MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conservatives Follow Through on Environmental Ignorance mike_302 Politics 30 02-15-2012 08:38 AM

Ignorance... racisism... really???

Old 04-21-2013 at 03:23 PM   #1
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Ignorance... racisism... really???
So i came across this page "I want to go to mcmaster university" on facebook... saw a friend had commented about it. Basically its a page claiming that McMaster University needs to reduce its racial bias in admissions and increase african student enrollment by 17% by 2017... anyone else think this is the most ignorant complaint they have ever seen?
Mac accepts students solely on grades as stated in the following statement issued by the university:
http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /artic...y-at-mcmaster/

If anyone wants to look at the page, here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-wan...39517582887883

Comment, lets hear what others think, and maybe the OP of that page can get an idea of the general reception to their thoughts on here.

Jesse.C likes this.
Old 04-21-2013 at 03:28 PM   #2
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

i think its a non-issue

most people have rebutted them on their own page and have put up valid arguments agaisnt that groups beilefs on that page.
many others i've talked to have ignored them for the most part.
the university has also pretty much done the same thing and have released a statement about that as well; http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /article/update-on-diversity-at-mcmaster/

Usually when i come across ignorance such as this i dont bother to deal with it. It just gives them the attention they seek and makes them more cocky. so yea. ill just leave it at that.
Old 04-21-2013 at 03:33 PM   #3
mohammyt

Liked: 103 Times

inb4 thode guy

Old 04-21-2013 at 04:12 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I saw it pop up on my facebook feed a couple times when my friends commented on their page, but since the arguments from the page were poorly made, I just blocked the page because I didn't know how long it'd take till it died off and people kept commenting

Chris23 likes this.
Old 04-21-2013 at 06:17 PM   #5
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
i think its a non-issue

most people have rebutted them on their own page and have put up valid arguments agaisnt that groups beilefs on that page.
many others i've talked to have ignored them for the most part.
the university has also pretty much done the same thing and have released a statement about that as well; http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /artic...y-at-mcmaster/

Usually when i come across ignorance such as this i dont bother to deal with it. It just gives them the attention they seek and makes them more cocky. so yea. ill just leave it at that.
Umm... is there a reason you reposted the EXACT same link as i did to the university's response that i already mentioned?
Old 04-21-2013 at 07:45 PM   #6
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

You people are racist. There's a term you have to use, called Urban Market.

Now despite the fact that urban market once stole my TV, I got plenty of non-white friends in Mac, in fact most of my friends are not white. McMaster can easily make Facebook take the group down for spreading the lies.
Old 04-21-2013 at 08:29 PM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Umm... is there a reason you reposted the EXACT same link as i did to the university's response that i already mentioned?
oh lol, sorry... i thought I clicked both links and both went to their facebook page...... guess i double clicked the first one
Old 04-21-2013 at 09:28 PM   #8
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

I think you're overthinking

But now that u mention it, it is kinda true that we don't see a lot of black people around campus
Old 04-21-2013 at 09:46 PM   #9
Chevalier
Elite Member

umm..... there are plenty...imo. (well not as many as other groups, but regardless)

plus as McMaster said in their reply to this group..... it is an automated system that selects students purely on an academic basis, the higher your mark the better your chances of getting in. And for those programs that require an application, students are numbered and dealt as numbers, so i doubt anyone that looks at the application will know that number 1123455 is African american, unless of course you put that into the application. plus by then its not the university being biased, its the individual looking at the application, and several people look at them. So you cant really say the university is being racist
Old 04-21-2013 at 10:52 PM   #10
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

this group is either a very successful troll group or is filled with a group of idiots.
Old 04-21-2013 at 11:16 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist? View Post
this group is either a very successful troll group or is filled with a group of idiots.
They took the time to meet with Patrick Deane...that's pretty intense for a troll.
Old 04-21-2013 at 11:39 PM   #12
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
They took the time to meet with Patrick Deane...that's pretty intense for a troll.
On the contrary, its pretty expected for a group of ignorant trolls
I cant pretend to know the reason why this "group" formed, but my best guess is that its people making excuses for why they didnt get admission, aside from the obvious and correct one that their grades just didnt cut it. What I find amazing about this though is that if you go through McMaster campus, there is an extremely noticeable diversity in the student body when it comes to racial background. Trying to signal out one specific race and saying that they deserve something extra like this is racial discrimination on the part of the group members.
The group should change their name to "I'm a racist hypocrite, and I want to go to McMaster University"
Old 04-22-2013 at 08:08 AM   #13
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 32 Times

people who created this fb page: GO FUCK YOURSELF

Chris23 likes this.
Old 04-22-2013 at 08:42 AM   #14
kimjsi

Liked: 5 Times

So basically, given the fact that McMaster already accepts students based purely on their high school academic performance, they are suggesting McMaster to bias the acceptance toward students of African origin??
Hmm.. I don't see who's the racist here

Jesse.C likes this.
Old 04-22-2013 at 09:13 AM   #15
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjsi View Post
So basically, given the fact that McMaster already accepts students based purely on their high school academic performance, they are suggesting McMaster to bias the acceptance toward students of African origin??
Hmm.. I don't see who's the racist here
The racist is the creators of the Fbook group who think that their racial class deserves privileged treatment. fucking hypocrites