MacInsiders Logo
Old 10-08-2009 at 05:18 PM   #1
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Interestedi n Society --- Highly
So I have recently been talked into doing Engineering and Society. I hear that Management is often hated since it can be dry and boring... And frankly, econ 1B03 is a joke. It's absolutly disastrously simple and logical. I can't see myself doing that... I can however see myself in a communication position: The engineer that is the go between for society/the world in general.

So anyways:

I have Macro econ next semester and I'm looking to change it to some sort of society course. I know they are not required to get into society (not from first year anyways), but if there is a really easy one that I could kill off in first year, and not worry about in second year, that would be awesome!

Opinions/suggestions?
Old 10-08-2009 at 05:24 PM   #2
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

There's no second year society course that you could take right now, but I suggest taking something that you're actually interested in, so you can possibly get a minor in it!
Old 10-08-2009 at 05:46 PM   #3
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
So I have recently been talked into doing Engineering and Society. I hear that Management is often hated since it can be dry and boring... And frankly, econ 1B03 is a joke. It's absolutly disastrously simple and logical. I can't see myself doing that... I can however see myself in a communication position: The engineer that is the go between for society/the world in general.

So anyways:

I have Macro econ next semester and I'm looking to change it to some sort of society course. I know they are not required to get into society (not from first year anyways), but if there is a really easy one that I could kill off in first year, and not worry about in second year, that would be awesome!

Opinions/suggestions?
Not trying to be elitist, but being in Eng, lots of our courses are far harder than the econs are. From what I hear, they do NOT get much harder, you get increased workload, but thats about it. I would recommend asking people in later years of Eng Mgt, your TAs or A214 for more opinions before dropping it cold turkey. If you really don't like 1B03(it does get more interesting near the end of the course, and far more so for 1BB3, a lot better course imo), I would def drop 1BB3. Also, Eng Mgt can be dry and boring, but it is FAR EASIER than taking on the full eng load years 2-4, and my brother, as well as all his friends who have taken management agree on that. Its also something you can't do later on in your life, and its benefits are there, from what I understand. Just something to think on.
Old 10-08-2009 at 06:33 PM   #4
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

Just so you know, Econ 1B03 and Econ 1BB3 are not good representations of the management program.

As far as I know, in management, you take a lot of human resources, finances, and commerce courses. Alot of which involve making presentations and improving communications skills.

After taking Econ 1BB3, which I quite liked, I was set on doing management.

But after looking further into it, I decided to take society specifically because I wanted to continue taking Econ courses, rather than the commerce courses I would have been stuck with in management.
Old 10-08-2009 at 07:20 PM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I *LOVE* Society!!

Not only do you get to take a focus elective (something like "pop culture", and take any course you want that may relate to that, or work towards a minor - I'm doing theatre and film studies!!) but you also take tons of courses in sustainability, culture and technology, and preventative engineering.

It is a program that is highly beneficial to you developing as a person, a person who cares about our planet!!

Straight eng is really packed and hard, and most people I know in management are doing it for that little word on their piece of paper and really do not enjoy the added stress and projects.

Just do something you love!!!
Old 10-08-2009 at 10:36 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Is it BAD to have Management or Society on your diploma along side Engineering? Does it say to an employer that I'm any less of a person though? (Not that it would matter to me... I couldn't bear to do ONLY eng for 4 years). But the way I see it: Management is going to put me at the head of a company (or lead me there one day). At that level, I'll lose out on the opportunity to travel while I work (not totally, but I won't be travelling as much as that guy in the firm that is more spread out in terms of techincal ability, general knowledge, and communication abilities) .

And the one other thing that bugged me: Even a couple econ students told me: In Management, you take some of the HARDEST econ courses. I know that they can't compare to the hardest engineering courses some times, but........ I don't see myself being an engineer that worries about the financial situation all the time.

Society gets you communication skills just as well.

So that's a bit of a bummer that I can't take any society courses first year though :( OH wellllllll.
Old 10-09-2009 at 07:23 AM   #7
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Is it BAD to have Management or Society on your diploma along side Engineering? Does it say to an employer that I'm any less of a person though? (Not that it would matter to me... I couldn't bear to do ONLY eng for 4 years). But the way I see it: Management is going to put me at the head of a company (or lead me there one day). At that level, I'll lose out on the opportunity to travel while I work (not totally, but I won't be travelling as much as that guy in the firm that is more spread out in terms of techincal ability, general knowledge, and communication abilities) .

And the one other thing that bugged me: Even a couple econ students told me: In Management, you take some of the HARDEST econ courses. I know that they can't compare to the hardest engineering courses some times, but........ I don't see myself being an engineer that worries about the financial situation all the time.

Society gets you communication skills just as well.

So that's a bit of a bummer that I can't take any society courses first year though :( OH wellllllll.
It all depends on how you market it to the employer. IMO, Society and Management make you more well-rounded people with outside interests other than engineering (especially Society!). Society helps with public speaking and writing skills as well, making you a personable engineer, rather than an awkward guy sitting in a corner crunching numbers XD

Management *can* get you into upper management positions as opposed to engineering ones, but that is UP TO YOU! You can choose which hires you take, and which promotions you want!

A lot of it is up to you, and what you make of it.
Old 10-09-2009 at 01:15 PM   #8
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

I am in Chemical Engineering and International Studies IV. It is the best decision I could've made. You take a few required Eng&Society classes and also 12-18 units of focus electives. These can literally be ANY other courses, as long as they are approved by Anna in JHE A214.

Not only does it spread out your degree over 5 years, but it allows you the opportunity to become a more well-rounded engineer. I recently attended the 8th World Congress of Chemical Engineering and presents a poster on the environmental impact of the world and how chemical engineers have to play their part. It was the only poster on the topic.

By diversifying your degree with something such as envirosci classes or communications (which I am doing), it provides you with good icebreakers when talking to people in industry. If you wanted to know anything more, feel free to send me a message.