Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 85%
Thumbs up ISCI 1A24 Integrated Science I

Integrated Science is a new program at McMaster designed to encourage the research sciences early among entering undergraduates. The course content encompasses a full year of biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, and a half year of scientific literacy and earth sciences. This review is mainly intended for high school students interested in ISCI 1A24 and others in the McMaster community interested in learning more about the program.

The course aims to:
-provide you with a wide-ranging background of core concepts in the areas of mathematics,
physics, chemistry, life sciences, earth sciences, and scientific literacy, appropriate to the
continuation of study in those areas in second level courses;
-illustrate the interconnectedness of the scientific disciplines, drawing on examples from topics of
current public interest;
-equip you with a wide range of scientific, problem-solving, critical thinking, and collaborative
skills;
-nurture a creative, student-oriented, distinctive learning environment in which you can begin to
develop your academic identities, scientific interests, and research skills within our community
of students, staff, and faculty.

The course review can be found at http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/isc..._2009-2010.pdf

The Course Breakdown is:
40% Research Projects
25% Continuous Assignments, Labs, and Tutorials
35% Midterms, Synoptic Exams and Final Exams

Learn more about the course and program at http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/isci/
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for ISCI 1A24 Integrated Science I!

Old 06-17-2011 at 12:58 AM   #2
Sushiman

Liked: 0 Times
Isci 1a24
I have taken this course last year. I have found the course contents highly interesting. The first year projects were: "Mission to Mars", "Drug, Doses, and Biodistribution", "Sustainable Energy" and "Cancer". The projects were designed to teach students about issues in the 21st century. These projects enable students to develop upon fundamental skills required for an actual research. It involved a lot of group work, and PBL

I would recommend this course/program for those who are interested in multiple aspects of science to solve modern problems. In terms of course workload, it is very demanding. However, once you complete first year, you will have strong background in science. Starting second year, we get to "concentrate" on a specific discipline. E.g. "Biochemistry, and Biomedical science", "Chemical Biology", etc.

Although it was quite a bit of work, I definitely believe that this program is rewarding. When I go to other science or social science classes outside of iSci, everything became really easy to me.

Last edited by Sushiman : 06-17-2011 at 01:02 AM.

missscarlett says thanks to Sushiman for this post.
Old 07-07-2011
hydera2
This message has been removed by a moderator. .

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search