MacInsiders Logo

I'm depressed.

Old 02-10-2011 at 06:49 PM   #16
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I give my self guilt-free sleepfests when I get pretty bad this way.. usually refreshes me.. may not work for you.
I'm kinda in your situation again as well, so I can't really help! haha
Old 02-10-2011 at 06:51 PM   #17
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

It is your duty to keep studying because you came to university as a student, who wants to excel and reach higher goals.

Just ask yourself how an ideal student should be like and try to be that student everyday for the until the end of exams.

And if you want to get out from the downward spiral, you have keep active.

Try going to the gym and doing constructive and unpassive activities with your time.

And if you really can't function, please go to the doctor.

Hopefully this helps.

Been there, done that.

Alvand, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 02-10-2011 at 07:39 PM   #18
keish

Liked: 9 Times

Could be in the same boat, not really too sure. I'm probably going to go to the CSD and talk to someone there. I did a couple years ago when I realized I had a mild case of ADD and they were pretty helpful. I found out a couple of my friends are thinking about talking to me about trying anti-depressants (someone overheard them talking and told me) which kinda motivated me to do something about it myself, but I'm not entirely sure what being depressed is to be honest. Anyone know any good places to get information about it? I already know I'm not the down on life kind of depressed but I'm under the impression that there are different forms of it?
Old 02-10-2011 at 07:49 PM   #19
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Being depressed is usually a chronic mental health condition characterized by feelings of sadness, worthlessness, excessive fatigue and exhaustion, low levels of motivation and appetite.

You may find yourself withdrawing from activities you formerly enjoyed, or spending less time in social situations and more time by yourself.

It may be commonly misdiagnosed as stress because the symptoms tend to overlap with many other mental health conditions and physical health conditions as well.

To get a formal diagnosis for depression, you must see a physician. They would normally check blood work and family history to overrule any previous conditions.

Being depressed is usually a long term problem, so a sudden bout of sadness may or may not be representative of major depression.

You may also suffer from depressive episodes ranging between a few weeks to a few months characterized by pain, loneliness, low motivation, sadness, loss of energy, fatigue, etc.

However, nobody can really dispense advice except a physician or counsellor (who will redirect you to said physician) and the Internet can appear comforting but is no substitute for professional medical care.

For instance, somebody on this thread may have unnaturally low levels of iron and experience the chronic fatigue and loss of energy which would prevent them from enjoying things they love, etc, and empathize with you, whereas you might be suffering from a very treatable but serious mental health condition.

I strongly urge you to drop into Campus Health and the CSD.
Depression is not uncommon and it may even be Seasonal Affective Disorder but you will not know until you get professional advice from a trained counsellor or licensed physician.

Campus Health can usually fit you in within one or two days, the maximum being 3 or 4.

Antidepressants may not be the cure for you whereas they may work wonderfully for others and you may be suggested other alternatives like therapy, or a combined treatment plan (therapy + meds).

Nonetheless, you have several options available to you and the most important thing is to get the support that is readily accessible to you. All these venues are confidential and trained.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

keish says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 02-10-2011 at 08:02 PM   #20
keish

Thanks, depression does run in my dad's side of my family a lot which is why I figured that's what it could be. My family Dr. is back home and out of the way to make an appointment with, does the Health Center on campus do blood work or do you think I would be required to go to my family Dr since I do have one?
Old 02-10-2011 at 08:06 PM   #21
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

My tips:

Stop masturbating (if you are doing it). It actually helps make you tire and as a result you sleep more.

Stop watching movies or basically any activities that you don't need to actively engage yourself in. This will end up helping you pass through time faster and help you to forget reality so to speak. This includes constant browsing on internet.

Start sweating (not the solo sexual kind). I mean exercise, even if its 5 minutes sweat. It will help.

Start getting help like the above recommended CSD. Don't try to read in on depression and try to self diagnose, it won't help. Probably even make it worst since it gives you the ability to excuse your behaviours (depends on the person, for me, it did).

Realize that you are not alone.

Don't procrastinate in getting help!
Old 02-10-2011 at 08:09 PM   #22
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

I'll say it straight up:
Smoke some weed.

Desda likes this.
Old 02-10-2011 at 08:37 PM   #23
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
I'll say it straight up:
Smoke some weed.
how the fck is that a good idea, i love smoking weed but i can't get shit done when im high, and i think im in the minority but i feel discombobulated the next day after smoking so it might not be for everyone.
Old 02-10-2011 at 08:44 PM   #24
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

I agree with the suggestions to see CSD if this could be a serious issue of depression.

I'd heard sayings before, like 'the best time to work is when you feel unmotivated'... sounds kinda lame but I think it's true. I feel pretty lazy and unmotivated lately, but it is midterm right now, I obviously can't afford to feel that way. Lately when I sit down and study, I feel like I don't want to, but I think that helps because if i'm really bored I tend to study and work in the most straightforward way possible. I'm not saying to half-ass anything, but it helps me to simplify everything I'm doing. Don't wait until you feel better to work. There's something called the '5-minute rule'- if you sit down and tell yourself to focus on something for only 5 minutes(like completely 100% focus) and after that you don't want to, you can stop. But the majority of the time you'll find that you will continue... it sounds obvious but it's just a little motivation technique I find helps me.
Old 02-10-2011 at 08:44 PM   #25
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

to the OP: don't smoke weed. It will worsen your depression. Please don't listen to ppl on a public forum like MI. They will misinform you. Rather talk to a professional and get help.
Old 02-10-2011 at 08:45 PM   #26
keish

It works for some people and not for others. A few years ago 3 of my friend's failed out of school because they started smoking weed. One of my friend's it helps him focus when he studies. It only works for some people and I'd guess that they would be the minority.If you think weed is going to work for you I'd say go to your Dr and find out and get some of that crazy-sick medicinal weed anyways.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:03 PM   #27
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

I highly do not recommend doing it, but you're free to make your choices. If you do, I would recommend even less to do so dependently for "focusing". Studies haven't really shown that it does help you focus, or otherwise. People just believe that it does.

Here's one journal article I picked up out of interest:
  • Corpus callosum damage in heavy marijuana use: Preliminary evidence from diffusion tensor tractography and tract-based spatial statistics - http://bit.ly/h179rX - Arnone et al.
It's simply preliminary evidence, and may not be for the reasons we might think, nor may it be actually evidence of causation, but there is definitely correlation between smoking marijuana excessively and damage in the corpus callosum, especially if you began at a young prepubscent or pubescent age. For those of you who have not taken any neuroscience-related courses, that is the part that connects the left and right hemispheres of the brain. If you want more details, take Psych 1XX3. My post is long enough already.

Oh. If you're wondering, I've never smoked weed or taken non-medicinal drugs before. I'm just posting like this to keep a neutral stance, even though my opinions may say otherwise.

EDIT 1: Incomplete sentence.
EDIT 2: Spelling mistake - "actualy" <- Really, Justin? You're dumb. GTFO the internet, noob.

Last edited by justinsftw : 02-10-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:10 PM   #28
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

If you're feeling down, I wouldn't suggest smoking week alone. Do it with friends. They'll keep you entertained. Otherwise, your mind has a tendency to go off a mile a minute and thinking about "deep"/life questions won't help with your mild bout of "depression."

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-10-2011 at 09:13 PM   #29
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
I have zero motivation when it comes to school work lately, I swear it always kicks in a couple of months into school. I feel like sleeping all day and staying in my room.

Help plzzzzz
This sounds more like a combination of SAD and lack of motivation because you don't really like what you're doing in school. The title and the content of your post don't really correlate.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:14 PM   #30
keish

Not that this is scientific evidence, but I also saw a documentary where studies showed that regular weed smoking has a high chance to cause psychosis in certain types of people (I don't remember specifically which type of chemical had to be present in their brain). Basically, everyone has one of three types of a chemical in their brain and if you have the one specific type and you smoke weed (particularly weed that has a higher level of THC) then you're at a really high risk for psychosis. And it's irreversible damage that might not emerge for years and years after you stop smoking. So you REALLY shouldn't start smoking as a 'cure' for anything without seeing a Dr first.

edit: also.. this was a documentary done by people who supported marijuana usage until they saw the trend of people developing psychotic problems and investigated it.. so don't assume it was just done to scare people or something dumb like that.

Last edited by keish : 02-10-2011 at 09:16 PM.