MacInsiders Logo

I'm depressed.

Old 02-10-2011 at 09:27 PM   #31
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I had* a friend who was depressed and kept going to weed, then she moved on to even worse things. Then she became addicted to drugs. Drugs are horrible if you're depressed. One thing that might help you feel better I think is to do some exercise. I always hated the gym, was way to self-conscious about going there. After I tried it I felt so much better/happier. I don't know how you feel about the gym, but it took me a year to make myself go. Try that, and do little bits of homework everyday. Set up a schedule and gives yourself breaks, watch a show you like but then force yourself to do homework.

Alvand, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:36 PM   #32
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I had* a friend who was depressed and kept going to weed, then she moved on to even worse things. Then she became addicted to drugs. Drugs are horrible if you're depressed. One thing that might help you feel better I think is to do some exercise. I always hated the gym, was way to self-conscious about going there. After I tried it I felt so much better/happier. I don't know how you feel about the gym, but it took me a year to make myself go. Try that, and do little bits of homework everyday. Set up a schedule and gives yourself breaks, watch a show you like but then force yourself to do homework.
Your friend was a weak willed individual... Your friend did that to herself, not weed.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Cintdrix likes this.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:49 PM   #33
jo87
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Your friend was a weak willed individual... Your friend did that to herself, not weed.

yeah she was weak but at the same time she was depressed. I assume its hard to think straight when you're depressed and want to kil yourself. I don't know part of me thinks drugs make people weak and a part of me thinks weak people let drugs get the best of them. Who knowws
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:50 PM   #34
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Its sad to see some of the posters talking about depression and other mood disorders as if they were character flaws.

To the OP: There have been times when I've had similar feelings. There are days when I just hate the world and can't bring myself to do much more than lay in my family room. Like many others have said, seek help. it is the best thing you can do. Don't listen to those who take the "pull yourself up by the boot strings" approach to this. Do not feel guilty for how you feel. But please seek help.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:54 PM   #35
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
To start off, I would recommend you set up a nice playlist of HIGH ENERGY music. None of that sad lyrics crap.

Then crank it up and dance in your own room by yourself.

Sounds stupid but try it.

Desda likes this.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:54 PM   #36
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Wow...so many sad people on here. Ya'll should listen to this.

Old 02-10-2011 at 10:00 PM   #37
jo87
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
To start off, I would recommend you set up a nice playlist of HIGH ENERGY music. None of that sad lyrics crap.

Then crank it up and dance in your own room by yourself.

Sounds stupid but try it.

Im pretty happy now
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:05 PM   #38
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I am not just depressed, I am suicidal ..

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Desda likes this.
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:08 PM   #39
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Freija knows what he's talking about.

But yeah, Rakim, just suck it up and do the stuff you gotta do.

edit/

@L'Etoile: OMGLETSBEFWENDSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:12 PM   #40
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by keish View Post
Not that this is scientific evidence, but I also saw a documentary where studies showed that regular weed smoking has a high chance to cause psychosis in certain types of people (I don't remember specifically which type of chemical had to be present in their brain). Basically, everyone has one of three types of a chemical in their brain and if you have the one specific type and you smoke weed (particularly weed that has a higher level of THC) then you're at a really high risk for psychosis. And it's irreversible damage that might not emerge for years and years after you stop smoking. So you REALLY shouldn't start smoking as a 'cure' for anything without seeing a Dr first.

edit: also.. this was a documentary done by people who supported marijuana usage until they saw the trend of people developing psychotic problems and investigated it.. so don't assume it was just done to scare people or something dumb like that.
My friend was totally "normal" but after smoking weed pretty consistently he developed schizophrenia and had to be institutionalized for a while. He was told it was because of the constant weed. But at the same time..a lot of my friends have smoked weed for years and they're fine. A lil blitzed lol, but there's no psycopathology or anything.

Old 02-10-2011 at 10:19 PM   #41
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times

For myself, the hardest part of my day is getting out of bed and starting my day. Im always occupied qith thoughts and things to do, and in the mornings I often find myself wanting to take a back seat and not getting into the swing of things. When I feel demotivated, I try to remember that when I'm on campus, I feel better about what I'm doing.

Your environment plays a big role in your mindset. Put yourself in the environments in which you excell in. Surround yourself with the people who influence you to be your true happy self.

I also believe that the mind is greatly affected by the state of the body. Treat yout body well- stretch in the morning, eat as healthy as you can, and exercise. You will be surprised by how well your mind will feel just after a couple days.

View your mental state as a rhythm. It's hard to break a rhythm, but once it is changed to a more uplifting beat, it is easy to adapt.

Now I must say, if you are looking for peer advice, you didnt offer too much info on your scenario. Like others said, CSD in the student centre basement will help you. But if you are looking for advice here, give us more b/g info.

A note on smoking weed: those familiar with the phrase 'set and setting' know that your blazing experience is effected by your set (your current mindset) and your setting (your environment). So if you are feeling sad and you blaze, those negative emotions will be stronger because it's already on your mind. And if you are high in an uncomfortable area (a crowded room, for example) you will feel more sketched out. Its for these reasons that you want to plan out any future sessions, so that you reduce the chance of a bad trip. This applies for frequent tokers as much as it does for first-timers. So, if you're always feeling depressed, dont blaze! There's a right time and place for it.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Last edited by Alvand : 02-10-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:23 PM   #42
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
I am not just depressed, I am suicidal ..
Careful. I hope you are not desensitizing people by joking around. When someone is in trouble and need help, they might get shrug off because people think they are just faking it.

Are you serious?
Old 02-10-2011 at 11:16 PM   #43
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Careful. I hope you are not desensitizing people by joking around. When someone is in trouble and need help, they might get shrug off because people think they are just faking it.

Are you serious?
I am serious ... I have already posted in a different threat that I attempted suicide a couple of times. I am not trolling anyone here.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 02-10-2011 at 11:31 PM   #44
keish

Liked: 9 Times

Never really understood the suicide thing myself. I've definitely been sad enough at points in my life where I thought about it but I always reason to myself that:
a) There are people living in a much worse situation then I am, and if they can deal with their lot then I have no excuse to not deal with mine and
b) I have a much greater chance at my life getting better if I'm still alive then if I'm dead.

Those two things pretty much always do it for me.
Old 02-10-2011 at 11:52 PM   #45
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times

I would recommend crying about it. It wont help your situation, but it will make you feel better