Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ideal Course Setup Goce Academics 9 10-20-2008 03:55 AM

The Ideal TA (tm)

Old 08-21-2009 at 07:54 PM   #46
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

That "Calculus for the scared" thread by mellye inspired me to make little help modules for calculus and linear algebra...so I have two questions (and I apologize for asking this in two places), particularly for the students entering first year:

(Here is a 'test' version of the site...it only has the relevant stuff on it at this point https://muss.cis.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/module1.html)

Question 1: Is the language ok? Is it too in-depth? Not in-depth enough?

Question 2: Is such a thing useful? I know it's basically like a textbook summary, but I don't think most textbooks offer informal explanations like that. Please let me know if it's useful, and if it is I'd be happy to finish making it. (:
Old 08-21-2009 at 08:07 PM   #47
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Okay, so I'm gonna ignore all of the questions you asked and give you my experience of first year math and how I would have liked it conducted.

I was originally in psychology and actually switched programs because I couldn't do the math. I was in the "easiest" math course as most deem it because it's apparently high school math. Well, considering I haven't done math since grade 10 and I was in third year-- well I kind of forgot everything. My prof said I was a lost cause-- yes, those words exactly. And my TA-- well I wouldn't know if he was good or not because our tutorial was bigger than lecture-- yup, that's right more people attended tutorial than lecture. It was a waste of my time. I didn't understand the concepts and couldn't receive the one on one help I needed. I pretty much lived at the Math Help Centre in HH but all of the TAs assumed that I knew all of the basics. Yes, it was embarrassing at times because I forgot "obvious" things that I learned back in grade 6 but honestly if you don't practice it it won't stick. You need to be flexible and know who you're dealing with as a TA. If the person knows their stuff but has difficulty on one random question don't go over the basics. Get a feel for the tutorial to determine their level. And if a student needs extra help go the extra mile for them. I spent three weeks studying like crazy for the first calculus test and focusing on that course only and I failed that test--miserably and then just gave up altogether. I personally felt like I didn't have enough support. The prof didn't have faith on me, the TA had too many students and the Math Help Centre is ALWAYS packed. But I don't think that's something you can fix personally but you can make a huge impact on a few lives. =)

Best of luck with TA-ing

Mowicz says thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 08-21-2009 at 08:13 PM   #48
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Question 1: I <3 Course webpages. I personally like knowing as much information as I can. WebCT is my life. I think it'd be beneficial.

Question 2: .I think you can have numerous sections which include study tips, maybe homework help for the tougher questions, maybe even a forum for students who want to chat with others for assistance?

Question 3: Yeah, that's a good idea. When I need a lot of help in a course, I go to ALL TAs

Question 4: I would take advantage of private tutoring sessions depending on the cost.

"So basically...I'm willing to do the work, compile some notes, write up solutions, give tips, etc."

- I like your attitude =)

Mowicz says thanks to ferreinm for this post.
Old 08-21-2009 at 11:54 PM   #49
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Question 1: Is the language ok? Is it too in-depth? Not in-depth enough?

Question 2: Is such a thing useful? I know it's basically like a textbook summary, but I don't think most textbooks offer informal explanations like that. Please let me know if it's useful, and if it is I'd be happy to finish making it. (:
1) Do you mean too math-y? If so, no. I sorta-kinda remembered some of those terms, and it's been years since I've taken a calc class. If you think students won't remember the terminology you can always hyperlink the terms to Wikipedia to make things faster/easier on you that re-writing them all and hosting the definitions somewhere else.

2) Yes. If there was something like this available when I was taking 1M03 I would have been happy.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Mowicz says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-22-2009 at 12:24 PM   #50
Mowicz
Elite Member

Thanks to everyone for all of the help. Means a lot to me. (:

I was just contacted in regards to what tutorial I will be conducting, and it turns out I wasn't given a 1st year course as I was expecting. Actually, I was between a few 2nd year and one 3rd year course in my faaaaaaaavourite subject (possibly because I had a bit of experience TAing?).

In the end I've chosen to do tutorials for Math 2X03...even though as I mentioned, that 3rd year course, Math 3T03, was my favourite. ): (Wish I could do both!)

But this means that even though your help was very beneficial to me, it won't benefit the students as much this term. ): Maybe in 2nd term I'll get a 1st year course, and be able to hone my newfound skills/ideas. (:

Why did I choose 2X03?

I don't know any other course that math students are as concerned about, since the professor's ratings (and even my own account of him) are really poor. I feel like I could do some good and give students a little extra help.

Plus this way, I know students will attend my tutorial.

----------------------

EDIT: I've just been informed my tutorial's been switched to Math 2A03 because someone else had scheduling issues. *facepalm*

Well, hopefully things work out for the 2X03ers, I tried!

Repeat: I am now TAing Math 2A03

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-22-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2009 at 02:36 PM   #51
Mowicz
Elite Member

**UPDATE**

I completed my first little lesson on limits...can anyone check it over for me? Again my main concern is how useful it is, and if the language is too advanced.

(And again, the purpose of this page isn't to necessarily 'teach' the ideas, because that's what a textbook is for...instead, it's to simplify the concepts, give analogies and explanations)

https://muss.cis.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/module1.html

Thanks in advance. (:
Old 08-28-2009 at 03:08 PM   #52
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I'm reading through it and so far I understand it (which is surprising because I'm not always this fast when it comes to picking up Math).
Thus far; the language is simple and easy to comprehend and the analogy is not corny.
I really appreciate the amount of time you've put into this, Mike, I think it's going to be very helpful for your students

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Mowicz says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 08-28-2009 at 03:34 PM   #53
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
**UPDATE**

I completed my first little lesson on limits...can anyone check it over for me? Again my main concern is how useful it is, and if the language is too advanced.

(And again, the purpose of this page isn't to necessarily 'teach' the ideas, because that's what a textbook is for...instead, it's to simplify the concepts, give analogies and explanations)

https://muss.cis.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/module1.html

Thanks in advance. (:
Wow. Very well put together imo. The language seems fine to me and math really isn't my strong suit.

Mowicz says thanks to u.yousaf for this post.
Old 09-13-2009 at 11:28 AM   #54
Mowicz
Elite Member

Sorry to bump this topic again, but I'd just like a bit more input regarding this (hopefully last (sorry!)) thing:

I got the idea of posting my available hours online in a 'calendar' format...basically I'd indicate when I was in my office, etc. so students could check there first before dropping by and wasting their time.

So my question is, would students actually use it? (It's a bit more difficult to maintain)

Here's a sample of what I mean:

https://muss.cis.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/calendar.html

(P.S. For anyone interested, my webpage is now at its permanent spot, http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/ )
Old 09-13-2009 at 11:32 AM   #55
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Sorry to bump this topic again, but I'd just like a bit more input regarding this (hopefully last (sorry!)) thing:

I got the idea of posting my available hours online in a 'calendar' format...basically I'd indicate when I was in my office, etc. so students could check there first before dropping by and wasting their time.

So my question is, would students actually use it? (It's a bit more difficult to maintain)

Here's a sample of what I mean:

https://muss.cis.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/calendar.html

(P.S. For anyone interested, my webpage is now at its permanent spot, http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/ )
I think it's a good idea. But you'll likely have to remind your students to check there first before emailing you your availability.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Mowicz says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 09-13-2009 at 09:07 PM   #56
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Is your site complete yet? If it is, your links don't work.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-13-2009 at 10:08 PM   #57
Mowicz
Elite Member

No, I didn't make things like my teaching philosophy or Curriculum Vitae because I haven't taught/completed any courses yet. Haha.

But the things that are complete should be working. (:
Old 09-14-2009 at 10:33 AM   #58
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Good luck with TA-ing Mike, should be interesting. ;]

Mowicz says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 09-26-2009 at 05:52 PM   #59
Mowicz
Elite Member

After doing my first tutorial, I found I was insanely nervous despite having lots of 1 on 1 tutoring, and small tutorial experience. (This is because my tutorial had close to 80 students in it and is in one of the very large lecture halls in the HSC building).

How do I calm down? Preparation isn't the issue, because I prepared for 3 hours (as opposed to the recommended hour) and had lots of organized things to say...but when I delivered them, I'd leave out points and later be like "I probably should have mentioned (whatever)." In other words, the nervousness destroyed my organization.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that 2 smart-alec-y students were laughing at me every time I turned around like I had a "Kick Me" sign on my back or something. Of course it likely wasn't me they were laughing at, but the paranoia is definitely there, haha. It's a lack of confidence in front of large groups (which is weird, because I thought I was fine in front of large groups...doing drama and other performances).

Does anyone have any advice? During my office hours (later on in the week) a student told me he didn't notice I was nervous and that I did an ok job...but I know for sure, I didn't deliver the material like I should/could have...even if it was 'good enough anyway.'
Old 09-26-2009 at 06:30 PM   #60
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
After doing my first tutorial, I found I was insanely nervous despite having lots of 1 on 1 tutoring, and small tutorial experience. (This is because my tutorial had close to 80 students in it and is in one of the very large lecture halls in the HSC building).

How do I calm down? Preparation isn't the issue, because I prepared for 3 hours (as opposed to the recommended hour) and had lots of organized things to say...but when I delivered them, I'd leave out points and later be like "I probably should have mentioned (whatever)." In other words, the nervousness destroyed my organization.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that 2 smart-alec-y students were laughing at me every time I turned around like I had a "Kick Me" sign on my back or something. Of course it likely wasn't me they were laughing at, but the paranoia is definitely there, haha. It's a lack of confidence in front of large groups (which is weird, because I thought I was fine in front of large groups...doing drama and other performances).

Does anyone have any advice? During my office hours (later on in the week) a student told me he didn't notice I was nervous and that I did an ok job...but I know for sure, I didn't deliver the material like I should/could have...even if it was 'good enough anyway.'
Smoke up.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Mowicz likes this.