zuberi

Liked: 0 Times

Hmm need some help..
Alrighty,
im an international student, from dubai

and i was hoping if any of you local people could
tell me a good mobile service provider
i mean i have no idea, what to expect so any help would be appreciated

i need a cheap plan ( hehe) that'll be kinda cheap on calls to canada and normal rates back to dubai...

there you go!

cheers,
Zuberi
Old 08-03-2007 at 03:32 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I'm with Rogers pay-as-you-go, in a real great plan.
  • $20/month
  • 25 cents for the first five minutes each day, then 15 cents after that.
  • Voicemail is included free
  • You can put it on autosaver so that you are auto charged each month, don't have to worry about filling up
  • Your minutes carry over month by month, so if you don't use them, you keep them
  • NO CONTRACT
Long distance rates:
Within Canada 30¢ To the United States 66¢ To Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Israel, Italy, Sweden and the U.K. 75¢ To Japan $1.00 To mainland China $1.50
Old 08-03-2007 at 03:32 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

i use virgin myself...but i don't talk on the phone much.

will you be making a lot of long distance calls in canada? or just calls overseas?
Old 08-03-2007 at 03:39 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

can always use a longdistance card, they sell them cheap at all the convenience stores around mac
Old 08-03-2007 at 03:44 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Or Compass! (to buy the long distance cards...)

I asked about Canada because I know of (and use) the following service: http://www.torontosuncall.co m/privacypolicy.htm

It's $4.50 a month for anywhere in Canada, period. And you can add cell phone numbers to it; so my house in hamilton uses it, and i've put it on my cell as well. And since we split the phone bill in my house...I pay more or less nothing for long distance each month.
Old 08-03-2007 at 03:50 PM   #6
zuberi

hmm i mean i can get those pre paid cards for overseas...
so i guess i just be needing a phone to talk to me friends at uni
so yea i guess the rogers plan is pretty amazing...
anything better than that?
Old 08-03-2007 at 04:20 PM   #7
dbt10

If you have been with a carrier in Dubai for a few years, ask them if they have any partnerships with Bell, Telus or Rogers, it is likely that they will have some plans and you can get better rates coming overseas; being able to keep your old phone etc.

If you want an outright new rate plan - which is definately cheaper than pay as you go, Bell, Telus and Rogers are our three big phone companies, Bell and Telus are CDMA, which is an American phone standard, and if you go back home you won't be able to use your phone. Rogers uses GSM networks and you can go home, pick up a prepaid sim card for a couple of weeks and use it then.

For calls overseas, just use your rez phone and use a calling card as the people above said.

Frankly, you can survive first year without a cell phone, but of course you won't be as accessible to others, and in subsequent years you'll want to get a cell phone.
Old 08-04-2007 at 07:07 AM   #8
zuberi

partnership is very unlikey, but ill still check..
and yea i do need a cellfone or i could just leech of, of everyone else's
bwahhahaha

cheers
zuberi
Old 08-04-2007 at 02:32 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

or you can always pay $.50 at the payphones on campus. Ya, they've gone up to 50 cents now and $3.50 for long distance. Crazzzy

Last edited by lorend : 08-21-2009 at 11:49 AM.