MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching From Hons Bio to Hons Life Sci. Eric Wong Academics 2 12-07-2012 09:34 AM
Question Hons Life Sci Courses lt93 Academics 3 06-05-2011 02:01 PM
Hons. Biology (Physiology spec.) mac-sci Academics 2 06-09-2010 09:51 PM
Biopsych program killza Academics 18 06-07-2010 10:10 PM
Biopsych Harlequin Academics 1 10-02-2008 08:39 PM

Hons Life Sci vs Biopsych

Old 06-03-2013 at 02:41 PM   #1
Aaliyah

Liked: 3 Times

Hons Life Sci vs Biopsych
I'm debating whether I should go into honours life science or biopsych. If I go into life sci, I would be able to have a higher gpa as I can choose the more electives that are easy. However, biopsych does seem interesting and I liked first year psychology courses. I am planning on going into either dentistry or optometry after my undergrad. Both of which require high gpa, so Im not sure exactly what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-03-2013 at 03:02 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

most of the ppl in the program want to go to professional school anyways just like the people from other programs like chembio, biochem, etc. these programs aint that hard and tons of people go to professional school from them. if youre really into biopsych then go for it. you can switch out of it and back into life sci anytime you want, but switching in from life sci into biopsych will be hard.

Aaliyah says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 06-03-2013 at 03:16 PM   #3
Aaliyah

Liked: 3 Times

Do professional schools look at what program you did for your undergrad, or do they just look at if you have a bsc?
Old 06-03-2013 at 03:53 PM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

im pretty sure most dont even look at if you have a bsc. most just require a 4 year undergrad. they dont care if courses you take are hard or easy. you can have any type of undergrad.

airvcarmelo likes this.
Old 06-03-2013 at 05:03 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

UofT claims to take course difficulty into account during admissions for some of their professional programs. I haven't the slightest clue how they do that, though.

Even if that isn't true (and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't), I would highly discourage you from going into lifesci just because you think you can take a bunch of easy courses and get a higher GPA.
Old 06-03-2013 at 05:31 PM   #6
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

A lot of schools in the US usually look at two GPAs Cumulative and science GPA. They may use a similar system - science GPA includes; bio, chem, physics and math courses.
Old 06-03-2013 at 06:10 PM   #7
ab299

Liked: 1 Time

If you want to get a masters in biology, can you get an undergrad degree in life science? Or will you not be accepted?
Old 06-03-2013 at 06:29 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab299 View Post
If you want to get a masters in biology, can you get an undergrad degree in life science? Or will you not be accepted?
Relevant experience is the most important thing. You would certainly have an advantage coming from biology rather than life sci, but that doesn't mean you'll be automatically rejected for being in life sci, either.
Old 06-03-2013 at 06:39 PM   #9
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab299 View Post
For U of T grad school, there are various "biology" related departments such as physiology, cell and mol biology, biochemistry, immunology, medical science, pathobiology, molecular genetics, etc.... A life science degree will most likely NOT get you into one of these biology related programs since a life science degree is NOT specialized (even if they say a life science related degree is fine). McMaster graduate school tend to be more lenient I believe, since you can go into biology or medical science graduate program with a life sciences degree.

ab299 says thanks to gggggg for this post.