MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
psych 2ap3 textbook macbaby07 Academics 1 09-16-2011 03:19 PM

How important is the textbook in psych 2ap3

Old 12-11-2012 at 08:09 PM   #1
Euclidean

How important is the textbook in psych 2ap3
Does anyone amount of textbook qs on the midterms/exam. In psych 2b03 there were 8-10 qs, is it the same for psych 2ap3?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-11-2012 at 08:12 PM   #2
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

The textbook is very important. On each midterm/exam there will be 8-10 questions strictly from the textbook. The material won't be covered in class, so definitely buy it.
Old 12-11-2012 at 09:11 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Personally, I found that even if I read the textbook chapters, the questions focused on such random details that I wouldn't remember them anyways, so it wasn't worth my time to read the textbook.
Old 12-11-2012 at 09:36 PM   #4
Angoose
Elite Member

Yeah, Star is right. The questions were very tricky, but I still skim the chapters and hope things go well (hasn't really gone that well so far). For 20% of each test though, I would still buy the text since it's not that expensive.
Old 12-12-2012 at 12:21 AM   #5
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

Would you say that this course is harder than Psych 2B03 (personality)?
Old 12-12-2012 at 12:33 AM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

doesnt psych 2b03 give you 70/80 questions that will be on the exam beforehand? if so, 2b03 is easier
Old 12-12-2012 at 09:37 AM   #7
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

I'd say that 2AP3 was trickier for the midterms and exams. Majority of the questions focused on specific data from experiments and statistics such as the percentage of people with a certain disorder....in this age bracket.

2B03 was a bit better in that if you knew the theories well, you could answer the questions easily. Seemed a bit more applicable. Like, based on these characteristics, what would this theorist have to say?

Dr. Day is a phenomenal prof. But, his tests are a pain in the ass. Every question will have at least 1 of these types of answers: "More than one of the above", "Both A & C". It sucks. If you're not 100% sure, you're screwed.
Old 12-12-2012 at 12:12 PM   #8
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

I read the entire reading list in Psych 2AP3 and still came across questions I felt I hadn't seen before.

There's just too much information in the textbook, but I would definitely say to buy it anyway, otherwise you're basically throwing away 8-10 marks a test at least.
Old 12-12-2012 at 02:57 PM   #9
Angoose
Elite Member

Yeah without his test bank, his tests would be impossible. I'm in positive atm, but I'm pretty scared it'll be insanely difficult.
Old 12-12-2012 at 04:32 PM   #10
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

Psych 2B03 was easy, if you watch his modules beforehand and go through the practice questions on intropsych before each midterm, it's definitely 11-12able. Dr. Day in general is very resourceful and a good lecturer, so you should go with which course desc. sounds more interesting if you're trying to pick between the two
Old 12-12-2012 at 07:06 PM   #11
kimjsi

Liked: 5 Times

I just finished psych 2B03 and you can get 12 easily but if you haven't tried pretty much every single questions from the practice questions it is impossible
I agree with everyone else that his textbook questions ask for small detail that you wouldn't even care about, but those textbook questions aren't tricky at all
they're directly from the textbook (i think word by word) but it's difficult because you pretty much have to memorize little details as well (this year there was a question asking for the specific numbers that they found from a research)
I tried skimming through the textbook the day before the exam but it didn't work nicely
Dr. Day tells you on the first day that some people read more chapters than what was assigned because the book was so interesting, but i highly doubt that..

but other than the textbook, his lecture materials are actually enjoyable and u'll like his teaching style

im guessing it's gonna be the same for psych 2ap3
Old 12-16-2012 at 04:42 PM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

The breakdown of each course, at least when I took them, were essentially identical. 8-10 questions from the midterms would be textbook and 20% of the exam questions would be textbook questions.

I agree with Buszaj entirely. 2AP3 is much more difficult than 2B03, and I always get confused when people think they're the same or that it doesn't make a difference. 2B03 had barely any numbers, barely any 'studies' with results to know, barely any statistics about diseases. The textbook was an easy, enjoyable read. For 2B03, you could read about 75 pages of the textbook the night before and you'd be fine for the midterm. For 2AP3, reading 75 pages of statistics and studies and facts and percentages was much more annoying, took longer, and was way harder to retain.

Even without the textbook questions, the handbooks themselves demonstrate why 2B03 is easier. For 2B03 you could read most of the midterm material the day or two days before and get through it all and be fine. For 2AP3 you would have to start way earlier.

JamesScott says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.