MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-07-2009 at 01:42 PM   #1
WatchesUPee

Liked: 0 Times

IB's, please help!
I took Chemistry HL as an elective last year, and got higher than 6. As such, I'd like to take off Chem 1A03.

How do I request that?

As well, I want to take Chem 1AA3, but take off Chem 1A03. Is that possible? Taking off Chem 1A03 would definitely make my 1AA3 requirements "FAILED" on SOLAR, but i need a space for Physics 1BB3.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 07-07-2009 at 02:08 PM   #2
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchesUPee View Post
I took Chemistry HL as an elective last year, and got higher than 6. As such, I'd like to take off Chem 1A03.

How do I request that?

As well, I want to take Chem 1AA3, but take off Chem 1A03. Is that possible? Taking off Chem 1A03 would definitely make my 1AA3 requirements "FAILED" on SOLAR, but i need a space for Physics 1BB3.

Thanks a lot for your help.
You have to contact your faculty for permission and they may or may not allow you to take off chem 1a03 at their discretion.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /future/ibprogram.html

If you are allowed to directly take chem 1aa3, then your faculty would waive the requirements for the course for you. And again, you have to contact your faculty for that.
Old 07-10-2009 at 04:55 PM   #3
hydravien

Liked: 0 Times

a fellow ib student!

i too am going through this struggle. i was bounced around the various mcmaster departments for the better part of an hour before i got someone who was even remotely interested in helping me.

i managed to do fairly decent and get the required 33 (a shock to me) for them to look at me for engineering courses... but all i want to do is take off those complimentary study electives... i still want to take chem because i dont think we covered all of it that the 1a03 course goes through... though we did a fair bit.

so i called them. registrar->engineering faculty->registrar->high school liason office->faculty of engineering.. a couple more bounces and then back to the faculty of engineering finally.

so the lady i finally talked to said that she would send me an email when she found out what to do (i dont think they get very many ib students). so in her email she said that i needed to setup an email with a lady named sally williams at the beginning of september. they dont have the ability to do anything before then. perhaps if you called the university and asked for her specifcally she would be able to help you.

in your specific case.. im not sure exactly what to do because you need to have it taken care of. i would call the university on the off chance you get someone who knows that theyre doing with regards to ib.

and higher than six in hl chem... my hat is off to you sir.