MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
International Women's Day lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-08-2010 07:24 AM
Becoming International Student Infinity General Discussion 2 11-19-2009 11:12 PM
International Exchanges samantha__ Academics 1 10-23-2008 11:05 PM
Co-op for international student? mikefung Academics 1 06-06-2008 10:51 PM

international textbooks

Old 09-04-2010 at 09:05 PM   #1
pinkpiggydoe

Liked: 14 Times

international textbooks
Hey, just wondering if international versions of textbooks are worth purchasing.. the descriptions say they're only a little different from US version.. but I would like to get some opinions on this.. they are way less expensive that i know.. but should I take the gamble and get an international version vs. the US version?

thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2010 at 10:13 PM   #2
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Wondering this too...is it just the cover thats different?
Old 09-04-2010 at 10:28 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Yeah, I've both 2 international textbooks so far (2di4 and 2fh3) and both had the exact same material. Usually the seller will state if the content is identical. Only difference is software, different ISBN, and different front cover. Sometimes paper quality is not that great either.. however, most of the time you will save ~100$ per book
Old 09-05-2010 at 12:27 AM   #4
paulelastic

Liked: 2 Times

Content-wise, international Edition of textbooks contain exactly the same material as the normal textbooks. (as long as they're the same edition etc.) In some cases, there are differences, but they are negligible.

The legal status however is a gray area.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/21/us...-overseas.html

There is a stipulation that you cannot sell International Editions in the U.S. or Canada. However, a U.S. Supreme Court decision a few years ago basically ruled that that stipulation is unenforceable. I'm not sure what the legal status of international editions is in this country.
http://www.associatedcontent .com/a...l.html ?cat=3
Old 09-05-2010 at 05:41 AM   #5
ahmedsu

Liked: Liked 3 Times

all my textbooks in my second year were international edition textbooks and they were the exact same, and some sellers even provided solution manuals which you dont get a hand on to often.

the main differences between the textbook you would purchase at titles and an international edition textbook are:
- intl edition is always softcover, pages my be different and it might be black and white
- CONTENT IS THE EXACT SAME BUT MAKESURE TO READ THE SELLERS DESCRIPTION OF THE BOOK
- INTL IS WAYY CHEAPER
Old 09-05-2010 at 10:28 AM   #6
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

I just ordered one on ebay and the seller stated that the content is the same, however the pictures may be black and white, and the size of the textbook may differ. I contacted him and asked if page numbers and question numbers all matched up with the US versions and he said yes... its still on its way in the mail so we'll see

EDIT: with this one I'll be saving $135
Old 09-05-2010 at 10:55 AM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
I just ordered one on ebay and the seller stated that the content is the same, however the pictures may be black and white, and the size of the textbook may differ. I contacted him and asked if page numbers and question numbers all matched up with the US versions and he said yes... its still on its way in the mail so we'll see

EDIT: with this one I'll be saving $135
Yeah, first thing make sure to compare with someone who has the US edition. If the seller did lie to you, contact eBay/the seller and get a refund.
Old 09-05-2010 at 05:08 PM   #8
chengtc

Liked: 0 Times

Hey guys,
here are just some ways I have used to save 1000s of dollars on textbooks/course material during university (I just graduated):

-abebooks.com (highly recommended; I saved at least 100 bucks on one hardcover book by buying a softcover version for about $25 available in asia..mostly soft cover versus hardcover @ Titles, but content-wise, I haven't found one that's different from required version for a course **note: iif it's for 1st term, you may still have time, but try to order books 1-2weeks in advance so you'll get them just when school term begins. So for 2nd term, I would order the required text anytime throughout first term to get in before xmas)

-bookfinder4u.com
-share textbooks with friends (and lecture notes/crib sheet/solutions manual of course)
-Mac's bookswap site
-borrow the text from library and just renew
-use reserved text from library if you just need to do some short reading or book is needed for reference

Hope these tips help!

-Chris