MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
Looks like the strike is over. michelle General Discussion 46 11-11-2009 09:17 AM
how likely is the strike? secretone General Discussion 113 10-31-2009 11:57 AM
strike? secretone General Discussion 22 10-31-2009 11:32 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM

HSR Strike

Old 11-15-2007 at 12:21 AM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

HSR Strike
HSR Strike
By Danielle Lorenz

Some of you may be a little bit stressed at the moment. Not from midterms, essays, presentations, assignments or upcoming exams, but from the simple fact of transportation. Because I live under a rock (no radio, no time for TV,
internet not working at my house at the moment), I had no idea what the situation was. However, I was at work today and I was informed. HSR may go on strike. With a strike deadline of 12AM on Thursday November 15th, many students could be quite screwed and quite quickly. I do not know what is going to happen.

But I do know the HSR has gone on strike more than once before, and it affected the students back then too. The previous time was the time of the Downstairs John, so admittedly it was some time ago (1998). During an SRA meeting during that time students voiced their concerns on the matter, and suggested that the SRA take action on their behalf: either by forcing the HSR and the region to negotiate, or to provide a bus service for students. However, the SRA stated that they could do neither, and gave three reasons. First although McMaster is a large community, they are not so big that they can force people to negotiate. Second, it would be inappropriate for the MSU to run buses on campus due to the many unions found here. And lastly, the cost would be far too much; they suggested $250 000 for only eight weeks.

That strike lasted for a total of twelve weeks; from November 1998 until January of 1999. 50 000 daily riders were impacted from the strike. Hamilton's air quality decreased (even more). Social services were exhausted trying to transport patients and volunteers. Those affected most by the strike were students, the working poor, and the elderly.

Two demands that the HSR drivers, mechanics and support staff want, according to an article in the Spectator is a pay raise above the inflation rate, and a washroom located downtown. Those are not outrageous demands by any stretch. Currently, drivers are using the bathroom in a restaurant downtown, which isn't open early or late so drivers on those shifts can't even use it.

I really hope that an agreement has been made. Although I don't rely on the bus as much as certain people do, the situation really sucks for everyone who is involved.

Last edited by lorend : 05-29-2008 at 10:25 PM.