MacInsiders Logo
Old 06-12-2015 at 04:04 PM   #1
arjunbhaga

Liked: 0 Times

Invigilating
Just wondering if anybody knows how to search for invigilation postings for McMaster? Do summer courses require inviglating? I checked on OscarPlus, but wasn't sure if I dod so correctly :/
Old 06-12-2015 at 04:19 PM   #2
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

I remember seeing them on oscarplus like in september so i would assume invigilators are kept year round? It's also usually a TA of that course that would invigilate
Old 06-12-2015 at 04:35 PM   #3
danix450

Liked: 2 Times

its mostly a TA duty
Old 06-12-2015 at 07:47 PM   #4
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

Not to mention really poorly paid...
Old 06-12-2015 at 08:44 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
Not to mention really poorly paid...
When I did it as a TA, I got paid the same rate as when I was actually TAing, plus paid for 1 hour before the exam to account for orientation/instructions and set-up. I don't think I got paid poorly as a TA, and invigilating was a lot easier and on a volunteer basis (not all TAs were required to invigilate, since they had more TAs than were needed to cover all of the rooms).
So, if you do it as a TA, I think it's a pretty good deal, even if it's required as part of your TA contract.
Old 06-13-2015 at 10:05 AM   #6
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
When I did it as a TA, I got paid the same rate as when I was actually TAing, plus paid for 1 hour before the exam to account for orientation/instructions and set-up. I don't think I got paid poorly as a TA, and invigilating was a lot easier and on a volunteer basis (not all TAs were required to invigilate, since they had more TAs than were needed to cover all of the rooms).
So, if you do it as a TA, I think it's a pretty good deal, even if it's required as part of your TA contract.
They're asking about being hired purely as an invigilator... While TAing it provides us with the same hourly rate, so no complaints! I was hired to invigilate exams separately and the pay was minimum wage, definitely significantly lower than any other university. I have spoken with others that have presided for years and they said its one of/the lowest paying in Ontario. (cannot confirm/nor deny)
Old 06-13-2015 at 11:03 PM   #7
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Getting paid minimum wage to invigilate is not really worth the hassle, low flow of cash too, might as well work at McD's and you will get more money. It is worth it for TA's because we are being paid 23.50 per hour as the McMaster standard for undergrad TA's pay says.