MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year electives help? Interest vs Practicality Auror.lah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-26-2011 12:03 AM
Selecting a Program - Interest vs Job Prospects jomabor Academics 35 05-30-2011 02:33 PM
Interest??? hellohello Financial Aid 1 12-28-2010 11:24 PM
Interest charged? Rich0591 Financial Aid 3 09-22-2010 09:48 AM
Being charged interest... in first year? AnythingReally First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 02-22-2010 04:58 PM

Interest in an app that will show you where you are, and where your next class is?

Old 08-31-2011 at 07:05 PM   #1
vitrify

Liked: 0 Times

Interest in an app that will show you where you are, and where your next class is?
I'll probably make it for Android phones, and maybe the iPhone too, depending on how much interest there is for something like this. Mostly targeted toward first years...
Old 08-31-2011 at 07:12 PM   #2
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

There's an app called "MacMap" that can track your current location within campus as well as a "Find Route" feature that shows how to get from one location to another. Not sure if that was part of your idea, maybe get in contact with the developers of that app and improve it with your feature? It's on the App store for iPhone, not sure about android marketplace though.

RememberTwce, vitrify all say thanks to ikantsepll for this post.

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 08-31-2011 at 07:42 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
There's an app called "MacMap" that can track your current location within campus as well as a "Find Route" feature that shows how to get from one location to another. Not sure if that was part of your idea, maybe get in contact with the developers of that app and improve it with your feature? It's on the App store for iPhone, not sure about android marketplace though.
Awh, us Android first years need it! :( Cause I'll be hauling around my iPod Touch?
Old 08-31-2011 at 07:45 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Not really. I just wrote my schedule out on a 2"x4" cardboard card and had no problem finding/remembering my classes for first year.

Maybe kiddies of today need it though (re:the google effect).

britb, J. Dorey, RememberTwce like this.
Old 08-31-2011 at 08:01 PM   #5
vitrify

Quote:
Thanks for the info! That saved me having to learn the language for iOS. I've only played with Android so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Awh, us Android first years need it! :( Cause I'll be hauling around my iPod Touch?
1 user? ALRIGHT!
No, seriously, I'll work on it tonight or tomorrow... probably done by tomorrow night, haha. It's a simple enough app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Not really. I just wrote my schedule out on a 2"x4" cardboard card and had no problem finding/remembering my classes for first year.

The point of the app isn't so much to tell you where your next class is, as much as it will work as a GPS with built-in locations that are the buildings, since first years probably won't know where "JHE" or "MCLD" is, just from the name.

Last edited by vitrify : 08-31-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2011 at 08:13 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

I second vitrify on that, I need a GPS sort of system to tell me where to go at least for the first week or so. I won't be the only one using it I'll spread the word.
Old 08-31-2011 at 08:16 PM   #7
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I agree with Ryan, this isn't necessary.

You'll learn all the major building locations and abbreviations within a few days. I had to carry around my schedule for the first few weeks because I could never remember what classes I had, but I always remembered where they were located once I knew what class I was going to.

Still, if you're gonna do it then good luck to you. I'm trying to think of something else that might be a more useful app for students but I can't of anything

Last edited by RememberTwce : 08-31-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2011 at 08:20 PM   #8
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Neat idea, but realize that you will probably get like 30 downloads on it and those people will only use it once, if it all. McMaster's campus is actually really small and after your first day or two, getting around is simple enough (we did make it to university, after all).

So go for it if you enjoy creating apps, but don't spend too much time/effort on it.
Old 08-31-2011 at 08:27 PM   #9
Diane0916

Liked: 1 Time

Macmap is pretty useful, if you prefer a hard copy of the school's map, you can get it from mills library's counter at ground floor.
Old 08-31-2011 at 08:34 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

The only thing that would be better would be if you could also create the layout of the actual buildings themselves with the room numbers. But again, this would only be useful for like a week in term 1 and term 2, and MAYBE in upper years if you managed to get placed in a random room in a building you've never been to.
Old 08-31-2011 at 08:35 PM   #11
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Maybe first years need an app to them them when it's naptime too.

britb, ikantsepll, L'Étoile like this.
Old 08-31-2011 at 10:01 PM   #12
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

Im all for this as well. It'll be useful when you have a meeting somewhere uve never been before. I'll download the android app on the first day. please keep us posted
Old 08-31-2011 at 10:29 PM   #13
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Yo can you implement a "nearest coffee" and "nearest washroom" feature? Might come in handy for people who haven't mapped them all out yet.
Old 09-01-2011 at 12:44 AM   #14
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

if you have a smart phone...you'd probably be able to access a picture of your schedule >_> and also a picture of the campus map.....
Old 09-01-2011 at 07:18 PM   #15
vitrify

Early build of app added to OP.

Edit: It turns out I can't edit OP, so the app is in this post.

APK: http://www.mediafire.com/?6e1jb62tm0yqctw

You'll need Internet acces(Wifi or 2g/3g/4g), and GPS enabled.

Since it's an early build, it doesn't snap the map to where you are, or where you select to go, so if you'll have to zoom into McMaster yourself. This version is a VERY early build, and I'm posting it only to show you guys what I've finished so far. User-friendliness will be improved before I release it on Market.

Last edited by vitrify : 09-01-2011 at 07:21 PM.