MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How hard is it to switch from Honours Life Science into Honours Biology? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-31-2013 09:03 PM
Honours Life Science vs Honours Biology and Psychology Mac2012! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2012 07:58 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 0 05-29-2010 04:47 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Honours life sci or bio

Old 04-21-2013 at 05:03 PM   #1
Solodolo

Liked: 0 Times

Honours life sci or bio
Can you get into honours life sci or honours bio/ molec bio with a 6.0 gpa?
Old 04-21-2013 at 05:09 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

you can get into life sci. you wont get into bio.
Old 04-21-2013 at 05:43 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

6.0 is the minimum to be considered for science honours programs...and since honours life sci does not have a cap on the number of students, anyone with a 6 or above can get in.
Limited enrollment programs will have a higher cutoff, depending on the number of people who apply and what their GPAs are.
Old 04-21-2013 at 06:18 PM   #4
Solodolo

Oh ok. Also I heard that they round the gpa...so when they enroll, do they enroll before rounding the gpa or after?
Old 04-21-2013 at 06:50 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solodolo View Post
Oh ok. Also I heard that they round the gpa...so when they enroll, do they enroll before rounding the gpa or after?
Err...I don't think they round for admissions. The only situation where they would possibly consider it is if you're between 5.95-5.99...and even in that case, I doubt they do.

I don't know what you mean by enrolling before or after rounding the gpa though, so I could be misunderstanding what you're asking.
Old 04-21-2013 at 07:22 PM   #6
banana93

Liked: 11 Times

Does anyone know what the acceptance average(cutoff) is fairly about for H.BIO and H.Biochem. I'm worried because my average last term was pretty low.
Old 04-21-2013 at 07:59 PM   #7
Solodolo

What happens if you get an average of ~5.6? Is there any way of staying in the program? If not, what could I do?
Old 04-21-2013 at 08:08 PM   #8
banana93

Liked: 11 Times

Is it true that you are automatically put into life sci (2nd year) if you don't get into other science courses like H.biochem, H.bio..etc)?
Old 04-21-2013 at 08:31 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

well, u might as well go into life sci if you dont get into anything else. you can shadow other science programs in 2nd year and then try to get into them beginning of 3rd year.
Old 04-21-2013 at 08:37 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana93 View Post
Does anyone know what the acceptance average(cutoff) is fairly about for H.BIO and H.Biochem. I'm worried because my average last term was pretty low.
I don't know what it was exactly, but usually between 7-9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solodolo View Post
What happens if you get an average of ~5.6? Is there any way of staying in the program? If not, what could I do?
There's no way they'd round up a 5.6 to a 6. You would be put into the non-Honours Life Sci program, and then if you get your grades up you can transfer to the Honours stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana93 View Post
Is it true that you are automatically put into life sci (2nd year) if you don't get into other science courses like H.biochem, H.bio..etc)?
Yes.

Also, about shadowing, note that many courses require that you be in a specific program to take them...sometimes it's any honours program, sometimes they list specific programs, sometimes it's any program above a certain level. So, you may not be able to take all of the courses you would need, but you should try to take as many as possible.

banana93 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 04-21-2013 at 09:09 PM   #11
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

The minimum for Honours Biology was an 8.5 (source: Bio Department undergrad Assistant) and will likely be the same for the upcoming year.

starfish says thanks to spyridm for this post.
Old 04-21-2013 at 09:41 PM   #12
RitchieLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyridm View Post
The minimum for Honours Biology was an 8.5 (source: Bio Department undergrad Assistant) and will likely be the same for the upcoming year.
do you know if they give conditional acceptances for h.bio for those taking courses in the summer?
Old 04-21-2013 at 09:59 PM   #13
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieLy View Post
do you know if they give conditional acceptances for h.bio for those taking courses in the summer?
I have no idea. I feel as though it is unlikely though due to the amount of extra administrative work it would take..plus if I'm not mistaken second year programs are based solely upon the final first year GPA (unless an interview or supplementary app is needed). At the undergraduate Biology meetings we have discussed transfer averages but not summer school conditional acceptances. You can mirror the program (which is actually very easy to do) however and apply after second year.
Old 04-21-2013 at 10:02 PM   #14
starfish
Elite Member

I know they'll give out conditional acceptances if you have the GPA but are missing a course or two, since first-year students in some faculties aren't allowed to take bio 1M/1A, and the department will only give waivers to students in the summer after their first year.

I doubt you'd get a conditional acceptance if your GPA isn't high enough, though.