MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jobs on campus or in hamilton oobaid First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 10-07-2010 02:51 AM
On-Campus Jobs ferreinm MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-27-2010 08:42 AM
Campus Jobs Chad Volunteering Opportunities 0 03-31-2010 09:50 PM
jobs on campus nick Volunteering Opportunities 2 03-14-2010 07:25 PM
Summer jobs on campus Chad Volunteering Opportunities 1 04-04-2008 09:43 AM

Jobs on Campus?

Old 08-07-2010 at 11:50 PM   #1
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Jobs on Campus?
Is it hard to get jobs on campus? For example, being a receptionist at the gym?
Old 08-08-2010 at 01:01 AM   #2
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

It depends. If you want a job like that, you need to apply through OSCAR in MUGSI; and thus must have OSAP. However, if you don't have OSAP, I recommend working for the MSU. They always have jobs ongoing (I work for the MSU in Campus Events.) Check out the MSU website (www.msumcmaster.ca) and check the job postings for more info.
Old 08-08-2010 at 01:50 AM   #3
TheMist

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
It depends. If you want a job like that, you need to apply through OSCAR in MUGSI; and thus must have OSAP. However, if you don't have OSAP, I recommend working for the MSU. They always have jobs ongoing (I work for the MSU in Campus Events.) Check out the MSU website (www.msumcmaster.ca) and check the job postings for more info.
That's true and regarding previous experience, do they hire students who haven't worked previously but have significant amount of volunteering experience?
Old 08-08-2010 at 08:55 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMist View Post
That's true and regarding previous experience, do they hire students who haven't worked previously but have significant amount of volunteering experience?
It depends on the position, but if you have worthwhile experience, you can get a job in the MSU. You just need to write a resume that shows what you've learned through volunteering.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-08-2010 at 09:43 AM   #5
wheelal

Liked: 0 Times

The bookstore is also a good option..They'll probably start hiring for people to work in January in late october/early november. You don't need to be on osap either. They will post on their website when applications are available.
Old 08-08-2010 at 11:33 AM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelal View Post
The bookstore is also a good option..They'll probably start hiring for people to work in January in late october/early november. You don't need to be on osap either. They will post on their website when applications are available.
Titles had applications due in Feb for the following school year. They hire a bunch of people for the Sept rush, and of those people (depending on work performance and availability) they ask you to return for the Jan rush, or to return for the rest of the school year. If they don't have enough people, they might put out another job posting, but otherwise there likely won't be any jobs available until next year.

Also, you don't need OSAP to apply for ALL jobs on OSCAR--some require you to fill out a work-study program application, but you can do that even if you don't recieve OSAP (although if you do get OSAP, you're automatically approved). There are jobs available for people who don't qualify for work-study/McWork.
Old 08-11-2010 at 05:35 AM   #7
MacDai

Liked: 0 Times

can i work as a lifeguard in the gym? i have all my certificate and stuff. If so, where can i apply?
Old 08-13-2010 at 01:30 PM   #8
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Hey I was wondering if any of you have heard from any of the employers. It's been a few days or so since i have applied on oscar. I was wondering when do they start hiring?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2010 at 01:33 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDai View Post
can i work as a lifeguard in the gym? i have all my certificate and stuff. If so, where can i apply?
The actual jobs with McMaster itself can be pretty competitive, and I would suspect you'll be competing with people who have years of experience saving silly drowndy people, but check out the front desk at the Athletic Centre? Its in use year-round, so check in there periodically to drop off a new resume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Hey I was wondering if any of you have heard from any of the employers. It's been a few days or so since i have applied on oscar. I was wondering when do they start hiring?

Thanks
I was hired in like June?

Last edited by rcrw88 : 08-13-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2010 at 02:03 PM   #10
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

Does anyone know how demanding a job at 1280 might be if their hours are listed as 'variable'?
Old 08-13-2010 at 02:17 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty! View Post
Does anyone know how demanding a job at 1280 might be if their hours are listed as 'variable'?
It probably means they'll work with your studies in consideration?
Old 08-13-2010 at 02:22 PM   #12
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
It probably means they'll work with your studies in consideration?
Hmm thought so. K now I feel stupid for asking =/
Old 08-13-2010 at 06:04 PM   #13
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
I was hired in like June?
But the oscar opened on august? NO? All the hype and stuff
Old 08-13-2010 at 07:24 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
But the oscar opened on august? NO? All the hype and stuff
I have no idea what your post means.
Old 08-13-2010 at 07:53 PM   #15
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
I have no idea what your post means.
A lot of new jobs for 2010-2011 session were supposed to be posted on august 1 on oscar. I applied to few of those. So I was wondering when are they gonna be recruiting!