MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Biology and Physiology? VoyozooT Academics 17 07-05-2010 10:45 AM
Honours Biology vs. Molecular Biology and Genetics Nikki03 Academics 3 06-27-2010 10:31 PM
Honours Biology (Physiology) mac-sci Academics 78 06-22-2010 09:12 PM
Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics The MACster First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 03-01-2010 07:45 PM
Honours Biology - Genetics Specialization rrtt Academics 0 03-22-2009 01:02 PM

Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization)

Old 06-10-2010 at 12:45 PM   #1
kritters91

Liked: 0 Times

Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization)
I'm debating between these two programs (Hon. Bio (physio) and Hon. Molecular Bio and Genetics) and would appreciate any insight on the two programs regarding:

- The difference between the two
- The difficulty of each
- How easy/ difficult it is to stay on top of things (and any advice you may have on how to stay organized while pursuing one of these two programs - what do YOU do?)
- Would it be possible to take Biochem courses in second year if in Honours Bio (physio)?

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2010 at 12:49 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritters91 View Post
I'm debating between these two programs (Hon. Bio (physio) and Hon. Molecular Bio and Genetics) and would appreciate any insight on the two programs regarding:

- The difficulty of each
- How easy/ difficult it is to stay on top of things (and any advice you may have on how to stay organized while pursuing one of these two programs - what do YOU do?)
- Would it be possible to take Biochem courses in second year if in Honours Bio (physio)?

Thanks!
I believe for Honours Biology you can't take Biochem 2B03 or 2BB3, so you would have to take 2EE3 and 3G03.

Genetics is still quite general in second year, you take a lot of the same courses as other programs. It's not that hard to stay on top of the material as long as you know how to manage your time.

Everyone learns differently, don't follow what other people say. You have to figure out how YOU learn best and then apply that.

kritters91 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-10-2010 at 12:53 PM   #3
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

I'm not in either but because they're both bio specialzations, I'd assume it would be about the same in terms of workload. They just differ in course material. You should choose what you're more interested in. The two programs won't be very different in second year. For bio physio I think you'll need to take Bio 2A03 but you wouldn't need that for molecular bio. You'll need orgo I and II for both, Physics 1B03 and Biochem 3G03 for both. And you can take biochem courses in either program.
Old 06-10-2010 at 12:55 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I'm not in either but because they're both bio specialzations, I'd assume it would be about the same in terms of workload. They just differ in course material. You should choose what you're more interested in. The two programs won't be very different in second year. For bio physio I think you'll need to take Bio 2A03 but you wouldn't need that for molecular bio. You'll need orgo I and II for both, Physics 1B03 and Biochem 3G03 for both. And you can take biochem courses in either program.
You don't need Biochem 3G03 for Genetics. I'm actually not permitted to take that course because I took Biochem 2B03.
Old 06-10-2010 at 07:42 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritters91 View Post

- The difficulty of each

Thanks!
I just graduated from the physiology program.

The main difference I find is that molecular biology is more focused on pathways (hence you'll have to memorize the names of lots of molecules) whereas physiology is focused on having a solid background of physiological principles and applying the information. I hate memorizing things and prefer using logical reasoning so physiology is less difficult for me. It really depends on your own strengths.

It was pretty easy to stay on top of things, except during my final year when I had to balance a thesis (almost the same hours as a full time job) and interviews/grad school applications.

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ght=physiology

For more of the threads that I've responded to about the physiology program check the above link(s) : )

kritters91 says thanks to Lois for this post.