Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iClicker? Needlenose Academics 3 09-14-2010 12:41 AM

iclicker !!

Old 01-11-2010 at 09:04 PM   #1
escape

Liked: 38 Times

iclicker !!
is it okay to buy a used iclicker? I heard you have to register them online so how does it tranfer from one student's name under another student's name. I have never used one before so any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-11-2010 at 09:11 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
is it okay to buy a used iclicker? I heard you have to register them online so how does it tranfer from one student's name under another student's name. I have never used one before so any help would be appreciated.

You just re-register it under a new name.
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:11 PM   #3
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

probably not. at the start of the year, we registered our iClickers through a site, and haven't re-registered them since.
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:11 PM   #4
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

The iclickers have a remote I.D. at the back that you register it with on the iclicker website along with your student number and I.D.

The website state

I use my i>clicker remote for multiple classes with different professors? Do I have to register for each individual class?

No. You only need to register once and your registration information will apply to all of the classes for which you are using i>clicker (provided you have voted with your remote in each class).
Can I share my i>clicker remote with my roommate/friend?

"registration is tied to your student ID/name and your professor’s roster, you can share your i>clicker remote with a friend or roommate as long as you are taking different classes/sections. You cannot share an i>clicker for the same class/section.

Therefore, I assume that as long as you register the clicker under your name it will be fine. I recommend that you check with your prof, after registering, to see if the clicker is registered to make sure your anwers are being submitted.
Good luck!
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:13 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
The iclickers have a remote I.D. at the back that you register it with on the iclicker website along with your student number and I.D.

The website state

I use my i>clicker remote for multiple classes with different professors? Do I have to register for each individual class?

No. You only need to register once and your registration information will apply to all of the classes for which you are using i>clicker (provided you have voted with your remote in each class).
Can I share my i>clicker remote with my roommate/friend?

"registration is tied to your student ID/name and your professor’s roster, you can share your i>clicker remote with a friend or roommate as long as you are taking different classes/sections. You cannot share an i>clicker for the same class/section.

Therefore, I assume that as long as you register the clicker under your name it will be fine. I recommend that you check with your prof, after registering, to see if the clicker is registered to make sure your anwers are being submitted.
Good luck!
If you are sharing with your friend/roommate don't forget to register it every single time you use it. The last thing you want is to lose marks because you forgot to register it. Only the last registration is the one that is used.
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:15 PM   #6
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
If you are sharing with your friend/roommate don't forget to register it every single time you use it.
people share iclickers??
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:16 PM   #7
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Thanks guys

I'll definitely check with my prof.
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:20 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
people share iclickers??
It's possible, but I would recommend buying individual ones. If you are living with roommates you might want to put a sticker or something on yours to make sure you don't go to class with the wrong one.
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:21 PM   #9
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
If you are sharing with your friend/roommate don't forget to register it every single time you use it. The last thing you want is to lose marks because you forgot to register it. Only the last registration is the one that is used.
That information is directly from the website that makes the iclickers, and it doesn't make sense to re-register the i-clicker EVERY time you go to class, if its under your name and you have different classes....
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:22 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
That information is directly from the website that makes the iclickers, and it doesn't make sense to re-register the i-clicker EVERY time you go to class, if its under your name and you have different classes....
What? You can't have two names registered to the iClicker at the same time. If you are sharing the iClicker with your friend, you always have to make sure it's your name that's registered to the iClicker.
Old 01-11-2010 at 10:53 PM   #11
MacLovin

Liked: 1 Time

For your information, the iClicker database is cleared annually in August, and as such must be re-registered every year - this is one reason why it's okay to sell a used iClicker.
Old 01-11-2010 at 11:04 PM   #12
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

At Undercovers, we sell used iClickers all the time! You just register your name under your student number...the previous person's student name and number will still be on it, but you'll still be able to use it.

Old 01-11-2010 at 11:36 PM   #13
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLovin View Post
For your information, the iClicker database is cleared annually in August, and as such must be re-registered every year - this is one reason why it's okay to sell a used iClicker.
Do we really have to re-register the iClicker every year? I registered my iClicker in Sept 2008 and I was still registered last term (i.e., Sept 2009)...
Old 01-12-2010 at 11:58 AM   #14
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
Do we really have to re-register the iClicker every year? I registered my iClicker in Sept 2008 and I was still registered last term (i.e., Sept 2009)...
Yes, I can confirm this... it's been explained to me multiple times by my professors who use iClickers. The database is wiped each year, so you're supposed to re-register it annually.

From the iClicker website FAQ (available here):

Quote:
14. How do I un-register my remote?

There is no need to un-register your remote, even if you will no longer be using it. Registration does not alter the i>clicker remote in any way, and the registration database is cleared automatically at the end of each semester.
So, if you don't re-register it annually, then answers you give in classes won't be attributed to your student ID.

Last edited by Taunton : 01-12-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2010 at 06:29 PM   #15
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Yes, I can confirm this... it's been explained to me multiple times by my professors who use iClickers. The database is wiped each year, so you're supposed to re-register it annually.

From the iClicker website FAQ (available here):

So, if you don't re-register it annually, then answers you give in classes won't be attributed to your student ID.
That is really weird. I didn’t re-register and my answers were still attributed to my student ID.....Probably just a glitch in the system.