life sci 2h03 ? 0t10 Academics 4 06-17-2010 01:58 PM

Hth Sci 2h03

Hth Sci 2h03
Introduction to Pharmacology
Published by shleyaa
12-16-2009
Published by

Hth Sci 2h03

So this course is an intro course to pharmacology from a nursing perspective. Unfortunately only those registered in the nursing program (I forget what streams) can take it, because it's a pretty interesting and useful class! Dr. Kirsten Culver, the professor is AMAAAZING...her lectures are the most organized lectures I've ever seen, and she's always available to answer questions after lecture and on ELM. The lectures are broken down into 5 lecture series:
  • Core Concepts in Pharmacology
  • Pharmacology of the Endocrine System
  • Pharmacology of the Central Nervous System
  • Pharmacology of the Cardiovascular System
  • Pharmacology of the Respiratory and Gastrointestinal System
To ensure participation, lectures do have a participatory component that uses the i-Clickers. You need to attend at least 80% of the lectures, so if you forget your clicker or miss one class, it's no big After each unit, there is an online learning module and quiz that you have to complete. You get a week to complete both, but once you start the quiz, you have 15 minutes to complete it.

Tutorials
The tutorials were ridiculous! We basically spent less than two hours playing games such as Jeopardy and Nursing Survivor. Depending on your TA or tutorial members, you can play in teams or as a group. The tutorial is based on what you learned in class that day, so it really helps to prepare and read the textbook beforehand. Oh, and you're responsible for textbook material for tutorials, but not for the exam.

Overall, if you attend all the lectures and keep up with the material, this course is not very difficult. Dr. Culver does an excellent job explaining the concepts and making sure the class is on the same page. The midterm and exams are solely based on the lectures and learning modules, so if you pay attention in class, then you're set! I'll admit, the interest factor did play a huge role in my opinion...but that's always a good thing because the more you like the material of a course, the better you do in it, right?
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Hth Sci 2h03!

Old 04-30-2010 at 01:50 PM   #2
Anoosha91

Liked: 0 Times
Hey I had a question, is there a text book associated with this course, or are we just learning straight from the lectures? And on top if there is a textbook is it useful?
Old 04-30-2010 at 09:11 PM   #3
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times
There is a textbook, and I found it somewhat useful. We needed it for tutorials because some of what was tested in tutorial was from the text. It's a great resource, in my opinion.

Old 08-15-2011 at 01:20 PM   #4
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times
Surprisingly I was able to get in to this class. Not in nursing, but I think it'll be quite helpful when I'm out in clinical.

Are IClickers still being used in this class?

Old 08-27-2011 at 06:49 PM   #5
mtam

Liked: 4 Times
Yes they are.

_Luu_ says thanks to mtam for this post.
Old 07-23-2012 at 06:44 PM   #6
shelbs

Liked: 15 Times
Do you know what textbook is used or was used for this course in previous years?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search