MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio1a03 Lab mike4 Academics 0 08-17-2010 12:45 AM

KAJIURA or BOREHAM for bio1a03?

Old 08-11-2010 at 03:26 PM   #16
infinity8

Liked: 2 Times

Kajiura "spoon feeds", if you need that. I'd say if you have it first term it's not too bad because she tries to make you feel more comfortable in university, but for second term I just found it annoying.

Boreham. My friends and I called him "Boredham" for the first week or so... but after that I realized he's a really fun prof, and probably my favourite from first year. He was NOT a textbook teacher (unlike Kajiura), and the little details of his lecture notes (specific genes) were important to know. Knowing this, his portion of the tests are much easier.
Old 08-11-2010 at 03:42 PM   #17
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

I had both. Kajiura taught the first half of BIO 1A03 and Boreham the second part.
I didn't like either.
I can't remember a single lecture with Kajiura where she actually talked about biology for more than 2 minutes...And being among many second year chemical engineers in that class, I didn't need a 40 minute lecture on how to study. I'm pretty sure she could've covered the basics in the first class for the first years that cared and left it at that. If she had spent half as much time talking about biology, we would've all been a hell of a lot happier come exam time. I found her fill-in-the-blank notes annoying but I did like that she followed the textbook. The only problem was at the exam, which I thought was unnecessarily challenging.

Boreham on the other hand, is her exact opposite. He doesn't follow the textbook at all, the class has to be absolutely silent or he gets pissed off, and his exam questions are much more fair.
I still didn't like him though because if he noticed even a whisper he'd stop midsentence to b*tch at you about it. And I'm not saying that out of my own experience. I keep quiet anyways, but I don't mind people who whisper quietly at the back of the class and I don't appreciate that he kept breaking off in the middle of a subject to tell those people off.
He also decided that we needed a break mid-class and he played us, what I can only assume he thought was good music, for 5 minutes and let us stretch. It's 50 minutes...who is so ADD that they need a break every 20 minutes??? I thought it was ridiculous for a university lecture.

Either way though, I doubt you have a choice in the matter. All I can say is, prepare yourself =)

Last edited by AmyLia : 08-11-2010 at 03:45 PM.

amyshi likes this.