MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How hard is it to switch from Honours Life Science into Honours Biology? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-31-2013 09:03 PM
Honours Biology vs Honours Life Science naval23 Academics 12 08-04-2012 03:27 PM
Honours Life Science vs Honours Biology and Psychology Mac2012! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2012 07:58 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Honours Life Sci vs. Life Science

Old 05-13-2013 at 04:47 PM   #1
AmandaFrole

Liked: 0 Times

Honours Life Sci vs. Life Science
Hey!

What is the difference between Honours Life Science and the 3-year Life Science program? I'm switching into life science this year and I really don't understand what the difference is between the two program...the course list kinda looks the same. All I know is that the 3 year program you need a 4 avg to get in and Honours life sci you need a 6. I went to the Science office but I didn't get much info.

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-13-2013 at 05:55 PM   #2
yj11

Liked: 1 Time

I finished my second year in Hons. Life Sci so maybe I can help out. Aside from the differences in the length of the two programs, there are more core requirements in Hons. Life Sciences compared to the B.Sc in Life Sciences. Also, you can do a thesis in your 4th year in Hons. Life Sci, which is required for most grad school programs and professional schools (if that is something you are interested in). However, you don't have to complete a thesis to be in Hons. Life Sci and so you can instead take seminar courses and such in your 4th year. Either way, I would say both programs have a high degree of flexibility compared to other majors in terms of course selection (but the 3 year life sci program doesn't seem to have any core requirements like hons. life science). You should check out the two links I posted below from the undergrad course calendar for more info about the differences between these two programs. Hopefully this helped!

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...14/pg1957.html

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...14/pg1958.html

MCAT Prep likes this.
Old 05-13-2013 at 06:01 PM   #3
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

I know a lot of people apply to post-grad/jobs 3rd year and, if they don't get in, return for a victory lap (Honours) and try again the next year...
Old 05-14-2013 at 01:12 PM   #4
AmandaFrole

Sorry one more question!

So can you do a thesis with the 3-year program? Do you know if grad schools prefer honours life sci than the other life sci?
Old 05-14-2013 at 03:23 PM   #5
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

I'm pretty positive the main difference in Honours one is the ability to do a Thesis (which you're almost required to do these days for a related research-based Graduate program). So as far as I know, no a 3-year non-honours Life Sci program cannot do thesis, and chances are grad schools would strongly prefer that you have done a related thesis over a student who did not (ie. Honours > Non-Honours for grad school).

(I'm a recent graduate of honours life sci, switched from non-honours a couple years back).
Old 05-14-2013 at 03:52 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

You have very little chance of getting into a science-related grad school with a non-honours degree unless you have a really good, solid amount of lab work.

Also, if you're considering grad school, I'd recommend picking a degree program with a focus in the area you want to do grad school in.
Old 05-14-2013 at 04:04 PM   #7
car0tree

in 4th year of honours life science, if you do not do a thesis, do you have to do a seminar course?
Old 05-14-2013 at 08:26 PM   #8
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by car0tree View Post
in 4th year of honours life science, if you do not do a thesis, do you have to do a seminar course?
Hey, yes. They are just like any other seminar classes, you get a research project to work on, normally.
Old 05-14-2013 at 08:28 PM   #9
car0tree

what exactly do you do in the seminar class? is there anyway you can opt to not do the thesis or seminar?
Old 05-14-2013 at 08:35 PM   #10
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by car0tree View Post
what exactly do you do in the seminar class? is there anyway you can opt to not do the thesis or seminar?

A seminar is mainly focused on discussions. It depends on the instructor. Some instructors would allot you and your group/pair a research topic or you can pick it yourself and it will comprise of phases and would quite possibly end in a formal written project plus a presentation. So you'll be teaching your class the selected topic. Other seminars could have more structure but in any seminar class, the main objective is discussions as class sizes are fairly small. Don't be afraid of a seminar though if that's what's holding you back. They can be quite enjoyable. If you'd like to do honours life sci, you can't finish your degree without doing either thesis or seminar. It's possible to skip both in general life sci.
Old 05-14-2013 at 09:04 PM   #11
marido

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
A seminar is mainly focused on discussions. It depends on the instructor. Some instructors would allot you and your group/pair a research topic or you can pick it yourself and it will comprise of phases and would quite possibly end in a formal written project plus a presentation. So you'll be teaching your class the selected topic. Other seminars could have more structure but in any seminar class, the main objective is discussions as class sizes are fairly small. Don't be afraid of a seminar though if that's what's holding you back. They can be quite enjoyable. If you'd like to do honours life sci, you can't finish your degree without doing either thesis or seminar. It's possible to skip both in general life sci.
where does it say that you have to do a seminar in 4th year to be able to graduate?
according to degree audit thesis or seminar isnt listed as mandatory required course for graduation
Old 05-14-2013 at 09:11 PM   #12
yj11

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by marido View Post
where does it say that you have to do a seminar in 4th year to be able to graduate?
according to degree audit thesis or seminar isnt listed as mandatory required course for graduation

That is true, but for Hons. Life Sci you have to take at least 6 courses that are level III and/or IV courses from the hons. life science course list. I guess you can sort of circumvent seminar and thesis courses, but it depends on what courses you take.
Old 05-15-2013 at 10:02 PM   #13
car0tree

so you don't have to take a seminar or thesis- confusesd
Old 05-15-2013 at 10:10 PM   #14
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1957.html

Those are the requirements. You can get away without, but depending on course offerings/schedulings/your interest, it may be difficult.