MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
REQUEST for script that logs into Avenue without popup. ikantsepll Academics 12 09-09-2012 10:50 PM

Intrusive Popup Ads - Corrected

Hi Insiders,

Recently one of our third-party ad networks began running popup advertisements (specifically 'pop unders') that appeared when you browsed threads in our forums. This was not sanctioned by us, and they did not have our permission to load these annoying and intrusive popups. The popunders were appearing only when their regular display ads were in rotation. Once their banner loaded on the site, their ad code also opened the pop-under. These pop-unders cause a horrible user experience when browsing the website and we hate them as much as you do.

All banner ads from this provider have now been removed from the site. If you are still experiencing popups or popunders opening as you browse MacInsiders please notify us immediately at [email protected] om so we can track down the source of the popup and have the code removed.

Sorry for the inconvenience if you have seen popup ads on the site.

alyssarr, ashleighp, Brendan, Commie42, GCSM, jim1, Kudos, lgdynasty, Ownaginatios all say thanks to Chad for this post.

alyssarr, Commie42, jim1 like this.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 03-04-2013 at 03:28 PM   #2
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Geography & Earth Sciences
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 126 Times
Thank you so much - I was ready to stop using MI because they were so incredibly annoying.

Chad says thanks to ashleighp for this post.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 03-04-2013 at 04:14 PM   #3
ZSimon
Elite Member
Program: Commerce
Year: First

Liked: 311 Times
Whoa WTF. It just happened to me asking me to download some software. (On a phone atm too!)
Old 03-04-2013 at 04:17 PM   #4
ZSimon
Elite Member
Program: Commerce
Year: First

Liked: 311 Times
http://lp.bigfarm.goodgamest udios....d=15&cid=26226

Particular link / popup above

Old 03-04-2013 at 05:36 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1,731 Times
Again, sorry about the popups. They were coming from an adnetwork called "CPMfun". Some users pointed out a couple more pages that the code was still on, and there were still some parts of the homepage loading their ad network. These have now been removed.

I believe all traces of the code coming from third-party advertiser CPMfun are now gone. Is anyone still getting the popups? They should have stopped now. Refresh the site a few times and double check. If you still see them when you click links, try clearing your browser cache and refreshing.

I haven't been able to recreate the problem now as of 6:30pm EST.

smarties13 likes this.
Old 03-04-2013 at 08:21 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
As an adblock user, I find this cute...

Anyways, good guy chad, actually taking his member's feedback and stuff!

Chad says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 03-05-2013 at 04:02 PM   #7
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Geography & Earth Sciences
Year: Fourth

Liked: 126 Times
As someone who likes making sure that the sites I enjoy are supported by ad revenue rather than pay-for-service, I won't use adblock.

Chad says thanks to ashleighp for this post.
Old 03-05-2013 at 04:16 PM   #8
griffia
Year: Second

Liked: 0 Times
Thanks that was really annoying me!
Old 03-05-2013 at 05:08 PM   #9
Vessi
Tiny
Program: Social Psychology

Liked: 44 Times
I just got one right after I finished reading this post on the homepage. I closed it so I don't have the link to it. The next time it pops up I'll be sure to screenshot or get its link.
Old 03-06-2013 at 11:20 PM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessi View Post
I just got one right after I finished reading this post on the homepage. I closed it so I don't have the link to it. The next time it pops up I'll be sure to screenshot or get its link.
Thanks. So far I haven't seen any popunders since removing CPMfun ads. Could be a cached page in your browser. Let me know if you see it again. Thanks!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search