MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New University Policy on Reporting Illness finklej MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-28-2010 02:39 PM
4 FINAL exams in 2 days a conflict? bernas3 Academics 6 02-26-2010 09:46 AM
Movie Night for Mental Illness Week Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 10-07-2009 08:01 PM
When are Final Exams Roughly? RoyK Academics 2 10-16-2008 01:52 PM

Illness- final exams

Old 12-04-2010 at 06:55 PM   #1
demelo_b

Liked: 14 Times

Illness- final exams
Hi everyone,

I am currently very sick, and went to the doctors, currently on medication. I have my exams coming up this week, if I miss one due to illness, what is the procedure?

Has anyone ever missed a final due to illness? I am in 3rd yr life science.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2010 at 07:06 PM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by demelo_b View Post
Hi everyone,

I am currently very sick, and went to the doctors, currently on medication. I have my exams coming up this week, if I miss one due to illness, what is the procedure?

Has anyone ever missed a final due to illness? I am in 3rd yr life science.

Thanks
Study ahead of time
Old 12-04-2010 at 07:06 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

are u well enough to talk to an advisor on this
Old 12-04-2010 at 07:09 PM   #4
demelo_b

yes, i was just wondering if i need to miss one, or even two, what is the process...
Old 12-04-2010 at 07:12 PM   #5
madhur7

Liked: 9 Times

well if u dont feel well on the day of the exam u can always defer the exam ... in which u have to get the deferred exam forum filled by your doctor and then u will have to write a deffered exam during the reading week
Old 12-04-2010 at 07:15 PM   #6
demelo_b

have you done this before madhur, like as long as I get the form filled out by my doctor I am ok?
Old 12-04-2010 at 07:21 PM   #7
madhur7

Liked: 9 Times

no i havent but i think that's the procedure well atleast thats what's posted at this link
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...ent/pg144.html
Old 12-04-2010 at 09:10 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I don't think any deferred exam request is guaranteed, but the procedure does involve getting a doctor's note, yes

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 12-04-2010 at 09:55 PM   #9
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Nope, you are in no way guaranteed a deferral if you get a doctor's note. A note is not even good enough, you need to print out the official McMaster physical assessment sheet and get the doctor to fill it out and sign it. Then, you submit it and the university will take the sheet under advisement when determining whether you should have a deferral. Last year, I felt so shitty the night before 2 exams, and when I looked at what the deferral process entailed, I decided it wasn't even worth it to see a doctor. I just brought 4 bottles of water, and had to sign out of the gym 4-5 times to vomit. If any of you were taking Linear Algebra last year, that was me...

Old 12-04-2010 at 11:55 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Nope, you are in no way guaranteed a deferral if you get a doctor's note. A note is not even good enough, you need to print out the official McMaster physical assessment sheet and get the doctor to fill it out and sign it. Then, you submit it and the university will take the sheet under advisement when determining whether you should have a deferral. Last year, I felt so shitty the night before 2 exams, and when I looked at what the deferral process entailed, I decided it wasn't even worth it to see a doctor. I just brought 4 bottles of water, and had to sign out of the gym 4-5 times to vomit. If any of you were taking Linear Algebra last year, that was me...
Wow that's horrible.

Generally, don't defer an exam unless you have absolutely no choice. Its a horrible process, and you will probably do pretty bad on the exam in the end, its usually in reading week, and by then most people haven't looked at the material at all through the semester, even if they promised themselves they would.

I haven't deferred an exam myself, but I think I've heard enough here and there to say at least what I did above.

Just work through it as much as you can.
Old 12-05-2010 at 08:47 AM   #11
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

I have deferred an exam and britb is right in saying that you will do mostly bad in it but here's an easy way if you must:

Go to the McMaster Health center (basement: MUSC), get an appointment or tell them that you have the doctor's note and want to defer an exam, they will either schedule a checkup and/or fill the required form which you will then submit to your faculty.

In my case, I had directly gone to the health center since I lived on campus and the doctor told me to not go to the exam if I wasn't feeling very well by the next day (which was the exam day), I didn't do and then I submitted the form to my faculty. It isn't guaranteed but if your reason's good enough, they should allow you to sit the exam later (especially if you will fail without it).
Old 12-05-2010 at 11:06 PM   #12
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Unless you're dying I'd definitely tough it out... How much better would it be to continue remembering what you learned this semester and carrying it over to second semester's reading week with all the new stuff you're trying to learn?
Old 12-06-2010 at 09:57 AM   #13
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I had to deffer my exams in first year because I had to have surgery, and it sucked. On top of having to study for midterms and writing essays for my second semester classes, I also had to study everything for my first semester classes.

So like others said, unless you absolutely cannot write an exam, I'd just go and write it while sick.