MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inception - Time (listen and you can study better) Juve General Discussion 51 11-16-2010 10:31 PM
Inception any good? habinsle General Discussion 2 09-07-2010 11:38 AM

Inception.

Old 07-18-2010 at 09:05 PM   #1
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Inception.
Discuss.

Spoilers ahead. Chad, can we get spoiler tags now?

First, the ending. Highlight to read.

The most obvious question: what really happened in the end? Open to interpretation, or can we look for clues to tell us the real answer?

On one hand, we have the revelation of the children's faces, which I was pleasantly surprised to find out weren't demonic, especially since I had been holding my bladder for the latter 90 minutes of the movie and any kind of shock would have caused me to let it go. On the other hand, the children didn't seem to have aged (despite not being explicitly told how long Leo was gone for as far as I know) and I interpreted the top's spinning as indefinite despite the minor wobbling.

Thoughts?

Spoilers end here.

goodnews.inc says thanks to Entropy for this post.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 07-18-2010 at 09:15 PM   #2
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Too white; didn't read.

Old 07-18-2010 at 09:25 PM   #3
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

man this movie is absolutely incredible.
Old 07-18-2010 at 09:52 PM   #4
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Just saw this movie a few hours ago and man was it good. Best movie I've seen in a while. Also its probably one of very few movies I actually want to see multiple times just to take it all in.

*SPOILERS highlight to read*

The ending I thought he was still in a dreaming since the top never actually toppled over. It kept on spinning. He's still in Fishers dream but deep within it. I love these types of ending where its up to the viewers interpretation. One thing I find interesting while reading reviewer comments is about the wobbling of the top. Some believe it wobbles because he is infact in reality and its just about to fall over but on the other hand it could be wobbling because the plane he's having the dream in is having turbulence or something just like with the
van.

*END SPOILERS*

Old 07-18-2010 at 09:55 PM   #5
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

That movie was awesome. It made a van dropping into the water so epic.
Old 07-18-2010 at 10:04 PM   #6
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

****ING AWESOME MOVIE. It was an impulse decision to go see and I'm super glad that I did. Holy shit amazing.

SPOILER DISCUSSION BELOW, highlight to read:

If Cobb woke up in the plane together with Saito, it COULDN'T have been a dream. If time moves that much slower in each successive layer, Saito isn't going to miraculously go back to his normal age unless they've come back to where they're supposed to be.

In addition, I was hoping for more Michael Caine content, since I think he is super badass. Oh well, can't win 'em all haha.

/SPOILER DISCUSSION
Old 07-18-2010 at 10:08 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

From the spoilers, this movie sounds confusing!
Old 07-18-2010 at 10:21 PM   #8
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

The confusion is soooooooooo worth it though.
Old 07-18-2010 at 10:23 PM   #9
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
It does, but the movie is surprisingly easy to follow.
Old 07-18-2010 at 10:35 PM   #10
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
SPOILER DISCUSSION BELOW, highlight to read:

If Cobb woke up in the plane together with Saito, it COULDN'T have been a dream. If time moves that much slower in each successive layer, Saito isn't going to miraculously go back to his normal age unless they've come back to where they're supposed to be.

In addition, I was hoping for more Michael Caine content, since I think he is super badass. Oh well, can't win 'em all haha.

/SPOILER DISCUSSION
*Spoilers*

Saito could actually be his subconscious. Just like his wife wasappearing in his dreams.

/*Spoilers*
Old 07-18-2010 at 10:50 PM   #11
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

It really was awesome!

Spoilers
I agree, since it didn't stop spinning, I think he was still dreaming. Also, considering that the kids were still shown as little kids rather than grown up - it must have been a dream.
End spoilers
Old 07-19-2010 at 05:18 PM   #12
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
...You're doing it wrong. =\

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd
The ending I thought he was still in a dreaming since the top never actually toppled over. It kept on spinning. He's still in Fishers dream but deep within it.

Spoilers

So you think Cobb never woke up? Even the airplane scene at the end was a dream?

End spoilers.

X!Bilet says thanks to Entropy for this post.
Old 07-19-2010 at 05:42 PM   #13
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

*SPOILERS*
Personally I think he's still in a dream state layer. The whole airport scene and then going back to his house where the kids are wearing the same clothes as he imagines them. Makes me think its still a dream.
/*SPOILERS*
Old 07-19-2010 at 06:02 PM   #14
cellphone

Liked: 5 Times

*SPOILER*

I think that it was reality, just because everyone was there on the plane and he was able to see his children faces. The ending was supposed to be ambiguous, it was starting to topple but before we could see what happen's the movie ends. I WAS LIKE NOOOO

This movie was amazing. I love how it forces you to pay attention to the detail of the script and yet is not overly confusing and so worth it. After walking out of the theatre, life seemed soo meh compared to the dramaticness of the [email protected]!
Old 07-19-2010 at 09:51 PM   #15
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

So, basically the best movie I've seen in a while. Mr. Nolan is really showing off his talents these days.

Spoiler:

The ending is really interesting, and the points brought up in this thread lead me to believe that he was in fact still dreaming - such as the children not aging at all and wearing the same clothes. It's just confusing because, I thought the dream layer where Moll (sp?) was, was the 'last' layer in the subconscious, the limbo as they called it. So for him to 'wake up' again in limbo, find Saito and go back 'above' is confusing and it's hard to tell if he's dreaming or not at the end.

But really, awesome movie, couldn't have asked for more.