Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
The How To: Event Planning ferreinm Getting Involved 0 01-18-2009 09:14 PM
Event for Engineers Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-11-2008 01:30 AM
MCC Event! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-06-2007 10:12 PM
Event ka0tique General Discussion 12 01-29-2007 12:53 PM

InterFaith Dialogue Event: Campus for Christ and MSA

Faith In Focus II: Prophets Of God

Event: On Tuesday, Nov 17th at 6pm in HSC 1A1 the much anticipated sequel to last year's Christian-Muslim dialogue will take place. The theme: the Prophets of God. Who were they? What was their true message? How does it impact us?

Speakers:
- Nazir Khan (MSA)
- Bahy Mehany(C4C)

Come join the Muslim Students' Association and Campus-for-Christ in learning about our faiths in a friendly and welcoming environment!

Facebook event page.

Videlle, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Published by
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-11-2009 at 01:07 AM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Awesome! I'll have a midterm the next day, but I'm still coming

Old 11-11-2009 at 10:04 AM   #3
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
I've been weary of these kind of events, ever since the one I went to a few years back had a terrible speaker. (And when you're dealing with matters like "You're going to hell" it can really put you off)

Old 11-11-2009 at 10:09 AM   #4
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I've been weary of these kind of events, ever since the one I went to a few years back had a terrible speaker. (And when you're dealing with matters like "You're going to hell" it can really put you off)
I went to the "Does God Exist?" one a couple of years ago, and it was interesting, but it got really heated as soon as it opened up for questions.

I generally avoid large groups of religious people these days.

Old 11-11-2009 at 12:44 PM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I went to the "Does God Exist?" one a couple of years ago, and it was interesting, but it got really heated as soon as it opened up for questions.

I generally tend to avoid large groups of religious and non-religious people these days.

Last edited by Mahratta : 11-11-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Old 11-11-2009 at 12:53 PM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I generally tend to avoid large groups of religious and non-religious people these days.
lol, so you just avoid large groups? I know people who are like that too. :p

Old 11-11-2009 at 01:00 PM   #7
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
lol, so you just avoid large groups? I know people who are like that too. :p
I'm not a big fan of large groups. They're a bit too...large.

Old 11-11-2009 at 03:42 PM   #8
EngLufLuf

Liked: Liked 2 Times
is it going to be like a discussion or just two speakers speaking?

Old 11-11-2009 at 05:03 PM   #9
funkdmonkey

Liked: 27 Times
I'll go and ask them if God can create a rock he cannot lift.

Old 11-11-2009 at 05:12 PM   #10
Videlle
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times
Hey guys!

I went to this event last year (the first faith in focus) and I have to say I was VERY impressed. This is a dialogue - there is no fighting, no putting each other down, no condemnation.
And the speakers were absolutely awesome! In fact, they were both students! So they could really relate to us and spoke to us at the same level.

I know I'm definately going to try to make it out again! I've been hoping they'll do another event like this since they had the first last year.
Can't wait

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Videlle for this post.

Old 11-12-2009 at 12:31 AM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:

These types of events are always interesting...even 'religious veterans' walk out of there having learned a lot of stuff. It's great whether you're a devout Christian, Muslim, Agnostic or even a curious Atheist.

The problem is (and this was I believe 5 years back, when I had attended this event) a bad speaker can really ruin the experience...even moreso than bad audience members.

Specifically at that time, the Christian speaker was basically condemning every single person in the audience (which is a real turn off at an event which is supposed to bridge gaps/lessen hate between Christianity and Islam by focusing on the common ground).

For instance, the Christian speaker declared something about a biblical devotion to Jesus Christ...an Islamic student then asked "Does the bible say anything about people who never get the chance to even learn about Jesus?" (and he was refering to say, infants who pass away, or some sort of native tribes who never come in contact with Christianity...his point was, surely such people cannot be damned for 'never having had a chance')

The Christian speaker then said "well, everyone in this room has had the opportunity to learn about Jesus. So you'd all better take this message to heart, for your own good."

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdmonkey View Post
I'll go and ask them if God can create a rock he cannot lift.
Ironically, a mathematician can probably answer this better than a religious theist. :p

From a strictly axiomatic perspective, namely, assuming God exists and 'can do everything' then the answer is simply:

"Can God microwave a burrito so hot that even He cannot eat it?"

Yes...and then He'd eat it.

This is because the statement "God can (whatever)" follows from the axiom that God can do everything. But then, the statement "God can eat something which He cannot eat" also follows from that axiom...it's not as much of a contradiction as one might think.

The contradiction comes in when one tries to use 'human perception' and then goes "Wait a minute...that statement doesn't make sense."

But sure enough, there it is...on a purely mathematical level, with no interpretation, it makes sense.

Of course when you abstractify things, you only 'pretend' things make sense. Ultimately, if we resort to interpreting the answer with 'human logic' then we must also interpret the question... your question is an example of Russell's Paradox, and so is not even a well-formed question.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_paradox)

"Can God can create a rock he cannot lift?"

Yes...and then He'd lift it.

Last edited by Mowicz : 11-12-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Old 11-12-2009 at 10:44 AM   #12
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
These types of events are always interesting...even 'religious veterans' walk out of there having learned a lot of stuff. It's great whether you're a devout Christian, Muslim, Agnostic or even a curious Atheist.

The problem is (and this was I believe 5 years back, when I had attended this event) a bad speaker can really ruin the experience...even moreso than bad audience members.

Well but you can't use one example and then guilty by association every other such initiative/conference. A collaborative event like this is a step in the right direction; it should be much better in theory then an event by a single school of thought!

You as a maths guy should know better then this!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 11-12-2009 at 10:54 AM   #13
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Well but you can't use one example and then guilty by association every other such initiative/conference. A collaborative event like this is a step in the right direction; it should be much better in theory then an event by a single school of thought!

You as a maths guy should know better then this!
You know what they say about first impressions?

Life's a ***** like that. xD

And actually, given the existential nature of mathematics, "There exists a bad speaker." My mathematical background is more of a reason to take this single example as a counter-example and run with it.

I'm not a bloody statistician, I do the reeeeal math. xD

Last edited by Mowicz : 11-12-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Old 11-12-2009 at 12:36 PM   #14
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:

I'm not a bloody statistician, I do the reeeeal math. xD
Lol yeah Just realized that; I'm taking Econ stats this year so confidence intervals and estimates etc are becoming part of my regular lingo

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search