MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Payment Issue CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 10-10-2010 07:01 PM
Schedule Issue Podder First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-14-2010 01:47 PM
Help with course issue jordanrogers Academics 3 06-11-2010 02:03 PM
TSH Locker Issue Phil General Discussion 3 09-09-2009 11:00 AM

Issue failed grades that I would like to get removed

Old 07-30-2010 at 07:07 PM   #16
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
My dad didn't take university seriously AT ALL. He & his best friend skipped school regularly to play sports, go on random game shows, drink, etc etc. He says he has no idea how he even managed to graduate. He now has a great job, making a comfortable salary, and he's happy. He doesn't regret anything he did in university, and had a great time and tons of memories. His philosophy is that you shouldn't work so hard to get somewhere that you forget why you wanted to get there in the first place--you should enjoy getting there.
I'm pretty sure that doesn't work this day in age. When your dad was in university (guessing late 70s/early 80s), just having a high school degree was pretty good.
Old 07-30-2010 at 07:38 PM   #17
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I'm pretty sure that doesn't work this day in age. When your dad was in university (guessing late 70s/early 80s), just having a high school degree was pretty good.
Nope, the exact education he got then could still be used today to get him the same job. BA in geography/minor in social science, time off to get some money (he couldn't afford a 4-year degree and had zero interest in it anyways), teacher's college, and while teaching he got a Masters in education to make up for not having a 4-year degree, so that he could reach the top pay level. There is more than one way of going about things Although times have changed, and university degrees are necessary for way more jobs than they used to be, there are still a ton of different paths you can take and ways to make up for earlier 'failures'.

Also, random fact, in Italy you don't need a university education at all to become an elementary school teacher. You just go to a special high school. Not really relevant, I just think it's an interesting contrast to here, where so many jobs require a university degree and throughout your whole life you end up learning many things/taking many courses in school which are irrelevant to your career.
Old 07-30-2010 at 08:03 PM   #18
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

@ nerual - haha my dad was the same way. went to western for engineering and barely made it out due to partying all the time. but now he's very successful.
@ahmedsu I definitely agree with you that sometimes you just have to block everything out and focus on yourself for a while..yeah you have to make sacrifices but it's only for 4 years. at the end of the day, you go to university to get a degree so you can start to pave your own way in the real world.
But at the same time..yeah, there are certain situations where your priorities may have to take a temporary shift. I must say though, having a relationship during school can be tough at times, especially if you aren't secure/confident with yourself. Coming out of abusive relationships in highschool, I was a wreck in 1st year with my bf, and often would not study because of how upset I was over some stupid thing. Had I been stronger/more confident in myself, I probably would have done a lot better. Ultimately, it's about finding that balance. There are some days where you may not see beyond your room, and there are some days where you'll be enjoying life at the pheonix.
@jeremy - I definitely think that's a factor, but I don't think EVERY student who's parents pay their tuition fail to take university seriously.
Old 07-30-2010 at 08:54 PM   #19
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
The CSD (Center for Student Development) located in the basement of the student center, beside Campus Health can help you manage your depression through this process. They shouldn't be as busy in the summer and you should be able to get help a lot quicker. Iw ouldn't recommend waiting well into the school year; they then book up pretty heavily and it involves a bit of a wait

Haha, i dont think he needs help with his depression. he needs help with what is causing the depression..

damn kids and their depression medication...
Old 07-30-2010 at 09:02 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.Morra13 View Post
@jeremy - I definitely think that's a factor, but I don't think EVERY student who's parents pay their tuition fail to take university seriously.
That's true, but I think most don't take university as seriously as they should.
Old 07-30-2010 at 09:06 PM   #21
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedsu View Post
all i have to say is that ppl have to value their studies more. cant let anything get in their way..there is no reason for anyone to do bad in any class. its just that ppl let get things to them. if u got a relationship prollem..dump her ass cz she aint worth your studies. got family issues, try to be strong and keep it to the side.
I find there to be a certain irony in you telling people to value their studies more when, across the WebCT boards and that MATLAB forum, you were consistently begging for help. That doesn't quite strike me as taking your studies seriously if you're (seemingly) barely willing to put the time and effort in to figuring it out for yourself.

Just my two cents.

As for the OP, the CSD would be your best bet for addressing your issues. Beyond that, talk with an academic counselor to see what your options are. That's the best I can say.

AmyLia, Cristina_n13, snaps like this.
Old 07-30-2010 at 09:21 PM   #22
cellphone

Liked: 5 Times

To the OP- if you did not complete all your coursework( exam, quizzes, midterms), and you have a valid medical excuse/other excuse that you can provide documentation for, and your grades show a pattern of dropping during that specific time- you can get the petition for special consideration. Definitely talk to the academic advisors as they can help you out a lot.

To the poster who says that studies should be everyone's priority - I think that is a very ignorant claim. Some people may not have other things to worry about other than school but others who are not as fortunate may have debilitating family /friend problems. We cannot ignore these facts and objectively focus on our education because we are human and we are prone to these awful things called emotions. It does not make one weak or unfocused if they are distracted by these issues. It's a legitimate concern and that's why universities have certain polices like special consideration petitions. Education may be important to you, but it's all about perspective. Try and see it from the person that is homeless and and is trying to put themselves through undergrad, or just lost a family member and etc.etc. Please don't make claims like that without really understanding the situation.
Old 07-30-2010 at 09:28 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellphone View Post
To the OP- if you did not complete all your coursework( exam, quizzes, midterms), and you have a valid medical excuse/other excuse that you can provide documentation for, and your grades show a pattern of dropping during that specific time- you can get the petition for special consideration. Definitely talk to the academic advisors as they can help you out a lot.

To the poster who says that studies should be everyone's priority - I think that is a very ignorant claim. Some people may not have other things to worry about other than school but others who are not as fortunate may have debilitating family /friend problems. We cannot ignore these facts and objectively focus on our education because we are human and we are prone to these awful things called emotions. It does not make one weak or unfocused if they are distracted by these issues. It's a legitimate concern and that's why universities have certain polices like special consideration petitions. Education may be important to you, but it's all about perspective. Try and see it from the person that is homeless and and is trying to put themselves through undergrad, or just lost a family member and etc.etc. Please don't make claims like that without really understanding the situation.
This is a good opportunity to introduce about CSD (Centre for Student Development). They have personal counseling and mental health department: http://csd.mcmaster.ca/personal
Old 07-30-2010 at 10:58 PM   #24
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I paid 90% of my tuition through OSAP and bursaries, not including bus passes, last year.
This year, I will be paying the entire amount which is double, through OSAP + scholarships.
I don't find that paying for my education makes me more responsible; I find that it definitely makes me more conscious about the responsibilities I have, financially, but not academically. It's not so much "making every dollar count" for me because well, the loan isn't going to decrease because I work hard. I want to work hard because I want to see the fruits of my best work and see what my potential can amount to, and because I have dreams that mandate diligent efforts.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-31-2010 at 12:22 AM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I paid 90% of my tuition through OSAP and bursaries, not including bus passes, last year.
This year, I will be paying the entire amount which is double, through OSAP + scholarships.
I don't find that paying for my education makes me more responsible; I find that it definitely makes me more conscious about the responsibilities I have, financially, but not academically. It's not so much "making every dollar count" for me because well, the loan isn't going to decrease because I work hard. I want to work hard because I want to see the fruits of my best work and see what my potential can amount to, and because I have dreams that mandate diligent efforts.
I think having a loan actually forces you to do your best in school, if you don't get your degree then you're going to have a very hard time paying off the loan working a close to minimum wage job.
Old 07-31-2010 at 12:36 AM   #26
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I think having a loan actually forces you to do your best in school, if you don't get your degree then you're going to have a very hard time paying off the loan working a close to minimum wage job.
I agree, but I was just sharing that I don't find it a huge motivator for myself

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-31-2010 at 09:12 AM   #27
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedsu View Post
thats alright, i dont expect people to agree with me cz everyone has their own thinking. but what makes you disagree, explain yourself, i just want to see where your coming from
My brother recently left for Afghanistan, and his schedule was so busy that I only had a 2 day window to see him before he left. If I couldn't be excused from an exam to see him before he left, I would have skipped it. Family, to me, is way more important than school. I wouldn't skip an exam (for example) to attend a birthday party for my sister, or something that I can always do later. But in a case like this, when you might not see someone ever again, school definately takes the back seat.

I'm sure others students have even more important examples than that one. If you think school is more important than your family, then that's your opinion. But it's not about "just not thinking about a problem you have" or putting it out of your mind - sometimes there are committments where you physically need to be somewhere, that are more important than studies.

In the end, it's just one exam. One grade. If it hurts my GPA a little bit in the long run, it doesn't compare to what I might have missed and what I might regret if I didn't see him before he left. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just very surprised that some people think that way.

cellphone likes this.
Old 07-31-2010 at 12:54 PM   #28
JesterRace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It's almost academic probation (which is 3.5).
Ah my bad...was thinking on the 4.0 scale and not the 12.0 scale.
Old 07-31-2010 at 01:05 PM   #29
JesterRace

My parents pay my way through university...but if anything that makes me more conscious to work hard. They have saved long and hard to send me to school and now I feel I owe it not only to myself, but my parents, to succeed in school. They have clearly set aside this money with the expectation that I take my studies seriously and work to the best of my ability, which I believe I do. That's such a sweeping generalization to make.

Cristina_n13 likes this.
Old 07-31-2010 at 03:30 PM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterRace View Post
My parents pay my way through university...but if anything that makes me more conscious to work hard. They have saved long and hard to send me to school and now I feel I owe it not only to myself, but my parents, to succeed in school. They have clearly set aside this money with the expectation that I take my studies seriously and work to the best of my ability, which I believe I do. That's such a sweeping generalization to make.
I didn't say all students, I said most and I still believe in what I say. Even I didn't take university that seriously in first year.