MacInsiders Logo
Old 10-04-2011 at 04:06 PM   #1
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

iPhone 4S
Opinion? I think its pretty awesome in spite of retaining the design on iPhone 4.

DMe3 likes this.
Old 10-04-2011 at 04:10 PM   #2
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
Opinion? I think its pretty awesome in spite of retaining the design on iPhone 4.
I wasn't expecting a big update until next year so I was happy with what they announced. It's cool but not a big improvement, just like the 3GS was after the 3G.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 10-04-2011 at 04:23 PM   #3
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

What's wrong with the design of the iPhone 4? If its not broken, don't fix it.

The iPhone 4 design is gorgeous, glass on the front and back, it just looks amazing. Hold a Galaxy S II or a Blackberry Bold in one hand, and an iPhone 4 in the other, you'll immediately notice the iPhone is much heavier and feels of much higher quality than the cheap plastics put into the other phones.
Old 10-04-2011 at 04:25 PM   #4
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

I cant ****ing stand the squared off iPhone 4. It is so uncomfortable. I just wanted that changed :(

Allan likes this.
Old 10-04-2011 at 04:26 PM   #5
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Terribly underwhelming.

It's fun seeing the disappointed faces of Apple fan boys and cell phone junkies though.

Old 10-04-2011 at 04:28 PM   #6
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
What's wrong with the design of the iPhone 4? If its not broken, don't fix it.

The iPhone 4 design is gorgeous, glass on the front and back, it just looks amazing. Hold a Galaxy S II or a Blackberry Bold in one hand, and an iPhone 4 in the other, you'll immediately notice the iPhone is much heavier and feels of much higher quality than the cheap plastics put into the other phones.
The issue is with the small screen and the blockiness of the device. Take a look at the HTC Sensation, the device needs curvature in order to feel natural in ones hand. This is bad for their stock, with markets smothered in pessimism and consumer spending down across the board. We will likely see stagnent growth in the stock. I honestly don't understand why they waited 15 months for this.

Allan likes this.
Old 10-04-2011 at 04:40 PM   #7
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
The issue is with the small screen and the blockiness of the device. Take a look at the HTC Sensation, the device needs curvature in order to feel natural in ones hand. This is bad for their stock, with markets smothered in pessimism and consumer spending down across the board. We will likely see stagnent growth in the stock. I honestly don't understand why they waited 15 months for this.
They was a three month delay as there was a delay in getting the special light sensors for 4S' camera.
Old 10-04-2011 at 05:30 PM   #8
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Very disappointing. I don't understand why Apple is so afraid to change the look of the iPhone and iOS after all these years. Now I am forced to buy an Android phone with larger screens and faster speeds.

Does anyone know how much RAM the iPhone 4S has?
Old 10-04-2011 at 05:48 PM   #9
zango
Elite Member

How did they not change the look after all these years? There's a significant difference in the look of the iPhone 2G->3G->4

The device feels fine in my hands, not all phones have curves everywhere. And what are you going to be doing that 3.5 inches is not big enough, the extra half inch I doubt will provide you with much more usability.

If you don't like the design, then why not wait a couple weeks, the Nexus Prime will be announced, looks pretty good.

Also, they didn't say how much ram is inside, but its either 512 mb (unchanged from iPhone 4) or bumped to 1 gb tops.
Old 10-04-2011 at 05:50 PM   #10
thatdudeukno

gayyyyy my iPhone 4 is just fine.
Old 10-04-2011 at 06:09 PM   #11
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Same design as iPhone 4 (Including the rather small screen and square shape), no support for 1700/AWS frequency

I really need a new phone, but this was a horribly disappointing event. I'm hoping Google's event next week produces something far cooler.

Allan, jon.john23, Krusenik like this.
Old 10-04-2011 at 06:10 PM   #12
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
How did they not change the look after all these years? There's a significant difference in the look of the iPhone 2G->3G->4

The device feels fine in my hands, not all phones have curves everywhere. And what are you going to be doing that 3.5 inches is not big enough, the extra half inch I doubt will provide you with much more usability.

If you don't like the design, then why not wait a couple weeks, the Nexus Prime will be announced, looks pretty good.

Also, they didn't say how much ram is inside, but its either 512 mb (unchanged from iPhone 4) or bumped to 1 gb tops.
In my opinion compared to other phone manufacturers, Apple has not made significant design changes to their phones. I just wish they would be a bit more daring.

Screen size is a personal choice, but the market is definitely shifting towards larger screens. It makes viewing media, browsing and GPS alot better. Also, the 4.5" phones aren't as large as people think, since Apple wastes alot of space with the top and bottom 'bars'.

Personally, I have issues with all the phones on the market right now. It seems no manufacturer can get it right. Maybe I'm just too picky...
Old 10-04-2011 at 06:24 PM   #13
xFLY

Liked: 13 Times

Upgraded from 512mb in the iPhone 4 to 1GB in the iPhone 4S...

Old 10-04-2011 at 06:31 PM   #14
zango
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFLY View Post
Upgraded from 512mb in the iPhone 4 to 1GB in the iPhone 4S...
How do you know this?
Old 10-04-2011 at 06:45 PM   #15
JonSnow

Liked: 13 Times

fail on apples part.

Fans water a bigger screen... didn't happen.
Fans want flash... never will happen.
iPhone 5... didn't' happen.

Its a good phone... but the SGSII is still kicks ass. Even the Google Nexus S which was released last year is still a top contender.

This is a ploy just to milk its fans of money. Who ever buys this phone thinking its all that... is a complete idoit. Stick with iPhone 4 or some android phone or BB. iPhone 4s is stupid so save your money.

Afzal, Allan, syan9184 like this.