Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio1a03 Lab mike4 Academics 0 08-17-2010 12:45 AM

KAJIURA or BOREHAM for bio1a03?

Old 08-11-2010 at 11:55 AM   #1
strawbrryjam

Liked: 0 Times

KAJIURA or BOREHAM for bio1a03?
any1 had them? :O~...

Last edited by strawbrryjam : 08-11-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-11-2010 at 12:04 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Kajiura is awesome, I love her to pieces (although prepare to be babied). Never had Boreham.

Go with Kajiura.

strawbrryjam says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 08-11-2010 at 12:11 PM   #3
strawbrryjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
Kajiura is awesome, I love her to pieces (although prepare to be babied). Never had Boreham.

Go with Kajiura.
how about
KOLASA, J? :O~
Old 08-11-2010 at 12:12 PM   #4
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Uh... Kajiura is crazy. Didn't like her at all. I work for Boreham, and he's pretty awesome.
But for Bio 1A03 (and 1M03 for that matter), half the semester is taught by Kajiura, and the other half is taught by Boreham. So you'll have both of them as your prof's.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 08-11-2010 at 12:13 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I hate Kajiura, her note system is horrible and a feeble attempt to make students listen to her lectures.

strawbrryjam says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

nerual likes this.
Old 08-11-2010 at 12:16 PM   #6
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

I think Kajiura will teach the first part of the course and then Boreham will take over for the second half of the semester. They're both good but they have extremely different teaching styles. Kajiura goes by the textbook a lot... Boreham won't even bother using it. He will mostly bring in guest speakers and teach you stuff from his own research that is relevant to the course. His tests are really easy though and his material is interesting.

It doesn't really matter who you choose but I feel like people tend to do better when having Kajiura as a teacher since it's not a big stretch from the high school teaching style... which makes that high school to university transition better.

strawbrryjam says thanks to IbrahimH for this post.
Old 08-11-2010 at 12:18 PM   #7
Maryam R.

I had both of them when I took the course in Sep 2009.

Dr Kajuira is very organized and approachable. she posts notes with blanks before the lecture along with some study questions before each midterm. Her questions are a bit challenging compared to boreham's.

Dr Boreham is funny and engaging. he posts the lecture slides after the lecture and all technology devices should be turned off in his class. He bases his questions on what he said in lectures (some stuff are not in the textbook).

Dr. kajuira doesn't diverge from the book as much as he does but she still has some real life examples that she asks about on the test though the textbook doesn't cover them.

The final exam was a collaboration between them both. I found that Dr. Boreham's part was easier and more straightforward. But again those were detailes that he said in class so make sure you attend all his lectures and write everyword that comes out of his mouth!!

If I had to take again I'd go with Boreham
Hope that helped... and good luck choosing

strawbrryjam says thanks to Maryam R. for this post.
Old 08-11-2010 at 12:19 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Unless they've completely changed the way they run the course, you'll have all of the profs listed at different times--this way, it doesn't matter what section you're in, everyone gets taught the same material by the same prof. They just split the teaching of the course into chunks, which I thought helped me remember things better.

Never heard of the other two, but I had Kajiura and didn't like her. She babies people and goes off topic way too much, and she's really patronizing. I also hated her note system.

strawbrryjam says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-11-2010 at 01:00 PM   #9
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Doug Boreham? I've only had him as a workshop director and program director for Shad. He was my cousin's Master's supervisor as well. He had interesting lectures.

Kolasa, if it's the same guy who taught 2F03 two years ago... his lectures are kind of dull but he has a strange sense of humour. His tests were pretty easy, it was mostly a matter of knowing one concept well instead of knowing everything.

Kajuira ... she was okay. I found her a bit condescending. "When I was an undergraduate student ..."

Old 08-11-2010 at 01:08 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Kajuira ... she was okay. I found her a bit condescending. "When I was an undergraduate student ..."
"...here at McMaster, many moons ago...I worked three jobs, and time management is key! I'd find empty classrooms to do work in. You should all find empty classrooms to do work in!...."

"...I really had to stay on top of things, so I used a daily planner. You should all use a daily planner too, so you can stay organized!..."

"...I had a wobbly table for an exam! So, when you go to write your first exams, make sure you check if the desk is wobbly before you sit down!..."

"...We used to go for walks in Cootes all the time! It's a great place, you should all go...just be careful of the random dangerous people who shouldn't be there, because students used to get attacked in there!..."

"I was having dinner with Scott...yes, Scott Freeman, the author of your textbooks, and he was telling me blah blah blah"

I swear, she could have taught the material in half the time if she was capable of staying on track.

Lois likes this.
Old 08-11-2010 at 01:13 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
"...here at McMaster, many moons ago...I worked three jobs, and time management is key! I'd find empty classrooms to do work in. You should all find empty classrooms to do work in!...."

"...I really had to stay on top of things, so I used a daily planner. You should all use a daily planner too, so you can stay organized!..."

"...I had a wobbly table for an exam! So, when you go to write your first exams, make sure you check if the desk is wobbly before you sit down!..."

"...We used to go for walks in Cootes all the time! It's a great place, you should all go...just be careful of the random dangerous people who shouldn't be there, because students used to get attacked in there!..."

"I was having dinner with Scott...yes, Scott Freeman, the author of your textbooks, and he was telling me blah blah blah"

I swear, she could have taught the material in half the time if she was capable of staying on track.
Lol, every time she used to say "I used to sit in that chair right there", me and my friends would wonder if anyone would dismantle the chair.
Old 08-11-2010 at 01:48 PM   #12
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post

See, but I actually found a lot of her advice really helpful. Empty classrooms are so much better than the library when you actually need to get work done- the library is crowded and noisy, always. Too many people go there just to socialize. If you need to work with a group for a long stretch, and the library study rooms are already full (a common occurrence) empty classrooms are the best bet. I think all of our PBL project from first year was done in empty classrooms.

And the wobbly table thing, along with the advice she gave about sitting in clear view of a clock and away from the invigilators table was pretty useful. I still do that when picking an exam seat.

Plus she's super nice, and one of the few profs you can have good conversations with about non academic things, like jazz music.
Old 08-11-2010 at 02:00 PM   #13
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

I don't have Kajuira/Boreham first term, but I have Kajuira/Wilson second term. I was just wondering how important going to lectures are, because on Thursday's I only have 1 class (this one incidentally), and given my commute, I can see myself being very unmotivated to attend those Thursday lectures.
Old 08-11-2010 at 02:03 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeanz View Post
I don't have Kajuira/Boreham first term, but I have Kajuira/Wilson second term. I was just wondering how important going to lectures are, because on Thursday's I only have 1 class (this one incidentally), and given my commute, I can see myself being very unmotivated to attend those Thursday lectures.
There are usually a couple application explanations (real life situations) that aren't in the book and that are tested on. So I would recommend you going to class.

Jellybeanz says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-11-2010 at 03:11 PM   #15
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

I had both of them, and I didn't like either.

Kaijura: It seemed like half the class loved her while the other hated her. I found that most of the females liked her. The thing that annoyed me so much about her was that she'd CONSTANTLY, CONSTANTLY, CONSTANTLY keep telling us that "this isn't highschool anymore", "memorizing won't help you in university", "make charts and diagrams" and "a lot of students find the transition from highschool to university very difficult". Although at first it made her seem friendly, after the 230913019th time, I just wanted to pull my hair out. And the funniest thing was that I found my highschool biology material a lot more difficult than what she was teaching.

Boreham: Again, some people loved him, some didn't. What I didn't like about him was that he kept talking about radiation over and over and over and over again. His point was that some radiation is good for you while too much is bad, but repeating it in numerous different ways was complete overkill. But he did have a sense of humour and made sure the lecture hall was quiet (thank god).

My favourite was Dr. Quinn. But a lot of people found his midterm extremely lengthy/difficult etc.