MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: Is a MacPass worth buying?
YESSS 6 85.71%
nah 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intro to Politics 1G06 Goce 1st Year Course Reviews 8 06-22-2015 11:01 AM
Intro aznsensation Introduce Yourself 7 06-01-2011 03:50 PM

Intro! :) and a question

Old 07-07-2011 at 12:57 PM   #1
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

Intro! :) and a question
Heyy! I'm gonna be in Mac this Sept for 1st year Engineering Co-op!
Pretty excited to be finally out of the house and joining the Mac community!

Just a question... is the MacPass really worth buying for WW? Because I asked a friend and he said he didn't really go to the events (I'll probably check out a few, but some things, like concerts, aren't really my thing). And it's a $100, which is not a problem, but uni is expensive and I wanna try and cut costs as much as possible. Also, I'm gonna be pretty serious about school, so wouldn't a whole week for yourself be a good chance to get ahead and read some of the material in the textbooks?

I checked the site and read some forums, and it seemed really informative and fun, but is it? Right now, my only incentives for buying it are the free stuff and the fear that I'll be missing out on useful info.

So once again, excited about coming this Fall, and I intend to get pretty involved in the Mac community, but is WW and buying a MacPass worth it? Thanks in advance to all those who respond!
Old 07-07-2011 at 02:52 PM   #2
ricechrispy

oops...just realized i wasn't supposed to ask a question here! ma bad!
Old 07-07-2011 at 03:10 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Welcome week starts before school starts, so you won't be able to get "ahead", plus there's a large chance that everything during the first month or so is going to be review (unless you went to a terrible high school).

You're only a first year undergrad once.

ricechrispy says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-07-2011 at 03:28 PM   #4
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

you should definitely get a macpass and go to as many events as you can! its a great experience and one of the best weeks of your first year, you might as well chill and meet new people before you have to start doing work. going to welcome week will introduce you to new people and the things mac has to offer, if you want to get involved then id say the first place to start is welcome week where youll learn about clubs and the inter residence council and all the cool things like that ! youll only have one first year welcome week in university, you might as well go
.. and the free stuff is a plus

ricechrispy says thanks to kirsten..! for this post.
Old 07-09-2011 at 08:00 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Welcome to MI! We have lots of articles in the ADVICE AND TIPS section that talk about whether the macpass is worth buying.. be sure to check them out!

ricechrispy says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 07-09-2011 at 08:19 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I bought the MacPass and I thought it was worth it, but really, Welcome week is what you make out of it! So whether or not you buy the MacPass, I suggest you make it to as many events as possible! The WW schedule isn't out yet but I'm sure we'll post it up here once it is and you can check which events interest you and attend those.
For a bit more about the MacPass, check out these threads (they're a bit older but they'll give you a nice overview):
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...hlight=macpass

ricechrispy says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-09-2011 at 10:09 PM   #7
ricechrispy

well... i was checking some of these forums out, and i saw a lot of people against it actually...
like this guy:

"umm...soo...the macpass was a waste of 125$. welcome week was wonderful but my roommate got to do everything that "required a macpass" and he didnt even have one. the only time you needed one was to get "free food" (which it was not) and the alexisonfire concert (which was wack apparently ..i dunno i dont like loud screaming in my ear so i didnt go)
to all first years next year just walk around like you do have a macpass no ones gonna notice :|"

i know it's a once-in-a-lifetime chance, but the free events seem appealing enough for me :/
Old 07-18-2011 at 06:32 PM   #8
AYates

Liked: 0 Times

Hey I am a second year engineering student (going into mechatronics) and personally I have never once thought that getting the macpass was a waste of money or a bad idea. Participating in as many things as i felt comfortable doing during welcome week was probably one of my best decisions I made. I got to know many of the redsuits(who are awesome) as well as a lot of friends, many of which were in engineering and helped out with my academics for the year through studying with one another. Oh ya and i had a ton of fun