Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
50%50%50%
Average 85%
Kin 4Q03

Amazing course! Only one of its kind in North America. It is a TON of work though. It involves labs, tutorials, 4 presentations, debates and roundtable discussions. The most fun part is designing and implementing a lab session with a child athlete and comparing effects of exercise with adults. It's really as close as you can get to the real world. O and prof is awesome too. Kin only.

blue15, KRan, maryam17 all say thanks to mitch for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Kin 4Q03!

Old 01-20-2011 at 06:41 PM   #2
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times
with blimkie?
Old 05-01-2011 at 03:52 PM   #3
KRan

Liked: 10 Times
I took this course in Winter 2011 with Dr. Blimkie. The course takes the exercise physiology knowledge you learned in 2C03/2CC3 and looks at the differences between children and adults with respect to these topics.

Course Breakdown:

1. Theory Lecture Presentation 25%
2. Lab Presentation 35%
3. Journal Club Seminar 10%
4. Take-home Midterm 10%
5. Take-home Final Exam 15%
6. Participation 5%

This course was my favourite of all the Kin courses I've taken so far. It is TONS of work though. The first half of the semester was run by Dr. Blimkie - there are articles and textbook chapters posted online and then discussed in class. The midterm was based on these classes. The second half was entirely student-run. In the first week of class you chose a group of 4-5 people and then work with the same group for the whole semester. There were 6 topics to choose from.

1. Running Economy
2. Fuel Metabolism
3. Anaerobic Power
4. Muscle Strength
5. Body Composition
6. Bone Development

Each group did 3 presentations. You first ran a lecture on the theory behind your topic. Then you had to design an experiment based on what you learned in the theory lecture. Finally you found a recent journal article that advanced/refuted the knowledge of ANOTHER group's theory presentation.

Although this class was way more work than any other class I've taken, it was very rewarding. You work closely with a TA, so what initially looks very overwhelming becomes manageable. My group's TA was amazing and reviewed our presentations with great feedback. Your marks are based on both Blimkie and your TA's assessments. Blimkie is also very approachable if you have questions.

Tip: If you meet up and work in Ivor Wynne, you'll run into Blimkie almost every time, which lets him know how much work you're putting into the class but also a great opportunity to get clarifications or ask questions.

Overall, this is a great course and by the end, you will know more than most exercise physiologists on children's unique responses to exercise!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search