MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
inquiry 1SS3 ? kirsten..! Academics 2 06-16-2010 09:48 AM
Anyone In Social Science Inquiry 1ss3 C04? Sweetie321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-15-2009 03:32 PM

Is inquiry 1SS3 easy?

Old 01-06-2011 at 11:25 PM   #1
saraa09

Liked: 0 Times

Is inquiry 1SS3 easy?
hey!
so i need to choose one last course and i'm confused between communication studies 1A03 and inquiry. communication studies seems interesting but a lot of work. Inquiry i have no idea. ppl have mixed views about it. so i would just like to know which one is easier and has less work load cuz i want to keep my grades up..
Old 01-06-2011 at 11:48 PM   #2
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Inquiry has no midterm or final, it's just two essays and group participation marks.
Idk about Communication studies but INQUIRY 1SS3 most likely has an easier work loaddddd

saraa09 says thanks to xo.monica for this post.
Old 01-06-2011 at 11:48 PM   #3
pamlpc

took inquiry 1SS3 last term and we had an assignment due pretty much every week. it's quite a lot of work but you do learn how to write papers properly

saraa09 says thanks to pamlpc for this post.
Old 01-06-2011 at 11:51 PM   #4
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamlpc View Post
took inquiry 1SS3 last term and we had an assignment due pretty much every week. it's quite a lot of work but you do learn how to write papers properly
LOL assignments, really?!
wow, I guess they changed it
all we had is to do readings and just group discussions, =/

saraa09 says thanks to xo.monica for this post.
Old 01-07-2011 at 12:04 AM   #5
saraa09

isnt there just one or two big assignments in the whole term?
if there are assignments every week are they long essays or short ones?

thankyouu
Old 01-07-2011 at 12:30 AM   #6
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

It all depends on which prof you get because each Inquiry course has a different topic and it's up to the teacher to decide what assignments there are. If you're lucky, you'll get a good topic. When you look it up on the master timetable, it should have the topic beside each one

saraa09 says thanks to MacAttk for this post.
Old 01-07-2011 at 09:02 AM   #7
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

I personally found Communications to be ridiculously easy, I just finished it last term. Most of the concepts and stuff were really straightforward and self-explanatory, almost to the point you probably understood them before you took the course. There are a couple of journal entries (say an hour each), an opinion piece (a couple hours), a research/persuasive essay (takes a little more time), and a group presentation (not hard at all, basically regurgitating the week's lectures). This may be subject to change because a lot of people had issues with the way tutorials were being run, too much work/too little instruction, etc. but it should still be fairly simple. Point of reference, I never opened my books unless necessary to do a book-related assignment (I didn't even buy one of them), never studied, even for exams I only read over these "group notes" that a bunch of us collectively made, and found the exam really easy (all multiple choice, no dates and times, all concept based).

I will say though I was expecting more media studies kind of material, but it turned out to be almost "history of media studies" for the first half or so of the term. It was still kind of interesting, I guess. Oh, and no midterm.

saraa09 says thanks to Zimonada for this post.
Old 01-07-2011 at 06:14 PM   #8
meena101

Liked: 4 Times

inquiry is horrible if you get a bad prof. I had a horrible experience.

saraa09 says thanks to meena101 for this post.

Sayora likes this.
Old 01-11-2011 at 05:00 PM   #9
Sayora

Liked: 1 Time

No clue about Communication Studies, but when I took inquiry last semester had a terrible prof and it was more useless owrk than I wanted. If you know how to research and write a bibliography and essays/outlines then the course is pointless and really boring. Also boring if you're uninterested in the topic the prof chooses. If you get a good prof/subject though I could see how it could be fun?

saraa09 says thanks to Sayora for this post.
Old 01-22-2011 at 03:51 PM   #10
orozcon

Even though you are probably already in the course you chose to take, thought this info might be helpful.... I took communications studies last year. It was good, but only because I had an amazing prof. Alex Sevigny. He knew what he was talking about, seeing as communications was his field. There were a few assignments that needed to be done. Would be easy if you go in and talk to him about it. There's a presentation too in the tutorials.

Inquiry was a good course too, depending on the prof and topic. I had only a few assignments and a presentation. Group discussions for sure dominate this class but you learn so much and how to write good essays.

Either course is a good choice. I would go for Inquiry for the lighter course load.

saraa09 says thanks to orozcon for this post.