf (875.4 KB, 14 views)

beebee2, nerdingout, Shivani Patel all say thanks to aliesk for this post.

nerdingout likes this.
Old 06-29-2014 at 06:46 PM   #3
Shivani Patel

Thank you very much for your feedback. I finally got into this course so I decided to take it since I wanted to take it before but it was full. I dropped anthropology 1AA3 for my elective and took this course as my elective for next year so hopefully I made a good decision. I am taking it during term 1 day so I am pretty sure my prof will be Joshi. I know that every course requires effort in order to get a high mark and I am willing to put in that effort so I am hoping to get an 11 or 12 in the course. The course sounds interesting and easy in terms of workload. I am looking forward to taking the course. Thank you very much for all your advice!