Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Out of a Slump ferreinm Misc 3 06-03-2008 08:30 PM

I'm in a slump

Old 11-16-2010 at 08:05 AM   #1
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

I'm in a slump
I just don't care this semester. I don't know whether it's because my classes aren't exactly what I wanted, but I seriously don't care. I blew by an essay deadline yesterday and have a midterm tomorrow, in the past that would have been catastrophic in my organized world, today I just don't care.

It's not depression, because it's not outside of school. My "life" to do lists are getting done and I'm fully engaged. I've got a month before exams, all are at the tail end of the exam period. I can turn this thing around and pull these grades up. One of my finals is 50%, the opportunity is huge.

Has anyone experienced this, where one semester was just sorta mediocre and your attitude went with it?
Thanks for your help, insight, comments - I appreciate it.
Old 11-16-2010 at 08:47 AM   #2
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

things will get better

smoke weed everyday
Old 11-16-2010 at 08:57 AM   #3
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
I just don't care this semester. I don't know whether it's because my classes aren't exactly what I wanted, but I seriously don't care. I blew by an essay deadline yesterday and have a midterm tomorrow, in the past that would have been catastrophic in my organized world, today I just don't care.

It's not depression, because it's not outside of school. My "life" to do lists are getting done and I'm fully engaged. I've got a month before exams, all are at the tail end of the exam period. I can turn this thing around and pull these grades up. One of my finals is 50%, the opportunity is huge.

Has anyone experienced this, where one semester was just sorta mediocre and your attitude went with it?
Thanks for your help, insight, comments - I appreciate it.
Yup, I sort of had that in second semester last year. I've always been super organized, ahead of reading schedules and on top of all my school work... and then I stopped caring. I studied for midterms the night before, wrote papers in a matter of hours and basically was a a complete waste of space. I still don't really know why or what happened because I was perfectly happy with my life. Weirdly enough my grades didn't drop but it wasn't a good feeling.

I don't know that there's really any "cure" for it... you just have to find other stuff that engages you and hope that it rubs off onto school. Volunteer, hang out with friends, get a hobby and find things to look forward to. Apprently winter blues starts to hit a lot of students around this time, so make sure you talk to someone if you think that's a problem.

If you need any other suggestions, let me know

jackiemac says thanks to Geek for this post.
Old 11-16-2010 at 09:04 AM   #4
keish

Liked: 9 Times

Honsetly.. this has been my attitude all through highschool and my (going on) 5th or 6th year here at Mac - yeah, I've actually lost count. It's not the end of the world by any means... just don't let yourself get caught up in it and waste as much time as I have, lol.

As for getting yourself motivated... if anyone has any tips I could definitely use some as well. I think the only reason I'm still at Mac finishing *any* degree (I don't even care what degree I get anymore) is because I've put 5/6 years of my life and around $25,000-$30,000 into this school... and I'm not leaving until I get something out of it!!!

Other then sweet times and a ton of good friends of course. That alone was probably worth the money... but I'll be damned if I don't use all my credits to complete some sort of degree!

Sad thing is, I'm failing two classes this semester and I JUST missed the drop deadline last friday because I wasn't paying attention to what week it was >_<... time to apply for special consideration and cross my fingers that the my faculty treats me kindly!
Old 11-16-2010 at 10:46 AM   #5
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

I feel you bro, I actually do.
Old 11-16-2010 at 10:48 AM   #6
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

This is happening to me right now, I just have to keep telling myself that if I do not actively engage myself in things (i.e. give a shit), there will be consequences. When that doesn't work, I play video games.

But I know EXACTLY what you mean. It happens to everyone because if you're in second year it's likely your first time ACTUALLY KNOWING WHAT TO DO IN UNIVERSITY, so you feel like you have a grip on everything, which also can lead to some kind of false sense of confidence. I started out this term pre-reading like crazy, being on top of everything weeks ahead, then when I realized my professors this term suck beyond the point of comprehension, and that the content itself is quite boring, I stopped going to class all together. I still do the work, I still study, but I honestly haven't been to a lecture in 3-4 weeks.

Old 11-16-2010 at 11:04 AM   #7
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
This is happening to me right now, I just have to keep telling myself that if I do not actively engage myself in things (i.e. give a shit), there will be consequences. When that doesn't work, I play video games.

But I know EXACTLY what you mean. It happens to everyone because if you're in second year it's likely your first time ACTUALLY KNOWING WHAT TO DO IN UNIVERSITY, so you feel like you have a grip on everything, which also can lead to some kind of false sense of confidence. I started out this term pre-reading like crazy, being on top of everything weeks ahead, then when I realized my professors this term suck beyond the point of comprehension, and that the content itself is quite boring, I stopped going to class all together. I still do the work, I still study, but I honestly haven't been to a lecture in 3-4 weeks.
Nothing wrong with that. I barely attended lectures after first year, and my average is still quite decent. Keeping on top of things is a lot easier when not wasting time with shitty lectures.
Old 11-16-2010 at 11:07 AM   #8
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
Nothing wrong with that. I barely attended lectures after first year, and my average is still quite decent. Keeping on top of things is a lot easier when not wasting time with shitty lectures.
Yeah! I go to lectures when I have professors that don't just read off the slides.

Old 11-16-2010 at 11:57 AM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Welcome to the past 3 years of my life.

Only you know the words that'll motivate you.

Here, for you:
http://thecherbear.deviantar t.com/#/d32n6sh

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

jackiemac says thanks to lawleypop for this post.
Old 11-16-2010 at 12:07 PM   #10
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
... you feel like you have a grip on everything, which also can lead to some kind of false sense of confidence. I started out this term pre-reading like crazy, being on top of everything weeks ahead...
That, exactly. It's heartening to know I'm not alone in this. Hopefully the midterm tomorrow will be at least mediocre and I'll be ok by the final. Thank you.
Old 11-16-2010 at 12:45 PM   #11
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

I started off this semester so well, 12's on all my midterms/assignments... but lately i dont give a ****. Ive missed a shit load of assignments and deferred a midterm.

:(
Old 11-16-2010 at 02:03 PM   #12
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

I feel the same way! I came into this semester ready to take on anything and do amazing in my courses, but now I just don't know whats going on anymore. I had to drop a course because I was doing so bad in it.

I'm actually not doing so well in most of my courses... and I know I should feel really bad but I don't! The sad part is I'm still trying to do well but its not producing good results. I'm in my third year... and its important to care but I find myself thinking about other less important things. I'm also a lot more distracted.

I think something is wrong with me.
Old 11-16-2010 at 02:50 PM   #13
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

I feel the same way.................. .................... >.>;
Old 11-16-2010 at 03:21 PM   #14
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I felt the same way last year, I think getting rid of classes I loathed (looks at Orgo) and being closer to graduating really help my outlook this year
Old 11-16-2010 at 04:47 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Bleh, this is how I feel 24/7, except its 10x more slumpy.