MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inception - Time (listen and you can study better) Juve General Discussion 51 11-16-2010 10:31 PM
Inception any good? habinsle General Discussion 2 09-07-2010 11:38 AM

Inception.

Old 07-29-2010 at 09:50 AM   #61
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I believe so yes, but its quite possibly open to interpretation.
Old 07-29-2010 at 10:02 AM   #62
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

So if the crumbling city wasn't "limbo" but was rather Cobb's dream, how did Fischer get there? How did he enter Cobb's dream before Cobb? Also, Fischer died in the 3rd level, which, according to movie, would automatically send him to "limbo, wouldn't it?

EDIT: Here's a post I found on another forum that I think explains the "limbo" stage and age-difference between Cobb and Saito quite well:

"Level 4 =/= Limbo.

Level 4 is the deepest level with the strongest time dilation. Limbo is a state of mind where you forget you are dreaming and are trapped in Level 4.

There are two ways into Limbo:

1) Die in your dream while under sedation (Saito).

2) Spend too much time in Level 4 and slowly forget yourself (Mal).

There are two ways into Level 4:

1) Enter a state of Limbo.

2) Go in manually from Level 3.

If you are in Level 4 and NOT in a state of Limbo, you can escape back to Level 3 by giving yourself a kick. This is how Ariadne escaped Level 4. She just jumped off the building.

But if you are in a state of Limbo, there are only two ways to escape Level 4 and the Limbo state:

1) Dual synchronized kicks. This is how Fisher was rescued. The defibrillator plus being thrown off the building.

2) Wait it out until the sedatives wear off. In Level 4, this will feel like many decades. And this brings us to your answer.

You don't grow old in Level 4 unless you are in a state of Limbo (because in a state of Limbo, you think it is real). Saito thought it was real and thus grew old because he was in a state of Limbo the entire 80 years or so. Cobb was in Level 4 just as long (a little longer actually), but Cobb knew it wasn't real for most of the time he was there searching for Saito. But at some point, perhaps 30 years later started to lose himself and entered a state of Limbo himself. So then he started to age. We know this because he thought the food was real, and he looked like he was in his 40's or 50's. It seemed all he remembered was the name "Saito" and forget everything else. When Saito sees Cobb and his gun and his totem, Saito snaps out of the Limbo state, as he remembered everything. And by vocalizing his regained memories, Cobb then remembers as well. They essentially rescued each other. That is why when the sedatives wore off and those two awoke on the plane, they were not drooling vegetables. Had Cobb not rescued Saito and simply jumped off the building with Araidne to escape Level 4, Saito would have awoken a drooling vegetable and would not have been able to make the phone call to get Cobb's criminal charges dropped. "

Last edited by Shmowen : 07-29-2010 at 10:58 AM.

AnnaWM, Deegs14, Marlowe, syan9184 like this.
Old 07-29-2010 at 12:00 PM   #63
erinterpol

Liked: 0 Times

amazing movie
Old 07-29-2010 at 01:01 PM   #64
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Yes this movie was outstanding. Totally going to buy it on blueray when it's out.

And yes.. I am working on adding spoiler tags now!

UPDATE: Testing out new spoiler tag below...

Spoiler: (Highlight the grey box to see the hidden message.)
In the end his wife is the one that he tested inception on first

Entropy says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 07-29-2010 at 02:21 PM   #66
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Has anyone watched both Primer and Inception? Any comparisons between the two? I've watched Primer, but not Inception (yet) - the only reason I bring this up, is that everyone seems confused over Inception...something characteristic of Primer-watching, haha

Old 07-29-2010 at 02:34 PM   #67
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Wow... the music slower. Another mind blown!
Old 07-29-2010 at 03:40 PM   #68
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Has anyone watched both Primer and Inception? Any comparisons between the two? I've watched Primer, but not Inception (yet) - the only reason I bring this up, is that everyone seems confused over Inception...something characteristic of Primer-watching, haha
I've seen both, and I can tell you right away that Primer is on a completely different level in terms of complexity. You can reasonably have a solid understanding of what happened in Inception after the first watch, even if you're confused about a few aspects.

It will take at least 2-3 watches of Primer to get to that point, lol.

Also, Huzaifa, I totally posted the same video last page
Old 07-29-2010 at 04:13 PM   #69
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

@chad: where's the Spoiler "button" ?!?! and the spoiler "box" tag is a much better implementation IMO
Old 07-29-2010 at 04:14 PM   #70
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 07-29-2010 at 05:22 PM   #71
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

^ oh man LOL
Old 07-29-2010 at 07:30 PM   #72
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Ah, of course!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O80Orl8r1JE&f eature=related
Old 07-29-2010 at 08:49 PM   #73
eSsBee

Liked: Liked 2 Times

omg the movie is fantasticcc!
Old 07-29-2010 at 10:35 PM   #74
Isabel

Liked: 3 Times

I LOVED this movie.

SPOILERS BELOW - highlight

I don't know about you guys, but when I watched it, the last scene with the wobbling spin top, EVERYONE in the audience let out an in sync groan/sigh when the movie just ended - no topple! Lol it was hilarious, everyone was holding their breath. But I personally think he's still dreaming. For one, don't you think it was important he pass through each of the dream states? I mean, Adriadne's (Ellen Page) eyes opened successively in each dream, from the snowy alps, to the hotel to the van in the water. Cobb skipped straight through from the 5th layer (which I'm assuming was his own dream, right? He wasn't still in the 4th layer, cause then how would he wash up on the sea again? But then maybe it was Saito's dream, because there were his guards (projections?)) to the wake state. Just seemed a bit off...

And someone mentioned the aging of the kids. I think they'd be older because even though time passes slower in the dream state, I got the feeling that a lot of time passed even in the wake state - maybe they were purposely vague about that. So yeah, I think the kids should have been older.

But Saito, he would be the same age when he woke up. If the anasthetic turns 5 'real' minutes into 10 years in the third level, the 4th (or 5th) level would be about as many needed to get Saito that old. So yeah, I guess very little time has passed in reality.

One thing that seemed off though is why was Saito so old while Cobb was still young?

SPOILERS END
Old 07-29-2010
Isabel
This message has been removed by a moderator. .