MacInsiders Logo

I was just googling

Old 01-24-2011 at 12:58 PM   #31
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I love mac ^_^. I turned down Queens, Western, UofT and McGill to come here. It was the chance to study in an anatomy lab that really got me so I came here for Healthsci and I couldn't be happier. But I've found that our school offers so much more in terms of clubs, services, great campus, and from what I can tell of other programs, I've taken some amazing courses in socsci and humanities that I loved too. My sister, who went to McGill, said she regretted her decision to go there as you get treated as a number in those bigger schools. We're lucky here at mac in that respect.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 01-24-2011 at 01:25 PM   #32
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
1st -having lived in hamilton likely longer than anyone else on this forum, I'll agree it has its issues.

2nd - comparing universities in Canada is difficult cause they are more likely to be program centric than school centric like the states. Anything Harvard will always be better than anything at a state school. While Queens might rank overall better, McMaster has the most highly regarded labour studies program in the country and that is why I go here not queens, not UofT. Though I do want to go to UofT for a masters cause it is the best in that field.

3rd - the only people who's opinions on which school is better that should be valid are those that have attended both.
This is true, Mac's labour studies program is the most highly regarded in Canada. We have some great profs in that dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
I love mac ^_^. I turned down Queens, Western, UofT and McGill to come here. It was the chance to study in an anatomy lab that really got me so I came here for Healthsci and I couldn't be happier. But I've found that our school offers so much more in terms of clubs, services, great campus, and from what I can tell of other programs, I've taken some amazing courses in socsci and humanities that I loved too. My sister, who went to McGill, said she regretted her decision to go there as you get treated as a number in those bigger schools. We're lucky here at mac in that respect.
I applied to U of T as a second choice over McMaster because I always wanted to go here anyway! Little did I know it's actually harder to get into Toronto (but I got accepted). I love the campus and we have great clubs and events. Not gonna lie though, if I lived in Connecticut my first choice would be Yale. But I don't want to travel too far from home so McMaster it is! And I love it. I will apply to Queen's, U of T and McGill for my graduate, however.

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 01-24-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2011 at 01:34 PM   #33
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
This is true, Mac's labour stdies porgram is the most highly regarded in Canada. We have some great profs in that dept.

I applied to U of T as a second choice over McMaster because I always wanted to go here anyway! Little did I know it's actually harder to get into Toronto (but I got accepted). I love the campus and we have great clubs and events. Not gonna lie though, if I lived in Connecticut my first choic would be Yale. But I don't want to travel too far from home so McMaster it is! And I love it. I will apply to Queen's, U of T and McGill for my undergrad, however.
Aren't most of us doing our undergrad now

Rakim likes this.
Old 01-24-2011 at 01:40 PM   #34
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

turned down western u of t and waterloo just cause i liked how mac looked. cant say i regret it. besides, our logo and colours are the best looking

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 01-24-2011 at 02:13 PM   #35
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBatt View Post
turned down western u of t and waterloo just cause i liked how mac looked. cant say i regret it. besides, our logo and colours are the best looking
Purple is my fav colour, though. But I have to say, TD Waterhouse Stadium is too much purple even for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLB0T View Post
Aren't most of us doing our undergrad now
Oops, EDIT.
Old 01-24-2011 at 04:43 PM   #36
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I love going to mac... i chose McMaster over going to Queens.
There's no way they have anything as great as our chemical biology program here at mac... oh wait... no other university in canada has an undergraduate chemistry program.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 01-24-2011 at 05:24 PM   #37
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

My p.o.v.:

I never wanted to go to Mac. It had no kind of reputation, or any programs that had any amazing reputation. I applied to no less than 14 schools; UBC, SFU, U of A, Waterloo, Laurier, Western, U of T, Guelph, McMaster, York (Glendon), Carleton, Queen's, McGill and Dalhousie. I was accepted at all of them except McGill (95% average for the program I applied for) and Queen's (I left my personal statement of experience or whatever bullshit it's called to the last minute and then forgot about it.)

For the longest time, my top choice was Queen's. Then I messed up on the PSE. So then it was Waterloo. Then it was Glendon. Then Carleton offered me a massive scholarship. Then my marks dropped. Then I actually got a call from a random college in the States about soccer, which made me wonder what game they were looking at since my Grade 12 season was not a good one. Then I really wanted to go to Dalhousie. Then my parents backed out of their support for travel, so I wanted to go to Waterloo. Then I decided I didn't want to do Chemistry any more.

I went to my teacher and legitimately told him to pick a school at random. Out of Waterloo, Glendon and McMaster (the ones I hadn't outright eliminated), he picked McMaster.

Yes, I went to Mac at random.

But I don't regret it. I look at Western, and they're nothing more than a bunch of purple pony-riding snobby shit-disturbing dropout douchebags. Queen's is the same, except instead of ponies they wear stupid hats. U of T doesn't care much for its students. Glendon would've been a dumb choice since I might as well have went to Lakehead and I would've had the same social interaction. Waterloo would've bored me to death. SFU, UBC, and U of A are all too far. Carleton's degrees are worth almost nothing, for the program I wanted.

See, the great thing about Mac is... even though there isn't much amazing about Mac, there isn't anything wrong with it. It's an above average school, with a decent reputation, free of too many problems. And for some reason I've grown to love Mac, so for that reason, I'm glad to be wearing maroon instead of purple.

Seriously? PURPLE? Douchebags.

Phaint says thanks to bcars for this post.

Old 01-24-2011 at 05:32 PM   #38
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

i heard mac was innovative, with it's health sci program and the origins institute
Old 01-24-2011 at 05:53 PM   #39
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
My p.o.v.:

I never wanted to go to Mac. It had no kind of reputation, or any programs that had any amazing reputation. I applied to no less than 14 schools; UBC, SFU, U of A, Waterloo, Laurier, Western, U of T, Guelph, McMaster, York (Glendon), Carleton, Queen's, McGill and Dalhousie. I was accepted at all of them except McGill (95% average for the program I applied for) and Queen's (I left my personal statement of experience or whatever bullshit it's called to the last minute and then forgot about it.)

For the longest time, my top choice was Queen's. Then I messed up on the PSE. So then it was Waterloo. Then it was Glendon. Then Carleton offered me a massive scholarship. Then my marks dropped. Then I actually got a call from a random college in the States about soccer, which made me wonder what game they were looking at since my Grade 12 season was not a good one. Then I really wanted to go to Dalhousie. Then my parents backed out of their support for travel, so I wanted to go to Waterloo. Then I decided I didn't want to do Chemistry any more.

I went to my teacher and legitimately told him to pick a school at random. Out of Waterloo, Glendon and McMaster (the ones I hadn't outright eliminated), he picked McMaster.

But I don't regret it. I look at Western, and they're nothing more than a bunch of purple pony-riding snobby shit-disturbing dropout douchebags. Queen's is the same, except instead of ponies they wear stupid hats. U of T doesn't care much for its students. Glendon would've been a dumb choice since I might as well have went to Lakehead and I would've had the same social interaction. Waterloo would've bored me to death. SFU, UBC, and U of A are all too far. Carleton's degrees are worth almost nothing, for the program I wanted.

See, the great thing about Mac is... even though there isn't much amazing about Mac, there isn't anything wrong with it. It's an above average school, with a decent reputation, free of too many problems. And for some reason I've grown to love Mac, so for that reason, I'm glad to be wearing maroon instead of purple.

How much did it cost to apply to all those schools? Like excess of $500?

Last edited by changturkey : 01-24-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2011 at 06:09 PM   #40
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
My p.o.v.:

Sex me.

This should be posted somewhere in the student center..

Old 01-24-2011 at 06:43 PM   #41
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Those schools are just raging because their schools suck. I don't regret Mac.
Old 01-24-2011 at 06:48 PM   #42
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
i have to disagree with you on the last point. maybe in health sci you're treated as an individual, but in many programs(especially science) you are definitely treated as a number.
Old 01-24-2011 at 07:46 PM   #43
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
i have to disagree with you on the last point. maybe in health sci you're treated as an individual, but in many programs(especially science) you are definitely treated as a number.
Depends on the science program. Bio is actually an exception--any chem, physics or math programs at Mac, as well as the biopharm program, will not treat you like a number.
Old 01-24-2011 at 08:02 PM   #44
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

There's only 3 good universities in Ontario :

Mcmaster
UofT
Waterloo

For Grad stuff,I would probably go to UofT(slightly wins on this one). For coop, Waterloo .. And for everything else, Mac.

For hot chicks, you gotta go to McGill
Old 01-24-2011 at 08:05 PM   #45
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
There's only 3 good universities in Ontario :

Mcmaster
UofT
Waterloo

For Grad stuff,I would probably go to UofT(slightly wins on this one). For coop, Waterloo .. And for everything else, Mac.

For hot chicks, you gotta go to McGill
Agreed. Definitely agreed.