MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you use social media? Well... npetrella Volunteering Opportunities 2 11-02-2011 08:16 AM
Social Media + Job Search Conference woosterr MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-21-2011 01:52 PM
Politics and the use of Social Media Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-31-2011 07:39 AM
MacInsiders is looking for social media interns! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-04-2010 03:42 PM

Job Posting: Health sciences student interested in social media? (Burlington)

Old 06-15-2012 at 10:10 AM   #1
discover

Liked: 0 Times

Job Posting: Health sciences student interested in social media? (Burlington)
We are seeking a university student to join us in Burlington. We are developing several online, medical-based communities for different diseases such as COPD, allergies, asthma, and diabetes.

Ideal candidate:

- You are a medical student or health sciences student or have very good knowledge of medical diseases and are interested in researching current treatments of diseases

- You have a flair for social media at a professional level: eg. interacting with a community as a Facebook Page administrator and engaging users that like that page through the posting of images, links, and text

- You are a strong writer for articles around 500 words in length and can research journal articles or relevant information to prove the article's claims

- You are comfortable using Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter and have lots of ideas for how to use social media platforms creatively for growing a community

To apply:

- Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample by email.

When applying, be sure to mention if you have any related skills and, if possible, include any social media accounts. In your cover letter, be sure to identify why you are the ideal candidate for this position.

Rate: $10.26/hour. 30 hrs/week, 8 weeks

Please note, you must also fit the following criteria:

(a) is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
(b) was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
(c) intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
(d) is a student in a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP (Quebec only), vocational or technical program;
(e) is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration
and Refugee Protection Act*;
and
(f) is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
*Foreign students are not eligible.
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:32 AM   #2
discover

We've received a PM regarding the location and to clarify, the employee must report to work in Burlington. The position is not limited to health sciences students.

Please contact via PM. We are hiring immediately.

Last edited by discover : 06-18-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: contact method
Old 06-18-2012 at 10:16 AM   #3
albalks

Liked: 16 Times

This sounds like a great job opportunity. It combines a lot of interests, especially if you hope to pursue a career in the medical or healthcare field. However, I must say that if you are seeking a university student as opposed to a high school student, the pay should be higher than minimum wage. Especially since you require that the employee commute to Burlington, where they'll probably spend much of their pay on gas. I think it's reasonable to expect somewhat higher pay if you are asking for more qualified employees. We've paid a lot of money for our education and it's so unfortunate to see job postings such as these where our education is not really valued. I think the point I'm trying to make isn't that I want a job that has a high pay, but a job that values my qualifications and skills that I've received from a renowned institution.

Best of luck to you.

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 10:23 AM   #4
discover

Quote:
Originally Posted by albalks View Post
This sounds like a great job opportunity. It combines a lot of interests, especially if you hope to pursue a career in the medical or healthcare field. However, I must say that if you are seeking a university student as opposed to a high school student, the pay should be higher than minimum wage. Especially since you require that the employee commute to Burlington, where they'll probably spend much of their pay on gas. I think it's reasonable to expect somewhat higher pay if you are asking for more qualified employees. We've paid a lot of money for our education and it's so unfortunate to see job postings such as these where our education is not really valued. I think the point I'm trying to make isn't that I want a job that has a high pay, but a job that values my qualifications and skills that I've received from a renowned institution.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you for your interest, albalks. I understand where you are coming from with regards to salary. This position is supported by a summer jobs grant from the government, so we do not have much flexibility when it comes to salary.

We are partnered with many doctors and healthcare professionals, regulatory professionals with years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry, and we share an office with the leading Canadian internet marketing company, so there may be many reasons this position is suitable besides the salary alone.
Old 06-18-2012 at 01:27 PM   #5
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

What is the name of your organization? That's the first thing you should mention if you want to recruit people. So why the secrecy?