MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ask the Candidates - Kieran Chad Presidentials 2010 1 02-01-2010 03:42 PM
Second Candidate To Join Kieran Alkerton temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-26-2010 01:51 PM

Kieran Alkerton

Old 01-20-2010 at 12:36 AM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Kieran Alkerton
Kieran Alkerton

Welcome to the thread for this candidate. Information about the Candidate will appear here shortly. Feel free to discuss this candidate's campaign and/or ask the candidate questions. There are no guarantee your question(s) will be answered, but this thread is open to be used by the candidate to have open conversation with students and members of MacInsiders.

Be sure to follow MI Terms Of Service and Code Of Conduct rules at all times.

Threads deemed to be breaking these rules will be removed or moderated by MI Staff. If you find a post breaking our Conduct Code please report it by clicking the REPORT button within the post.
Old 01-20-2010 at 09:49 AM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Hey Everyone!

Here is Kieran's Facebook Fan page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kieran...2479813?v=info

His contact email is [email protected] !

Our platform and website will be coming up soon, you are free to email Kieran or post on this thread if you have any questions!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-20-2010 at 11:45 AM   #3
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

it's our education, it's our money, it's our education, it's our turn

sooo can this mean overthrowing all administration, the institution, control, legitimacy of authority and judicial affairs socialization?

canceling mass education (which was designed to control farming populations anyways) and replace it with free/democratic systems advocated by Bertrand Russel and John Dewey?

Last edited by andrew22 : 01-20-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2010 at 11:54 AM   #4
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Andrew,

The idea is predicated on the fact that McMaster administration has been implementing their own goals and plans without adequately considering the needs of students. The University neglects its key shareholders --students-- in order to satisfy the desires of donors.

The MSU has been wrapped up in its own internal politics to really represent the student voices. More often than not, the viewpoints held by the MSU leadership only represent the small, unrepresentative sample provided by only asking SRA members.

Kieran is not tied to the MSU, and has not been. His vision is to escape the institutionalized frame of mind that has hindered progress to take the MSU back to its roots: as the advocates for students to pressure the University to move forward with things students want, as opposed to the current practice of asking nicely and hoping for a reply.

If you want to talk to him, Kieran's in MUSC for the week outside the Teriyaki place. Look for red. I'm sure you can find something to discuss.

huzaifa47, LWright all say thanks to deadpool for this post.

c.erl, conster, huzaifa47, LWright like this.
Old 01-20-2010 at 05:17 PM   #5
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Hey everyone!

Our uber awesome Website: http://kieran2010.com/index.php/a/

It got Delayed a bit because of attempted ICMP DOS attacks on our website in the morning(Hacking in layman's terms). How low a tactic is that :| Unfortunately the perpetrators don't seem to be aware of the risks or the capabilities of the DOS prevention policies available to modern day hosting companies, that's all I'll say about it for now.

Is now online!

Please check out our platform and let us know what you think!

Also here is an excerpt from the website:

Quote:
This election cannot be won by Kieran alone. He needs as much feedback, help and support as possible. Whether you have great ideas to share, or you want to learn how to get more involved at McMaster, the Kieran Alkerton campaign team has a spot for you!
  1. Get a starter pack! Want to show your support of Kieran, but don't have the time to directly volunteer with the campaign? Stop by the campaign headquarters (tables outside of Teriyaki in MUSC!), meet part of the team and get some red to show off your support!
  2. Sign up for a workshop! Kieran's campaign needs as many ideas and volunteers as possible. Sign up for a workshop by email to meet Kieran and to help out with the campaign effort!
Infact we have a workshop today at 8:30pm; Meet Us infront of TSH 112(You enter that corridor from the front Lobby of KTH)!! We will be having them regularly there(we will try to have them daily as much as we can). You can email [email protected] to let us know you are coming!

The purpose of the workshop is for people to get involved and an open invitation for you to get involved, unlike some campaigns our campaign prides on the fact that we have people from all sorts of backgrounds that didn't really know each other come together and contribute to our platform. Even now Kieran as a candidate doesn't say he knows everything; it is more of a collaborative effort that he is willing to turn into rational structured platform.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 01-20-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2010 at 05:21 PM   #6
andrew22
Account Locked

While this sounds like a good start,

did you say he is going from 'asking' to 'advocating'?

another boring campaign then! . Don't ask for anything, just take.
It isn't even taking if it is our money and our school.
Old 01-20-2010 at 05:42 PM   #7
kalkerton

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
While this sounds like a good start,

did you say he is going from 'asking' to 'advocating'?

another boring campaign then! . Don't ask for anything, just take.
It isn't even taking if it is our money and our school.
hey andrew,

I don't log on to mac insiders that much, although I do browse from time to time to see what's going on. It seems to me like you're the guy to impress around here to win the election, so why don't we meet? I'd love to wade through the buzzwords with you to clarify what I'm going for with this campaign. My campaign headquarters is in the student centre in front of the Teriyaki, you should come by so we can have a chat.

-Kieran
Old 01-20-2010 at 05:43 PM   #8
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

Glad to see your site is up. That was a weird set of circumstances. Best of luck!

huzaifa47 says thanks to McMaxwell for this post.
Old 01-20-2010 at 08:28 PM   #9
Gilmour

Liked: 4 Times

My favourite point of this campaign is the whole required courses being offered in the summer. I took a third year required course a few years ago in the summer and had so much more time with my professor, smaller class, and got a much higher mark than all my friends who took it during the regular school year. After I took that course it was never offered in the summer again. I think more students could benefit from this like I did!
Old 01-20-2010 at 10:06 PM   #10
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

I will comment on his campaign and think of as many reasons as I can as to why it sucks

-Required Courses During the Summer Term
Yes, waste the schools money. It's simple supply and demand.

-Students Teaching Teachers
It is a research university. You just answered your own problem.
How about if you hate your prof you go see the dean of the faculty?

-Replacement of MUSS Email System
lolGoogle. no.

-Ancillary Fee Restructure
You're saying Part-time students get the same benefits as everyone else without paying the MSU fee?
c'mon brooo, for some part time students (not all), they are part-time because they work to pay for their tuition. now you want to charge them more? dick.

-Courseware
So you want to take profits AWAY from Titles? hahahahhaaaaa, good luck bro'

Last edited by Chad : 01-20-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: against Code of Conduct

ytpos likes this.
Old 01-20-2010 at 11:29 PM   #11
andrew22
Account Locked

yah we could maybe chat, but im a little scared of the outside world to be honest. it would be cool if one of the campaigns was all about dreaming and having so called "unrealistic" ideas. (: that would be most fun.

Last edited by andrew22 : 01-20-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2010 at 01:06 AM   #12
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
I will comment on his campaign and think of as many reasons as I can as to why it sucks

lolGoogle. no.

You're saying Part-time students get the same benefits as everyone else without paying the MSU fee?
c'mon brooo, for some part time students (not all), they are part-time because they work to pay for their tuition. now you want to charge them more? dick.

-Courseware
See, this is why I half like your posts, and half dislike them. You mix some valid points in with completely non logical ones

You're right that supply and demand should be dictating what courses are offered- both during the regular year and during the summer. But we need to show the university that there is a demand for these courses being offered during the summer before they start supplying them.

Our school is a research one, but that doesn't mean that we can't also have great teachers. A prof like Dr. Dej does lots of cool research, but then also manages to be a great teacher. This is a relatively low cost, low effort point that gives profs the opportunity to hear exactly what students want. No prof wants to be known as a bad teacher- and while they might not all listen to the tips offered, some will.

Google is awesome, and you didn't actually make any logical point here. So yeah, I don't see a problem.

I think you're misunderstanding this point a bit. I'm going to defer this point to Huzaifa as he knows it a bit better than me :p

Again, I think you're missing the point. We've gone over in other threads the fact that Titles doesn't make large amounts of money off of the courseware sales. We're talking about lowering production costs here. There is also the fact that Titles is routinely overbooked for courseware printing, so this helps take some of the strain off of them. Plus, when you add in that weird feature of copyrights that means the more you print, the higher the unit price is, breaking them up into smaller chunks makes sense.

But that's the beauty of Kieran's campaign, you can add your imput and have it changed now. Stop by one of the workshops to talk about it!

Last edited by Marlowe : 01-21-2010 at 01:12 AM.

ytpos likes this.
Old 01-21-2010 at 07:28 AM   #13
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Again, I think you're missing the point. We've gone over in other threads the fact that Titles doesn't make large amounts of money off of the courseware sales. We're talking about lowering production costs here. There is also the fact that Titles is routinely overbooked for courseware printing, so this helps take some of the strain off of them. Plus, when you add in that weird feature of copyrights that means the more you print, the higher the unit price is, breaking them up into smaller chunks makes sense.

But that's the beauty of Kieran's campaign, you can add your imput and have it changed now. Stop by one of the workshops to talk about it!

Titles has also made it quite clear many times, such as on this one committee which many book publishers, university book stores and students unions discuss ways of making this stuff cheaper. I cant remember what the committee is called but it has some acronym that deals with PIE(mmmm Pie). anyways, giving them a small profit from cheaper courseware also gives them more of an incentive as well as aiding in Titles goal of offering cheaper stuff for students.
Old 01-21-2010 at 07:28 PM   #14
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Kieran is holding discussion sessions with people who want to get involved with a campaign, and especially a strong movement of students to benefit your academics and student life. They are held KTH lobby from 6-7pm and 7-8pm(there are two sessions) from monday-thursdays! Come on out and have your voice actually heard by a presidential candidate!

hope people are checking out the website! There are comment sections under each platform point! please leave some constructive feedback!
Old 01-21-2010 at 11:16 PM   #15
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post

lolGoogle. no.

-Courseware
The use of Google is what loses me on this one. Too many privacy concerns with them. An alternative or an improvement is needed, but G-mail isn't it.