MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
What's McIntyre? Desda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-10-2010 09:48 AM
Joel Leavitt's Disqualification Overturned Chad MacInsiders Announcements 6 03-10-2008 08:16 PM

John McIntyre Disqualification Overturned

John McIntyre Disqualification Overturned

Earlier this week we found out that John McIntyre, running for re-elect for SRA Science was disqualified for numerous reasons due to Facebook postings. He appealed this accusations and the ruling was overturned.

"Just wanted to let everyone know that after my disqualification was overturned, and the recount was done", says John. "It was found that I had 147 votes, putting me in second place in the SRA Science Election"

The Science Reps for next year are now:
  • Temara Brown
  • John McIntyre
  • Ben Taunton
  • Aaron Wade
  • Tamara McNutt
  • Heather Fisher

McIntyre says thanks to Chad for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 03-21-2009 at 03:16 AM   #2
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Year: Other
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
Congratulations John! Perhaps I'll run again next year...

McIntyre says thanks to Nino for this post.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 03-21-2009 at 08:25 AM   #3
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10
Program: Political Science & Labour Studies
Year: Fourth
Residence: Wallingford (07-08, 08-09) Hedden (09-10) now SOCS

Liked: 24 Times
Why was it overturned?

McIntyre says thanks to .:callen:. for this post.
Old 03-21-2009 at 08:56 AM   #4
stevennevets
Program: Philosophy
Year: Fifth
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 37 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callender View Post
Why was it overturned?
also, why did it happen in the first place?

and congrats john! i voted for you, you seem like a great active member of the SRA. keep up the great work!

Last edited by stevennevets : 03-21-2009 at 10:21 AM.

McIntyre says thanks to stevennevets for this post.

Old 03-21-2009 at 10:43 AM   #5
McIntyre
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 182 Times
The Elections Committee made the decision with only a little bit of evidence. I had engaged another candidate in debate on his Facebook group, and the EC to issue with parts of it. I was able to provide the full conversation to give context as well as private discussions between myself and the other candidate that showed he was interested in engaging in debate. The EC then overturned one of my fines because they couldn't show that I had either "intentionally" or "damaged" his campaign material. At that point since my disqualification was based on two "major" violations, and only one remained they removed my disqualification. I will be further appealing the first major violation to the Electoral Appeal Board as I feel it is completely unwarranted, however, glad I was able to at least get the disqualification solved now!

I'm very excited to represent Science students on the SRA for another year!
Old 03-21-2009 at 01:41 PM   #6
myoozik
Program: Science
Year: Third

Liked: 42 Times
Hi John,

As a Science Student, I'm absolutely impressed with your passion and clear sense of direction. It's evident that you are unwilling to go down without a fight, and have the chops to back it up. Hopefully, the rest of the SRA will have as much focus and dedication. Good luck in your second year (at least I think so?) and we're counting on all six of you to represent us well. Cheers!
Old 03-21-2009 at 08:17 PM   #7
deadpool
X-Man
Program: Fighting

Liked: 394 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
Congratulations John! Perhaps I'll run again next year...
More than that, don't let this stop you from coming out to the SRA meetings from now on. You never know what might happen, and I'm positive that the Science caucus, and the greater assembly would really appreciate the input of someone who was very close to sitting amongst them.
Old 03-21-2009 at 08:37 PM   #8
McIntyre
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 182 Times
I completely agree! Especially, as I have already mentioned to you personally, get involved in the committees! There are MSU Member at Large seats for a reason - and committees are where a large part of the work actually gets accomplished!
Old 03-21-2009
huzaifa47
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-21-2009 at 08:52 PM   #9
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevennevets View Post
also, why did it happen in the first place?

and congrats john! i voted for you, you seem like a great active member of the SRA. keep up the great work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by callender View Post
Why was it overturned?
This article from the Sil explains things:

"After the DVD Referendum this past fall, the Elections Committee made the decision to allow candidates to campaign on Facebook. The recent SRA election sparked the first investigation into what is and isn’t appropriate use of Facebook as a campaigning tool.
John McIntyre was one of the 12 candidates for a position on the SRA Science caucus. He explained that, “in the past, the SRA elections have been based on name recognition and I wanted something more, I wanted to see platforms.” McIntyre created a Facebook group for his campaign and looked at others who had done the same, because with a SRA Science caucus of six these are candidates that might be representing McIntyre.
One candidate, Jared Kunar, “made allegations [on his Facebook group page] that the SRA Science caucus failed on the issue of trying to get it so that Science students could book study rooms in the Health Science Library (HSL), as currently on Health Sciences students can … [Kunar] was claiming that if he was elected he would continually push for something like this and fight the University administration. He was representing activist views.”
Kunar was one of the members who had originally brought the issue to the SRA, and McIntyre had investigated the issue himself. He explained that, “we approached Liz Bayley, [the Director and Head of Systems at HSL] and she explained that the Health Sciences students are on a different financial grid, they get their funds from the Faculty of Health Sciences. The faculty feels that their students need that group space more, so while Science students can use the space they just can’t pre-book it. She agreed that Science students need more group space but suggested they contact their library director as there’s nothing that could be done [about the issue of HSL rooms].”
McIntyre said that it didn’t stop there, after speaking with Liz Bayley he responded to Kunar twice to explain what he had learned, and never heard back from Kunar. McIntyre noticed allegations on Kunar’s Facebook group including “you never did anything” and “I never got a response” regarding the HSL issue.
This was brought up in a series of wall posts between McIntyre and Kunar, which included debate on many issues relevant to the SRA elections and focused on the HSL room booking issue. After Kunar deleted all the posts, McIntyre “made a post saying that if his posters are advertizing transparency, yet he was deleting concerns from one of his possible constituents, how do you address that?”
The two candidates also entered in to a debate over McIntyre’s choice to endorse other candidates. Many SRA candidates sent messages to their Facebook groups detailing, which candidates they would be voting for themselves based on the campaigns or based on experience working with that candidate. McIntyre stressed that, “there is nothing against the election bylaws that says you cannot campaign for someone else.” In McIntyre’s endorsement message, he expressed that he felt no other candidate would put in the effort that the endorsed candidates would. This came under serious scrutiny by the Elections Committee. In response to this, McIntyre pointed out that, “If I said that about myself I wouldn’t be in trouble … so why can’t I say the same thing about them if I’m campaigning for them [which is in essence what I'm doing by endorsing them."
After hearing that his posting was coming under scrutiny McIntyre sent an apology to Kunar. He explained that Kunar, "responded saying that he wished we had had the conversation in a more public forum to generate more interest. He seemed like he was fine with it and thought it was actually beneficial."
When the ballots were counted and the decision released, McIntyre discovered that he had been disqualified and his votes were dismissed. Kunar submitted a complaint, which the Elections Committee considered when making their decision to disqualify McIntyre.
At the time of press, the MSU was unable to comment. Kunar’s complaint consisted of the five posts from Kunar's Facebook group wall, which he had not deleted. McIntyre felt this left the Elections Committee without any of the context to what was said. Included in the five posts that Kunar submited was McIntyre's comment questioning Kunar's transparency and expressing concern over Kunar being in a position of representing Science students. It also included an allegation by Kunar that McIntyre was attempting to control the caucus by endorsing other candidates, and McIntyre's response to this.
McIntyre stressed that, "without the context I still don't think it fell within the realm of bad taste, but they didn't give me due process by looking into the context."
McIntyre explained that, "the Elections Committee is claiming that [the posts] were detrimental to his campaign but they didn’t see everything because they didn’t consider it all. John Scheiding, Chief Returning Officer, brought up in the meeting that there’s all this other stuff that will provide more context and they said they don’t need anything more. So they didn’t give me due process.”
McIntyre said that he, “feels like it’s been done very unfairly.” He claims that the Elections Committee had not outlined the fine structure prior to the elections start and although a major fine is typicallyten dollars, they fined McIntyre a 20 and a 30 dollar fine. Also, he said that whenever a candidate is disqualified their votes are to be counted as abstentions, but someone from the Elections Committee informed him that they were disregarded entirely so that McIntyre would not have any way of knowing roughly how many votes he received. During the consideration of his disqualification, minutes show that SRA members treated him differently because he was a current SRA member. The minutes record comments such as, “he should have known better” and “he made the SRA look bad.” It is also clear from the minutes that many SRA members felt there should have been more information before they made a decision on the case.
In his appeal McIntyre has outlined all these complaints. The appeal period ends Thurs. Mar. 19 and he hopes to expedite the review process. The appeal will first go to the Elections Committee and if they reject the appeal then it moves to the Elections Appeal Board who makes a final ruling. McIntyre explained that, “the frustrating this is … that it probably won’t be resolved by Apr. 5 which is the first SRA meeting … where the VP’s are elected.” Even if the disqualification is overruled and McIntyre had enough votes to win an SRA position he will have lost his vote on the VP’s, and he has already lost the opportunity to run for VP Admin. If the appeal stretches past Apr. 19 he will lose the chance to run for any commissioner position, which is something he is interested in.
McIntyre said, “I’m definitely fighting this … I’m on the SRA to accomplish things and not just as a resume padder so I’m pissed off that this is how it’s going to end. But I have faith that the EAB, once they give it proper consideration will overturn [the disqualification].”
Whatever decision the Elections Appeal Board may make it’s the first time the new bylaw allowing Facebook campaigning will be examined. The decision has the potential to scare away candidates in upcoming elections from real debate. Students should be worried that if debate is stifled they will be prevented from making an informed choice on voting day."

But on a secondary note Congrats John! I actually happened to be Outside the MSU office that day doing my overdue essay+ waiting for my Fyc by Election Result.

At that time I had no idea why there was a person or two sitting since before I was there in a state of extremely distressed anticipation, then I think the officials came out with the results and it was quite clear how badly you wanted to wanted the SRA seat by the pure unadulterated look of joy/relief in your face!

Here's to hoping you represent Sci's with the same enthusiasam!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 03-21-2009 at 08:56 PM   #10
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Yeah, I'll definitely go to the meetings and continue to be involved. I'll join a few committees too.
Old 03-21-2009 at 09:57 PM   #11
Alvand
Year: Third

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
Yeah, I'll definitely go to the meetings and continue to be involved. I'll join a few committees too.

Being a macinsiders user since last may or w.e., i always read up on this guy nino and his good contribution to the community. when I found out that he was actually a candidate for sra science elections, i was glad to hear that there are other first year students getting involved in their new environment; analyzing each and every situation for opportunities to reach their potential. Fadil (nino) has reached this, and beyond. As a fellow first-year student, I congradulate you for your contribution to the mcmaster student body. I am sure you know I would be greateful to work with you someday, and I do see us working together in the near future.

A true leader at heart, Fadil ElShaikh.

And to John McIntyre, your positive attitude to the Mac Community is surely appreciated by all, and your contribution to next year's SRA will be a great asset to all undergraduate students. Congradulations,

Alvand

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Chad says thanks to Alvand for this post.
Old 03-23-2009 at 05:56 PM   #12
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Thanks a lot Alvand. I appreciate it! It's a bummer that we did not get to work together this year. You have made contributions to the betterment of the McMaster community in various ways. It is also great to see a fellow first year getting involved. Hopefully we end up working together in the near future, possibly during Welcome Week. Thank you all and I am glad that I got the chance to meet such great people through Mac Insiders and my SRA campaign!

KaesoPublius, lorend all say thanks to Nino for this post.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search